Xantia oil temperature gauge fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Daniel
My Cars:

Xantia oil temperature gauge fault

Post by Daniel »

1994 VSX with oil temp (yes a pressure gauge would have been more useful, oh well..) gauge, either doesn't give a reading or very low (50 deg C). Looked through the Andyspares cataloge but nothing corresponds to a temp sensor replacement. Any ideas appreciated.
Daniel :o)
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

That's probably the correct reading then. The temperature the gauge will read depends entirely on the journey your doing.
For example my 94 VSX auto will read below 50 deg C most of the time if I'm just driving around town. It will rise if the temperature outside is hot like recently here 32 dec C, which is hot for us here, but only after a sustained period (30mins-1hour) in heavy stop/start traffic , like we get here in London. Now for normal driving on 60mph/100kmh limit roads the temperature will rise as the engine is obviously working harder, in which case the temperature usually rises to 70 deg C. And with sustained high speed cruising at 80+mph/130kmh+ then the temperature will rise to 90 deg C. If your driving is a journey of 5-10 miles in town or around town, your oil is not going to get warm. Another thing that will affect the temperature is the oil you are using. With Mobil semi-synthetic in my car the temperatures were about 5-10 deg C lower than those I am getting now, with another brand of semi-synthetic. Obviously I'll be changing back to Mobil again.
So I wouldn't panic, by the way what is your water temperature reading, I had a faulty thermostat, that was stuck open and wasn't letting the car warm up, which caused low temps on both the water and oil. Replacing the thermostat, had temperatures in a much better range.
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Reffro what were ordinary temperatures of coolant with that faulty thermostat in Your Xantia and what model do you have?
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Prior to changing the thermostat, the car was running at 62-64 deg C in virtually all conditions out of the town/city. A little higher in town/city driving 70-80 deg C, and if I was stuck in traffic for a time it would reach 92 deg C and the fans would cut in. But once on the move again it would soon fall to back into the 60's deg C. Once the thermostat was replaced, the car now runs at no less than 82 deg C once the engine has warmed whatever the speed. In town the temperature climbs more slowly to the point when the fans cut in.
So was obvious to me the old thermostat was jammed partially open, and was also not fully opening when reaching the right temperature. Now that's all changed, the engine warms up very quickly, and the heater works better now, previously it was struggling to warm the car at all.
Oh and my car as mentioned in a few threads is a 1994 2.0i 8v VSX Auto.
Daniel
My Cars:

Post by Daniel »

Water temp is at 80-83 deg C all the time (thermostat/coolant replaced last week in service).
Looks like the oil temp is correct; we're in the middle of winter here so it will probably rise in summer no doubt.
Thanks!
Daniel[:)]