How to change Xantia timing belt?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_l

Post by mark_l »

Thank You, Anders!
It is so easy with this forum![^][8D][:D]
Neil T
My Cars:

Post by Neil T »

Richard said:
"I'd say enjoy, but it's a nasty, nasty job!"
I wouldn't disagree with you, but at least thanks to you guys the job's well done.
But when Richard said "get your beefy 22mm socket on the crank nut", I really should have taken him literally, then I wouldn't have shattered my socket from a cheapo set!
Actually finding the flywheel locating hole, then pinning the thing was the biggest frustration. It's at 7 or 8 o'clock in relation to the end of the starter motor as viewed from the RHS (if you could view it ho ho). It can be seen with your head about where the towing eye is and the Haynes picture helps a bit in confirming you've found it. I borrowed the dipstick to find the line up with the hole, which worked well being smaller diameter and flexible, and did it no harm, then after guessing the centre from the amount of pulley movement, I successfully pinned it with a straight rod with a slight bend at the end from the RH wheelarch. Having now done it, keeping the rod, and having written it up I would hope to be able to repeat this more quickly and easily next time.
Sods law kicked in making me locate the crank a second time after first pinning it with the cam and pump wheels 180% out (examine the Haynes pictures).
I was glad to have used both methods of keeping the timing correct, and the white marker confirmed it might have been easy to get one tooth out between the pump and crank pulley by allowing too much slack.
I grieve for anyone doing this job with only the Haynes manual to help them, and without the confidence to ignore rubbish about removing suspension spheres, removing crank pulley nuts *after* pinning the wheels and other nasty elephant traps! If the manuals were written from a distillation of the wisdom on this forum, they'd really be worth something!
Thanks again, you were really spot on with everything, although having said that I didn't actually bother undoing any hoses, as these didn't get in the way overmuch.
Now to turn my attention to the suspension performance. I may be back soon![;)]
Best wishes, Neil T