Another new Xantia Owner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also a belated welcome Phill flashing lights and all,

dont look into the light :twisted: :lol: ,

i dont have ABS on my 98 1.9TD estate and have never had an underpant change setion, YET [-o< ,

also before i posted my last offerings above, i looked in a XANT owners manual, that is were i get my ammo from :wink:

i think your flashing lights are coinsidental,

also i have never understood the reasonning behind one ABS sensor failling over any of the other three,

as the all are being flexed, front by turnning the front strut, and rear by the trailling arm movement,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: also i have never understood the reasonning behind one ABS sensor failling over any of the other three
It's French Malcolm :D :D That's why... :roll:

Although it's so often the OSF that goes, and on that there's no dispute, my count to date has been one OSF and two NSF. Maybe it's the Milton Keynes Roundabout effect? :lol:

The NSF on the V6 is a 'mare to change as the connector is just behind the inboard CV joint and space is just a tad restricted...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Blimey you've all been busy since this morning :D
I'm reckoning the first thing I'm gonna do is check the resistance between pins on the loom and see if I can pick up a faulty sensor that way and out of curiosity im gonna have a look through the vent and see if I cant spot an LED.

Regarding my window problem, is the window loom part of the main chassis loom or is it independent and plugs in inside car?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

nick19800 wrote: Regarding my window problem, is the window loom part of the main chassis loom or is it independent and plugs in inside car?
It part of the main loom Nick...

Here's the schematic circuit...

The harnesses involved...

And the location of the various components...

And that's just the front ones :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Nick
you dont need to look through any vent for an LED, as its pointting out in the centre of the inch or so square temprature sensor grill, right next to the digital time clock,

and it has absaloutly no bearing on the ABS system, i belive this is what is called a red herring/kipper/macrill or something fish'y :wink:

regards malcolm
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Thanks for that but to be honest if theres a break in the wire it's more than likely gonna be in the section which bridges between the door and chassis so I may just have hack the sound deadening foam back and pass the loom back through the side of the door to get a proper look at that part of the loom.

Unless theres an easier way of course :lol:
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Just tried a controlled emergency stop and the abs is definatly not working.
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Just checked the resistance between the pins at the abs ecu plug and it appears thT I've got 2 dead sensors 1 rear and 1 front oh goodie.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's a straightforward enough fix but not fast - try the Ebay Germany sources I suggested, for cheap sensors.

Make dead certain the sensor "barrel" is not being compressed when the sensor is in there; a smear of heavy waterproof grease inside the hole should delay corrosion for a while. While you're going, check condition of the toothed rings - I have seen them fail from corrosion.
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Yeah I've found a couple of guides on changing the abs sensors and it seems that only real problem with changing them is if there seized but thats a not a problem, what exactly do you mean by ''make sure the barrels not being compressed when the sensors in there''?

Also I found a couple of abs sensors on uk ebay for £12 each

Nick
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Not had to change a rear one but I've heard a handy tip is to tie some string to the end so you can then pull the lead of the new one through easier.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what is ment by the sensor being compresed is by the build up of corosion in the eye/mountting point,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Exactly. The poor sensor gets squished from the sides until it's rogered.

As a side remark, ABS issues of this type are almost unknown in Australia - no road salt and too much warm weather. :P
nick19800
My Cars:

Re: Another new Xantia Owner

Post by nick19800 »

Well after about 6 months of happy motoring (once I'd fixed the windows and changed the abs sensors) the car flew throught the mot which was great but as of the last 3 days I've had major problems as I'd be driving then suddenly the car would be running on 1 maybe 2 cylinders with the engine management light coming on then going out and the on etc etc anyhow I get home and the cat is glowing bright red to the extent I thought it was gonna burst into flames.
Now I'm thinking coil pscks/plugs etc, I changed the plugs and it ran fine for a day and then it came back, Before I go and buy a set of coil packs which are fairly pricey I was wondering if anybody may have a similar issue?
But what I really want to do is plug it into diagnostics that work as I found out that obd2 does not work, I am half tempted to go buy a lexia 3 but I'm kind of desperate to get it running as I start my new job on monday.

Oh yeah, how robust are the o2 sensors as I was wondering wether I may have killed it the first time it started misfiring?

Nick
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Another new Xantia Owner

Post by lexi »

Hi Nick/
Remember to take precautions under the car............and I don't mean wearing a Condom :mrgreen:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2