S2 Xantia Horn failing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

Genius, now can I ask for the next response to be sent to me personally on Marilyn Monroes knickers? :D :D
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

And now on a more businesslike note, do you mean the connectors at the horn end or in the steering wheel?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

At the horn end.

I was also planning to buy one of these but if the life span is so short, I might REconsider it seriously :roll:

Edit: If you get 12V there then the next step would be to connect 12V supply directly to the horn to check if it's working.
Caution, use ear plugs :lol:
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Cassy's had Halfrauds airhorns since shortly after I got her, without problems.

I first got a set when I had a 205 where the alarm was basically the horn beeping. Now the 205 is not fitted with a loud horn. Infact one might call it the limp handshakes of horns. So an alarm based on it is more likely to have any potential theif wetting themselves with laughter rather than in fear of drawing attention.
The air horns changed all that. It could be heard on the motorway at 70mpg by other cars around me.
Then when I got my first Xantia I swapped the horn for a pair of airhorns from Halfrauds using their fog light wiring loom.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

I am now feeling horny again 8-)

As the relay near the fuse panel by the driver's knee was clicking, I started by testing the power feed from the battery down to the horn, vie the inline blade fuse. No breaks here, good voltage. Next, the earth wire back from the horn up to the earthing point beside the battery, again no problems. Carried on checking all connections, and while these were corroded from exposure to the elements, I found no breaks. Tested the horn by connecting it directly to the battery feed, found horn to be working well (ouch).

Must be the relay, thinks I, so I went to my local factor (Autosave, Bridge of Don, Aberdeen - always had great help there) and got a replacement.

Fitting was the reverse of removal, I thought it better to re-make all the connections with fresh ones and replaced the wire with new where I could. All set to test, got my eldest to sit in the car and test it. Nothing. Nada, zip. Out with the meter again. Everything fine.

Finally solved when I noticed I had got two connectors wrongly connected to the relay. Moved them to the right positions, got the wife to test the horn, let's just say the ringing in my ears has almost subsided. :D

I have now tidied everything up and took the time to weatherproof the thing a bit more than when I fitted it last year - since it was simply corrosion to the relay which had caused the failure. I have vaselined all the metal to metal connections, taped them up with gaffa tape, used said tape to totally enclose the relay and also to cover the base of the horns where there are two connections.

Lesson learnt - I should have considered the effects of the elements when I originally installed the horns. Which incidentally are just as loud as they ever were. I would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone wanting replacement or an upgrade. Small and very loud. Just need a bit of care and weatherproofing when fitting.

Ainslie.