Basic Car Moving Questions (Legality, Options, Obligations)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

You can keep a vehicle off the road without SORN provided you maintain the insurance and road tax. You would also have to MOT it when due to be able to renew the road tax when that was due. Not a very economic option just to avoid declaring SORN.
On the day you become the keeper of a previously SORN vehicle you must send off a V890 (SORN declaration in new keepers name) if you wish to renew the SORN status. The only other alternative is to insure the vehicle.
Another new twist is that the new V5 for the vehicle will exclude the rights to personal scapping of the vehicle. At present you can pillage for bits but must then send the remains to a registered disposal facility.

John
Xmexclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont see why they would Adam, but they would probaly get you for a diferent offence, maybe littering a public highway,

when ever i have declared SORN a new aquisition i always wait till i get the new V5C before doing so, as i can then do it on line,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

...Another new twist is that the new V5 for the vehicle will exclude the rights to personal scapping of the vehicle. At present you can pillage for bits but must then send the remains to a registered disposal facility.
Insane; removing the ultimate right of people to determine the fate of their own property.

In many ways, it looks like the cheapest "remote control" way out is to pay the present owner (should they be amenable) to scrap a car with professional help you pay for - this leaves everyone with the most straightforward means of complying. Of course, should the vendor be unhappy about the idea, then I (or whoever) would be forced to go through the transfer/SORN/towing/scrappage rigmarole...

Don't you blokes get the Tom Tits about loss of absolute personal freedoms?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: Don't you blokes get the Tom Tits about loss of absolute personal freedoms?
'Fraid it's how this country is going Adam, we're being legislated to death :evil:

Virtually everything we do, except breathing perhaps, is subject to some law or another and is taxed wherever possible...

It's bad.

It's going to get worse before it gets any better.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

In a beautifully serendipitous moment, a suitable parts car came up on Oz Fleabay. $2K plus $700 towing (around £1650 all in).

I was starting to visualise a £400-600 UK donor vehicle costing a thou by the time it were broken for me (purchase, towing, labour, paperwork, carcass disposal, without even posting any bits.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hey Addo, in your ignorance, did you not know we employ people in this country to find malicious and malevolent ways to continually screw us? :shock: They're usually called politicians and civil servants, although I have another cruder expression for them.

All vehicle drivers are seen as cash cows to be milked at every opportunity. The weird thing is we let them do it!

The easiest and cheapest way to move a car with no documents, RFL , MOT, etc is to flatbed it or trailer it. It can be sorned or not then, as it is not physically on the highway. Be a bit silly for a copper to stop you on an ANPR check if the wheels aren't on the ground.

As for cutting the back end off the car on the side of the road, that is illegal, as a vehicle must be moveable at all times on the highway.

I had an interesting discussion with a plastic pig (CPSO) as I had removed the wheel of a Xantia, at the side of the road, to fit a new alternator belt. I had positioned an axle stand under the car, for safety and he construed that I had made the car immoveable by doing that. I just thought he was a **** having a bad day. He did not have an answer for me when I asked him what to do if you had a puncture and needed to change the wheel. He had to walk away to have a think about that one. Never did get an answer.

Handyman
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Re this driving of other cars, my insurance states that I can drive other vehicles, but I'm not covered if they are registered to my spouse.

Means I can't drive my wife's MX without being a named driver - which I am.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Handyman - someone here, once asked why the (perceived) rudest single word in English was named after one of their favourite body parts... You've got to pay that!

How long before you have to SOFN your shoes or slippers when not worn? Bureacracy really is leading the charge into dumbfounding us with pointless rules.

The info so far, has been very productive overall - it's made me realise that for UK sourced cars to be financially viable, they must typically yield another £1.2K or more of net value above previous calculations.

My next non-donor car will (hopefully) be a Series 1 Silver Shadow; ideally with blue or green leather and complementary exterior. At least I've had good practice with spending lots of dosh, dealing with LHS and regassing spheres under my belt. :lol:
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

This is a very interesting thread on topics very close to my heart.

Only 1 in 20 speeding tickets in London ever ends up in prosecution....apparently the courts are absolutely creaking at the seams.

People who are going to break the rules always will.

The new Sorn regulations are completely unenforcable, they may send fines, but don't pay them and they are unlikely to get pursued.

driving a car untaxed, I have been stopped twice with no tax and nothing has happened. It is not an endorsable offence, as long as you have insurance and MOT, even no MOT rarely results in points.

I have also had 2 gatso tickets over the years that have resulted in nothing. a few letters, but no court date.

Lets stand up for our rights here.
Insurance is a must but that can be bought instantly over the phone, the buerocracy of the DVLA's systems and processes are a nonsense.
2002 C5 V6 Exclusive auto LPG
1997 Xantia TD SX £200 bargain
1993 Xantia DLX (now dead)

Then after a 10 year Citroenless gap

1995N Xantia Activa
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

like in surance is a must so is the MOT, if you aint got a valid MOT your insurance will be vouid,

also i belive they tot up your unpayed fines then come looking for you, then throw the book at you,

regards malcolm