C5 V6 auto box fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

yeah, I've done that, the challenge is that it states that it will be between 2.7 and 3.3 litres as you cannot cannot be completely certain what will remain in the torque convertor.

will 300ml each way be critical?
2002 C5 V6 Exclusive auto LPG
1997 Xantia TD SX £200 bargain
1993 Xantia DLX (now dead)

Then after a 10 year Citroenless gap

1995N Xantia Activa
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd be uncomfortable with that level of "accuracy"! Have run out of suggestions from here, though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Allan, my advice would be to get the 'box as near to the test temperature as you can and then play it as per the guidance I posted on page 1 of this thread in the PDF document...

The temperature can be either guessed at or an IR thermometer aimed at the gearbox casing will give a reasonable approximation...

As said, overfilling the 'box is not good for it at all.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stedmancinques
My Cars:

Post by stedmancinques »

There is a PDF of the Citroen manual for the 4HP 20 available here;

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/va ... aining.pdf

It's quite clear that Jim is absolutely correct; only the LT71141 is specified.

Cheers, Kevin.
1964 DS 19
1973 Ami 8
1982 GSA Break
1981 GSA C-matic
1997 Xantia Auto
sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

Re: C5 V6 auto box fluid

Post by sonoramicommando »

does Esso/Mobil LT71141 have shelf life?
the dealer price is ~50NZD per litre and mobil distributor is ~300NZD for 20 litres.
reading the thread, i need around 4 litres to do the change, i would get it from the distributor if it doesnt have shelf life, even though i dont have a fleet of C5's or plan to do yearly change or something like that.
can anyone comment?
thanks,
sam
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Sam

Nope, it's like all oils, no shelf life as such and it'll be fine in all respects. After all, it has a minimum lifetime of ten years in t operation!

I'd be a little happier if what I bought was in a sealed can but that's only to be sure it's the pukka stuff and has not suffered any adulteration or contamination.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sonoramicommando

Re:

CitroJim wrote:Hi Allan,

Here's the procedure for checking the 4HP20 fluid level...

Be aware that you can only do a partial change as half the old fluid is trapped in the Torque Converter. It's a good idea to do two partial cvhages in succession..
a couple of quick questions,
if i was to replace the fluid,

1) am i supposed to check the level first and top up as necessary at the correct temperature, then drain out, measure the drained volume and replace the exact amount (and check the level at 60°C again) and repeat the process?
2) is 60°C the standard operating temperature or does it go higher by much more? (if so, how quickly does it go up?)
3) do i really need the tools mentioned in the link or can i make do with regular pliers and funnel/hose combo?
4) is there enough room underneath when the suspension is at its highest position or does it need to be on jack stands?

sorry some of the questions are pretty basic (like 3) & 4)) but the car is in storage at the moment.
cheers,
sam
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Sam,

here's what I'd do...

1) drain when the gearbox is hot, measure the drained amount and then refill with the same amount.

2) The gearbox after a good run will get much hotter than 60 degrees. If you get the gearbox about half-hot you'll be OK. Take the car for a quick spin until the water temperature gauge is reading about 60 degrees, stop and you should be OK. Remember the gearbox is coolant cooled so if the engine is at 60 degrees then the gearbox will not be far off either. Oil checking temperature is not as critical on the 4HP20 as it is on the AL4.

3) No, you can fabricate a filler funnel. Mine is a normal funnel with a long plastic tube on the end. A normal pair of pliers will remove the blue breather plug OK.

4) I don't know on a C5 but I pop a Xantia up on stands at the front and put the suspension on high so the car is more or less level. The level check plug is inboard near the RH driveshaft so access is fair.

The level check plug can be very tight. Make sure you have a good Allen key to fit it and beware that excess oil will fly out at a good pace and will be very hot so take care!

Hope that helps Sam.
Jim

sonoramicommando

thanks - i do have lexia so i can monitor the temperature, but wasn't sure how much time i have to do stuff.
i was asking if i should check the level first (and adjust the level necessary) before draining, because maybe with the fresh fluid, which would be at room temperature, the level might be off quite a bit.
i ll have a look at the access when the rain stops - which won't be for a few days yet =(
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

sonoramicommando wrote: i was asking if i should check the level first (and adjust the level necessary) before draining, because maybe with the fresh fluid, which would be at room temperature, the level might be off quite a bit.
Unless you know you've had a leak it won't be far off Sam. To top up first and then drain is just a waste of expensive fluid!!!

You have plenty of time - you'll see on the Lexia the temperature hovers around 60 degrees for a good while.
Jim