R9UKE's French Car Blog...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad

Re: R9UKE's French Car Blog...

Post by Citroenmad »

robert_e_smart wrote: And the piece de resistance was a drive in the Vel Satis again. Man what a crazy car! What were Renualt thinking! However, I am glad they were, its such a cool car.
Im sure you mean Avantime Robert? Unless Luke has got himself another? :lol:
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Yes! Avantime. I have been getting told off all day for calling it a Vel Satis as well.
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

Thanks Mark, I was thinking the same today while standing back and looking at it.... really, really wish there was a 3.0 V6 in it! :cry:

What's odd about the air box KP?

Robert you'll never learn, I don't think you've ever given it the right name. Glad you enjoyed it!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote:
robert_e_smart wrote: And the piece de resistance was a drive in the Vel Satis again. Man what a crazy car! What were Renualt thinking! However, I am glad they were, its such a cool car.
The Avantime is such a bonkers car it really ought to have been a Citroen...
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:
The Avantime is such a bonkers car it really ought to have been a Citroën...
:lol: I saw one yesterday, they really stand out on the road, certainly a collectable car.
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

The Avantime met another completely bonkers French car today - here's a few pics.

Finally, I got to drive a mad Citroen that uses the right fuel! What a car. Insane in every way, just like the Avi, and it certainly doesn't hang about. The turbo kicks in with a fantastic Whooooooosh and away it goes. The leather seats are so French and the louvre just beautifully completes it. Thoroughly impressed, though I'm not sure I have the balls for CX ownership just yet.... :lol:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Is that yellow bloom, gorse? :shock: It's endemic in parts here; horrible weed.
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Indeed it is Adam.

I think you will have to get one Luke. You enjoyed it too much not to! Did Pat not try and swop the Avantime for the CX?

I had a good drive in this CX GTI Turbo 2 today, and love it to bits. Its such an excellent car to drive. Activas; waste of time, get into one of these, and then see what a big fast Turbo charged Citroen can do!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The Avi and CX look a lovely pair together :-D

I wonder what a union between the two would produce?

An updated CX with some styling cues from the Avi and a V6 engine - Bliss...

Luke, I think you're on the slippery slope and a CX will soon wind up with you... It's bound to happen...

And I'm sure Robert will be only too happy to assist in you procuring one :wink:
Chris570
Donor 2020

Post by Chris570 »

I'm not knocking the CX's but i don't get the fascination, surely they can't be quicker than a properly setup activa...
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

They feel so special and so good. How I wish the XM had Diravi. An Activa is a rather numb experience. Ok you have the sensations of going round a corner quickly on the flat if it all goes right. But the CX can go round corners fast as well with a bit of roll.

If you are one for modifications, Franklin is the man to tell us about Maikonics.

The offspring of the CX and Avantime would be interesting.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

You only have to drive both a CX and a Xantia in the Australian summer, to understand what is so special about a Xantia. 8-)

I actually think Luke needs a good RWD Peugeot; possibly a 505 Exec if there are any sound ones left in the UK or Europe.
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shane went to great lengths on Aussie Frogs to try and "insulate" his car against heat.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

That was because he had ditched the S1 Xantia after being un bâtard radin and it popped a strut bracket through the bonnet. Had to salvage his pride!
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

R9UKE wrote:Finally, I got to drive a mad Citroën that uses the right fuel! What a car. Insane in every way, just like the Avi, and it certainly doesn't hang about. The turbo kicks in with a fantastic Whooooooosh and away it goes. The leather seats are so French and the louvre just beautifully completes it. Thoroughly impressed, though I'm not sure I have the balls for CX ownership just yet.... :lol:
=D> =D> Hear Hear! Glad you've got to experience the brilliant-ness of a GTi Turbo 2 Luke. Now, when are you buying one...
Chris570 wrote:I'm not knocking the CX's but i don't get the fascination, surely they can't be quicker than a properly setup activa...
You'd be surprised Chris...

First up was the Series 1 GTi Turbo, then the Series 2 GTi Turbo and finally the Series 2 GTi Turbo 2.

The Series 2 GTi Turbo 2 has the intercooler, and slightly different pistons and compression ratios due to the intercooler. AFAIK the actual turbocharger has some differences too. Also, the CX GTi Turbo 2s have smaller cc injectors too. The GTi Turbo 1's have a low ratio gearbox, so will affect the top speed slightly but by no means are the GTi Turbo 1s a slow car though...in their day, Dad used to have 'burn-ups' along the motorways and dual carriageways with Merc 190 Cosworths and came off best. 140+ MPH is easily achievable on private land.

The GTI Turbo 2s are a quicker car and I think that they kept the same 168BHP figures due to French tax laws etc. I would say that the GTi Turbo 2s were running about 180BHP standard. ALL GTi Turbos or Turbo 2s have their own personality...you will not find two a-like...some are faster than others.
robert_e_smart wrote:How I wish the XM had Diravi.
:lol: :wink: :wink:
robert_e_smart wrote:If you are one for modifications, Franklin is the man to tell us about Maikonics.
Quite simply...There's only about 10 "Maikonics Kits" left worldwide from the research I have carried out. From 1989 to 2000 he had done 58 conversions ranging from 220BHP to 400BHP. They all start from a "Stage One Kit" which most people went for as it was the most bang for your buck. £500 +VAT saw a converted AEi, Modified Wastegate and Racing Spark Plugs which saw an increase of power to 230BHP for T1s, and 250BHP for T2s (320 FT/LB Torque). They offered other modifications that include S/S Exhaust, Head, Cams etc etc. If you're intrested I can bring the full Maikonics Literature with me to the X Rally on Sunday... You can build on the Stage One set-up all the way - just look at CGAT now. However CGAT has taken it to a complete new level...! That thing don't half go... :shock: :o :o