Xantia clutch pedal height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy5
(Donor 2022)

Xantia clutch pedal height

Post by andy5 »

I have a 1999 Xantia HDI with about 170,000 miles

The clutch pedal height has been about an inch and a half higher than the brake, with clutch action starting maybe about level with the brake pedal

Getting in this evening, even before trying to start, I noticed that the pedal went down more easily than beforehand, and had a strange feel slightly like going through an over-centre point about mid-travel.

Starting, most of the travel is dead and the clutch disengages very near the floor, or perhaps there's even a slight drag with it right at the bottom.

I gambled and drove a return journey of about 15 miles, with quite a few gearchanges, and it didn't get worse

So can I pick people's brains please?

I assume that either

- the cable may have stretched and be about to break

- a mounting for the pivot point of the pedal may have come loose

- maybe a clutch bearing is just about to collapse ... but there's no odd noises at all

- the clutch disc could be worn enough to need changing ... but why would it get worse so suddenly?

- the cable may have slipped where it attaches at the clutch end

- something else.

I'll have crawl around tomorrow, but meanwhile can anyone come up with suggestions what is most likely?

I'd had 2 broken cables and another change on my 2 previous BXs, partly due to poor installation by dealers, but otherwise no clutch problems in 400,000 miles on 3 cars, so apologies if this query is a bit naive
Last edited by andy5 on 14 Mar 2011, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Hi which BHP HDI dod you have as 1 is Hydroulic & the other is cable ?
My car is hydroulic and the pedal is about 1 inch higher than the brake pedal.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

ah, I didn't know that, I may have asked a stupid question

it's the 110 bhp version, from September 1999
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Its a hydroulic clutch then !
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Thanks. That shows you that someone who does some simple servicing himself and leaves trickier stuff to others can have some knowledge gaps. :oops:

Ok, next daft question. Is the clutch linked with the LHM filled system or does it have its own separate circuit? I've never noticed something like a clutch reservoir half-hidden round the back of the engine.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's a separate (and very expensive) once piece hydraulic system. The clutch is pull type and failure of the clutch is normally the release bearing pulling out of the pressure plate. Unfortunately this tends to eject the piston out of the slave cylinder, which then causes all sorts of hassle with re-bleeding it. The symptoms you are describing does sound like the release bearing might be making a bid for freedom - investigation required before it gets to broken stage (although I'm not sure what investigation you can do without removing he box....:roll: )
Richard W
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Well, now that I know it's hydraulic, and remembering back to an old Volvo or Rover years ago, it feels like it needs bleeding, though yes it could be worse.

I've just done the same 15 miles again, and I'm wondering if the point it engages is coming back up, or I'm just getting used to the lower position.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

I have to agree with RichardW,
Sounds exactly like what happened to mine..at around 170,000.

Hope you have use of a second car, (if it is the release bearing going awol).Me personally I wouldn't plan a long journey,rely on it for work etc...although you could always crash the box/gears to limp home...

And as Richard also states, I don't know how you could check it,(unless there's fluid leaking from the slave cylinder etc),apart from taking the 'box off..and even then,would it be blatantly obvious by eye that it's goosed? They do go with a right bang,so I suppose one day they work, then boom lol.

Hopefully you could be lucky, as in your bleeding theory..worth a try. The 'sealed' :roll: (the top just pops off...), small master cylinder reservoir is on the bulkhead,drivers side,(rhd, uk etc) :

Here's my post on bearing failure,(11 pages,get the kettle on or some tins and peruse :lol: ) It covers just about all of the hydraulic clutch operating system:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... sc&start=0

*edit* just thought of maybe another possibility?
Clutch clip?
Maybe because I personally have no idea if the hydraulic clutch pedal has one..someone else will hopefully enlighten me : )
Hope you get it sorted :wink: ,

Dave.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Thank you.

Yes, I found your thread a few minutes after my last post, and have been engrossed

I'm not sure I've got a bearing failure though, or not completely yet. Wouldn't there already be some telltale noise with that? Maybe I'd better listen from outside instead of in.

I think I can forgive myself for not having previously noticed the reservoir though. I even went out with a torch earlier and looked in that area and wasn't sure if that's what I was looking at.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

andy5 wrote: I'm not sure I've got a bearing failure though, or not completely yet. Wouldn't there already be some telltale noise with that?
In my cars experience,and a few other pull clutches ..no.

I'm guessing you're old school,like me. Clutch squeel,rattle,rumble etc,push clutch in, noise goes away..dry/nakered bearing etc.

These pull clutch release bearings seem (to me), to be under far heavier loads than a push clutch,which squeel,give warning etc.

The pull clutch seems to be fine and dandy,light as a feather (ish,with age) one day, then bang,the release bearing literally rips apart,in two pieces.

Wish I'd taken a pic of the clutch, (which was fine,as others have stated,it's the bearing that seems to be the weakest link..)but I gave it to the scrapman..

Never know though,hopefully a good bleed?

but no,there's usually no warning,from what I've heard.

Is it the original,170 odd miles clutch?
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

It is the original clutch, but even so I would think that my use of it is lower than average, as not much of my travelling is in towns.

What brake fluid is it, by the way, DOT 4 or 5?