Xantia forum, a thankyou.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

penners
My Cars:

Xantia forum, a thankyou.

Post by penners »

I have recently purchased a 1995 Xantia 1.9 TD with 110,000 miles on the clock after 2 owners. There were faults I knew of when purchased.
With help from this board and the Haynes manual, most jobs have now been completed. It takes time to understand the workings of the suspension. With a little bit of knowledge, a good book and other peoples experience you get there in the end. I do have the advantage of a working knowledge of hydraulics being a HGV mechanic by trade.
1. Oil leak & constant pulsating/ticking from the pressure side of the pump.
2. Rev counter intermitant.
3. Brakes a bit suspect.
4. No history on cam belt renewal.
5. Suspension sinks a bit when engine stops.
6. Takes 30 - 45 seconds for the "Stop Light" to go out.
Remedies.
1. Removed the outlet pipe from the pressure valve on the pump, then removed the valve, I was suspecting the seals being u/s. I found a small spring under the valve and what looked like a "seat" of some sort rather mangled. Possible the spring seat. Removed the damaged part, refitted spring & valve, refitted pipe.(The seal appeard to be ok) I still need to get to the bottom of the mangled bit, no larger than 3-4 mm diameter.
Result: Oil leak stopped but pulsating/ticking still there.
2. With the help of this board through searching thru old threads I replaced the rev counter sender @ the back of the engine. Rev counter ok now. I nearly replaced the Alternator for this due to HGV's rev counter pulse is taken from the Alternator!
3.Front brakes were fine, rear brakes partially siezed & rather worn.
Brakes now fine, will improve after rear pads are bedded in.
4.Cam belt replaced. I found the belt slack after stripping down & the water pump a bit suspect. I removed the starter motor to get to the timing hole on the fly wheel. This was the longest I have ever taken for a cam belt change inc the water pump. 6 hours in total, but I imagine this will be reduced in future belt changes. I do intend to re-tension the belt in about 5,000 miles by slackening off the tensioner lock nut & adjuster.
5 & 6. These problems along with the pulsating/ticking were solved today by the replacement of the rear anti sink (no change, however I could not veryify the age or pressure of the shere) & the front accumulator spher. The front acc sphere was knackered, it was full of oil (which meant he internal membrane had ruptured) & a bit tight in the removal (The tightnes was over come by applying pressure with strap & light tapping for about 2 minutes with a lump hammer on the end of the spher to shock the threads)
New front accumulator made all the differance. Suspension stays up, ticking has stopped (I got fed up waiting for the second tick after 2 minutes). Stop light goes out after 5 - 10 seconds when cold.
Many many thanks for all the posts on different jobs other people have completed, this helped a great deal in the diagnostics in determining what to replace. I think I have been lucky in only having to replace 2 Speres, 1 cam belt, 1 water pump, 1 thermostat, 1 fuel & Air filter, oil & filter change, 1 rev counter pulse cable, 1 set of rear pads. All told about £200 in bits. I now understand why you either hate the Citroens or love 'em. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, don't buy one, but if you do, you will love 'em.
Most parts purchased from Andyspares.
Thanks.