S2 Xantia V6 - Apologies in Advance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, I don't think there is an obvious connection between the two but I'll go and check the relevant diagrams for you...

Tomorrow should be an ideal day for V6'ing. Surely everyone will be in full Royal Wedding mode?

Go to a car boot, you never know what you might stumble across :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

There is a connection (if you will please pardon the pun!) That's supply KK to the cabin fuse box.

It originates from maxi-Fuse B in the engine bay (one of the overgrown fuses) and then from there it goes to the ignition switch, specifically to the brown ignition switch connector.

Check you have +12V on both parts of the brown ignition switch connector when the ignition is on. If there appears to be voltage there, measure again with the blower on or whilst you try to motor the seats. You may find it is there with no load (no current being drawn) and it disappears as soon as the fed circuits try to draw current. The brown part of the ignition switch supplies only the blower and seat electrics in the MK2.

Let us know the results of your tests Dave...

EDIT: If the voltage is present on both sides of the brown connector when the ignition is first switched on but disappears as soon as you try to motor the seats then the ignition switch is most likely duff...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Many Thanks Jim,

Will Report back.

Is the Brown connection on the ignition switch fairly obvious

Cheers

- Dave -
Last edited by gadgetgricey on 28 Apr 2011, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

"Supply KK" is just a designation Dave. It describes the route from fuse B to the cabin fuse box via the ignition switch.

Which of the big fuses did you blow and how?

If it was B then the surge through the ignition switch may have damaged it.

You can test this by disconnecting the brown connector at the ignition switch and linking the pins together with suitable heavy wire. If everything them works then it's the switch.

Also, check you have 12V present (with the ignition on) on fuses F5 and F21 in the cabin fuse box. Again, check again when trying to motor the seats.
Jim

gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

CitroJim wrote:Which of the big fuses did you blow and how?

If it was B then the surge through the ignition switch may have damaged it.
There is an extra relay under the steering column (see earlier posts), that the wires had come loose on, and I must have connected them back up the wrong way. :oops:

Fuse wise it was the 60A maxi, and I think there was only the one.

If the switch is damaged I presume there will not be power to the two fuses quoted.

Getting ahead of myself a bit, but is it possible to repair the switch or is a new one the norm....

Thanks again

- Dave -
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

CitroJim wrote: You can test this by disconnecting the brown connector at the ignition switch and linking the pins together with suitable heavy wire. If everything them works then it's the switch.

Also, check you have 12V present (with the ignition on) on fuses F5 and F21 in the cabin fuse box. Again, check again when trying to motor the seats.
Checked the fuses and no power there. Have not bridged the connectors yet as not sure of the brown connector. Is it this one below??

Also had a go at sorting out the "additional" wiring. I believe this was installed by an after specilist, which is quite scary. No connector blocks or anything that I can see. Just wires cut up and threaded together, and insulated with much electrical tape.

Can figure everything as wires have been cut into, and then new wires routed somewhere. The only issue is the connector shown below.

Two wires go into the connector, and then two new wires come out, but dont go anywhere. Is that conector meant to plug into somewhere??

- Dave -
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Goodness me!! she really has been butchered!! Ive never neen that much mess on one before... Poor you Dave...

In the first picure thats the Steering wheel ANGLE sensor connector.. will have nothing to do with your power loss...

Looks more like the Ignition switch harness has been messed with...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Paul

I think it actually looks worse than it is.

Any ideas where this brown connector is that jim mentioned?

Cheers

- Dave -
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Yes, they wired satnav into the ignition with additional switches on the steering column cowl. Don't remember how it was connected to the stereo or if it was.
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Theres 2 colours isn't there - Black, brown and another colour.. It looks like your pointing at the Brown one, SO with a LARGE think wire, pull them apart, and bridge the plug that goes up beside the heater.... the car should then come to life if I read wha Jim is saying... By Life I mean all accessories should come on...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, there are three big connectors going to the ignition switch. Brown, Grey and Black.
Jim

gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Ahh, as per the thread title apologies, but its sort of making sense now.....

I was looking on the steering column itself for the brown connector, not on the left hand side, where there are the three blocks. (Brown, Grey and Black)

I only pointed at the brown one, as that was the one which had been wired up, and I was not certain what it did.

However, hopefully the photo's below may explain.

Wires 1 & 2, have been connected directly to the brown connector block.
Wire 1 is labeled "Brown Load N/O"
Wire 2 is labeled "Brown Feed N/O"
Wire 3 is split/connected into the Grey block, and is labeled "Ignition from Coil"
There are also wires 4 & 5 which are in the top corner and are just taped up, not sure if they are connected or seperate.

You can see closer in the photo below.

Any ideas how to fix/repair this mess.

Do I need to connect wires 4 & 5, up to the brown connector block, only asking as I cannot see any other spare wires for that to connect up to

Once I get this sorted, I can start trying to fix the horn again :oops: :lol:

Thanks again

- Dave -

Edit: As per previous entry will try and connect up wires 1 & 2 tomorrow morning to test and see if that brings the blower and seats back to life. Ideally would like to get the wiring sorted properly though.

Cheers
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Are wires 4 and 5 connected to the ignition switch???? If so then they need connecting to the brown plug.....

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citroenxm wrote:Are wires 4 and 5 connected to the ignition switch???? If so then they need connecting to the brown plug.....

Paul
Hi Paul.

I'll trace them back in the morning. Defo not connected to the brown block.

Even in its current state, with all those wires hanging down. The car still starts, its just that the blower and electric seats dont work after I messed around with the relay that was wired in.

Are we fairly confident that I can scrap all the extra wiring, and just reattach wires 4 & 5 to the brown connector.
If so, do they have to be connected up to a specific wire on the brown block, or can I just connect wire 4 to one of the spare wires, and then wire 5 to the other.

Cheers

- Dave -

N.b. Sorry for all questions above. Plan of action for tomorrow morning is to connect wires 1 & 2 together to see if that brings back the seat motors and the blower.
If that works, I'll then remove all the additional wiring and connect wires 4 & 5 up to the brown block and see what happens. :? well I've got a 50% chance of getting the wiring the right way round, if they need to be connected the "correct way"
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, if you need more circuit diagrams, just shout...

You should find the V6 is wired much the same as your scrap 2.1TD. You can use that as a reference...
Jim