ZX jumping out of gear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

RichardW wrote:My local garage only charged 1.5 hours labour to change the FWB on our Picasso - not worth getting the tools out at that rate!

The MA gearbox fitted to the 1.4 has a habit of lunching its final drive, so 2nd hand units are sought after. Having said that, this doesn't sound like a box failure to me - I'd be looking for a broken / worn engine mount (does the engine rock back and fore when revved?), or a broken pivot on the linkage somewhere.
1.5hrs is £90+vat at my local Citroen Indy. However, last time I did a bearing on a ZX, I removed the hub and took it, with a new bearing, to the nearest backstreet garage and he fitted it for £15 cash. This was 5 years ago mind, but I'm sure they'd all like to make a quick few bob without bothering the tax man ;-)

As for the ZX box, I had a problem with a 1.4 (I had two TDs and a 1.4). It started jumping out of 5th on the motorway one day, and within 50 miles, it got stuck between gears and I coasted over to the hard shoulder. AA man said it was goosed, so I gave it to my brother. He rived at the gearlever and drove it around for months with only 4 gears, until it died completely. I'd only paid £150 for it, so it wasn't a great loss.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My most local garage - the MOT station I use - can be trusted with a lot of jobs on a Citroen, even some suspension tasks and they only charge £34 per hour.
They would sort that in an hour I'm sure.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry Richard/all
i just lost the plot by the time we got this far into this thread,

i was thinking AX :oops: :roll: :lol:

besides i was another year older the other day :shock:

regards malcolm
handyman
My Cars:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CITRONUT

Post by handyman »

Malc, you kept that quiet! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :bd: :cd: =D> \:D/ :ass: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :cd: :domo: :tgif: :lolsign: :juggle: :monkey: :pp: :dom: :wiggle: :yikes: :yeah:

H, :wave1: