2012 MOT New Requirements

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred1

2012 MOT New Requirements

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Came across the new (proposed?) MOT requirements from 2012 onwards.

What caught my eye was the inclusion of tyre pressure monitoring systems if installed as original equipment. A failed sensor being a failure!

Not clear how they would test this as car needs to be >25mph to operate. Also if de activated by lexia it would not show up.

I also spotted a check for "chipped" or mapped ecu - Illegally modified systems were a fail- is this "anything other than original"?

Has anyone any more info ?

Is it going to be retrospective or only apply to care registered after 2012?

regards

John
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: 2012 MOT New Requirements

Post by Kowalski »

fred1 wrote:Hi,

Came across the new (proposed?) MOT requirements from 2012 onwards.

What caught my eye was the inclusion of tyre pressure monitoring systems if installed as original equipment. A failed sensor being a failure!

Not clear how they would test this as car needs to be >25mph to operate. Also if de activated by lexia it would not show up.

I also spotted a check for "chipped" or mapped ecu - Illegally modified systems were a fail- is this "anything other than original"?

Has anyone any more info ?

Is it going to be retrospective or only apply to care registered after 2012?

regards

John
The valve stems on the tyre pressure sensors fitted to many cars are aluminium and corrosde to the point that they can disintegrate without warning. When I got my C5, the valve stems were in poor condition, the top of one came off when I tried to remove a valve cap, they were solid with aluminium corrosion which meant that you couldn't check tyre pressures or in fact put air into the tyres. They were dangerous and I could understand why they might become an inspection item on MOTs.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I should imagine it'd only apply to post 2012 cars.
Like how my car can pass the emissions test even though I can quite cheerfully hose people down with particulates :lol:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

My local MOT guy told me the other day that one of the many extras he'll have to check next year is the correct fitment of the towbar and it's electrics - guess they'll need to plug in a lighting board. Thing is, the test will get even more convoluted and longer so fewer cars pass through the test bay and time costs money. Cars will be failed next for having door pockets full of sweet wrappers or the wrong brand of air freshner!?

Does seem the less features on the car, the less scope for failing something!
My early Gs doesn't have hazards yet cannot be failed as it wasn't a requirement back in 1973!!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Regardless of whether or not you have a towing license, or indeed if it's connected? :wink:

That seems like a very silly addition.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Security of tow bar was added to the MOT a couple of years ago.
That change just meant that the chassis fixings and metalwork became critical areas for examination and failing on rust holes etc.
This will just add a functionality test for the electrics.
Raises the question about leaving a towbar on a car if you are never going to use it.

John
Xmexclusive
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

There are also suggestions that checks will be made that a catalytic converter is present if originally fitted, so owners of de-catted diesels may have problems.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i spoz next they will test/check the nut behind the wheel at the MOT,

will that mean i will have to take the owner/customer along locked in the boot :twisted: :roll:

regards malcolm
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Malc, I thought you did that to the owners anyway until they had paid the bill! :P

Luckily, these changes in MOT testing procedures are rarely retrospective.

Why do you need an electronic sensor to tell you that your tyre pressures are low? Is this because drivers are now getting so stupid that they cannot use a tyre pressure gauge or are they just lazy?

Mind you, it does amaze me how many cars drive about on under-inflated tyres. When told, most drivers look at you as if you came from Mars. :yikes: :rofl:

Thinking about it, Malcolm's suggestion about testing the loose nut behind the wheel might not be a bad thing. "Lights on, but nobody home, Sandwich short of a picnic......."

H, :wave1:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

handyman wrote:
Why do you need an electronic sensor to tell you that your tyre pressures are low? Is this because drivers are now getting so stupid that they cannot use a tyre pressure gauge or are they just lazy?

Mind you, it does amaze me how many cars drive about on under-inflated tyres. When told, most drivers look at you as if you came from Mars.
Precisely this!

Following an particularly horrific accident in America caused by under-inflated tyres there was legislation passed that required all vehicles to have tyre pressure reporting technology.

The fact that most of the time it is inoperative or misleading is subject for further debate.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so next you'll be telling me there developping a device to automaticly pump a low presure tyre back up on the move :shock: ,

so the lazy s o d's/couch spud's dont even have to get out of there car/seat , :frown:

regards malcolm
Last edited by citronut on 20 Mar 2011, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:so next you'll be telling me there developping a device to automaticly pump a low presure tyre back up on the move :shock: ,

so the lazy s o d's/coach spud's dont even have to get out of there car/seat , :frown:

regards malcolm
They already exist Malcolm.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

talking of couch spud's have you all watched the kiddies fillm Walli,

regards malcolm
stedmancinques
My Cars:

Post by stedmancinques »

From what I have read, the test for remapped chips will only apply to post 2011 cars because of software/diagnostic reading issues. I am sure that the manufacturers of remaps have already devised switchable modes between OE and re-map. It's quite a big industry, after all.
There are changes to exhaust regulations also, as well as checking for chafed insulation on electrical wiring harnesses, and a few more warning lights (electric power steering, etc)

There are also new regs about after market Xenon headlamp kits (fail) and non working headlamp adjusters.

Now those of us that have been driving cars with self-levelling headlamps for the past 30 years...........

The one about tyre pressure monitoring is interesting; these devices, of course, do not read the tyre pressure of a revolving wheel, they monitor vibration levels in the suspension that would be typical of running on a deflated tyre. Friend of mine has a Renault with them fitted; Don't know what it's like where you are, but in this part of rural mid-Kent, where the country lanes are rapidly becoming potholed cart tracks, the damn thing is always going off. Being a conscientious sort of a chap, he was always stopping to check, just in case. But now it's a case of crying wolf, so he doesn't bother till he gets home, or wherever it is that he is going. Main stealer says the system is working perfectly, of course.
1964 DS 19
1973 Ami 8
1982 GSA Break
1981 GSA C-matic
1997 Xantia Auto
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R