Back to where we started

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well, I'd rather drain via the sump plug whenever possible. Can't believe you'll ever get quite as much old oil out by suction via the dip-stick tube
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I don't think you would get it all out, although it might be a bit better for some sludge it would not get it all.

The paper elements I find messy and they do not always drain so you have to carefully and spotlessly clean the inside of the cannister without contaminating it, well you do if you are like me and want to get as much old oil out as sensibly possible. :) :oops:
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Xantidote wrote:Well, I'd rather drain via the sump plug whenever possible. Can't believe you'll ever get quite as much old oil out by suction via the dip-stick tube
Exactly the tube, and therefore the dipstick will be located where space allows this won't be exactly where it needs to be, to ensure a good suck out on all vehicles, especially older vehicles.

Also it's all very well a main stealer having this sort of equipment, but imagine the scenario where a customer expects all the oil to be changed, and because of this method not all of it comes out, and also how secure is the sump plug, as it could be insecure, or fitted with an incorrect seal, which has detioriated.

As it's all covered with panels underneath, compared to early vehicles some years back, no one now checks the plug, and how secure etc it is, also given that they can be magnetic, and will collect debris which would be cleaned off using the old method, when does this get cleaned off now, never or once in a blue moon!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Some of the newer cars do not have a sump drain plug from what I hear, although I've yet to see one. I think newer Jags are like this.

Would love clarification on this :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

spider wrote:Some of the newer cars do not have a sump drain plug from what I hear, although I've yet to see one. I think newer Jags are like this.

Would love clarification on this :)
Well that would make for messy job when the sucker equipment is broken, and the sump has to removed.

Is that the Mondeo/Jag model?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Smarts don't have drain plugs and I've heard Merc A classes don't either.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !