Engine Bay Undertray

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Speaking of the 6's, do the MKII's have a bulb fitted in the gear quadrant? No point pulling to pieces if it doesnt!
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mongoose100 wrote:Speaking of the 6's, do the MKII's have a bulb fitted in the gear quadrant? No point pulling to pieces if it doesnt!
Yes, it does...

Driving both marks of V6, I'd be lost if it didn't. Driving the MK1 mostly It's not intuitibve for me to look at the dash repeater to see where the selector is...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Xac wrote:You could always take out a second mortgage and treat yourself to a brand new one :)
Go on then, how much? I could do with a laugh. :?
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:In an S2 V6 you're oblivious to it as there's no oil temperature gauge, it's place being taken by the gear position repeater. The S1 V6 has an oil temperature gauge and it's a bit of a frightener really...
What sort of temperatures does the oil get up to then?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Penguin wrote:
Xac wrote:You could always take out a second mortgage and treat yourself to a brand new one :)
Can't remember off the top of my head but I think it's over £150
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:
Penguin wrote:
A gallon?
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:In an S2 V6 you're oblivious to it as there's no oil temperature gauge, it's place being taken by the gear position repeater. The S1 V6 has an oil temperature gauge and it's a bit of a frightener really...
If you lift the bonnet on a V6 after a longish run on a hot day, it's a bit like opening the oven door whilst cooking the Sunday roast!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

f00lzz wrote:
DickieG wrote:
If you lift the bonnet on a V6 after a longish run on a hot day, it's a bit like opening the oven door whilst cooking the Sunday roast!
The heat the radiates out is scary. I've seen the oil temperature hit 115 degrees without too much effort...

That means the needle has gone well past horizontal and any temperature gauge that goes past horizontal on the up is a bit concerning..

Old V6, under normal circumstances, runs just below 90 on oil temperature...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Xac wrote:
Penguin wrote:
:lol:
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

After reading a fair bit about oils, I'm more than happy with temps up to (but not above) 120. "Apparently", oil starts to break down rapidly at temps above 130...

Of course, I accept the fact that not everything read is gospel tho - would like some fellow input on this
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

My undertray fell down at the front, so the scraping was maybe even worse for a few seconds with the airflow pushing it down.

I grovelled underneath in the layby looking at how many bolts needed removing, and instead tied a piece of thin rope across between 2 loops at the sides, conveniently a couple of inches behind the leading edge.

A couple of the fixings at the front are like broken off studs, and there are a couple of things like self-tappers, perhaps put there a few months earlier by the garage which did a bit on bushes or track rod ends, and the washers have pulled through the edge of the tray.

I've since bought some large washers, then sheared a couple more bolts off so they are studs, wondered about more new screws, and maybe some kind of edging strip to tidy up the front edge, but the rope is still there; they weren't fussed about it for the MOT.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Engine Bay Undertray

Post by Gregg1100 »

On my 1.9 TD, the undertray ended up broken at the rear, so took it off before it fell off, and never bothered to refit it.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

Penguin wrote:
Xac wrote:
Penguin wrote: Go on then, how much? I could do with a laugh. :?
:lol:
I bought a brand new one for my 1.9td 1995 for about £40 from a Citroen dealer that had one in stock in Gloucestershire unused, still in the packaging! Get you local dealer the do a search on "prism" and see if there's one available?

Regards

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for the info Mark. As it turns out my council weren't as efficient as I had thought (I should have known better). Yesterday, following a more extensive search of the area, I found my old tray! Now just got to get some bolts/washers and refit the damn thing.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

MY first cars undertray disintegrated on dual carriageway. Was on whay bak from work one night and there was a bang and a helluva noise like a flat. So got out and checked tyres, they were okay. So got back in car and the noise was there but getting to 70 I noticed things bouncing on the road in the rear mirror so pulled into crappy layby. My undertray had detached at the front and the wind had obviously caught it and bits were flying off.

Anyway too dangerous to check so pulled up some farm track and realised on checking I would have to take off. Luckily I found a multitool I forgot I had and got the mats out the car. Bearing in mind I was in shirt/tie and best mucker, I lay on the mats only for the biggest most kickass thunderstorm (read monsoon) to arrive as I was lying in the mud. I got soaked.

Never replace tray. Always worried re errant stone hitting something important but never did. Had other things to worry about.

The other car tray came off at back and again all the bolt holes broke off. (They seem very brittle) anyway the wind has not been able to pull it off but I did notice that the garage had used zip ties to tie it up. I guess they broke it when they changed the oil.
C'est pas possible!