405 SRDT injecion pump leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's looking good Ron :D

I'll have to pull a pump apart to check the spring free length but yours looks good.

I can also check on the cracking you speak of but unfortunately it cannot be done now before the weekend. Are you able to wait?

If I look at a dismantled pump here I can answer some of the wear questions much better...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
patanga
My Cars:

Post by patanga »

Hi Jim

I'd rather get it right than rush things, so I am happy wait to hear from you. I really do appreciate the extra effort you are taking to assist.

This paragraph is a later addition, but rather than place it at the end, I've edited it in here. I was speaking with a pug parts supplier today and he put me on to a retired diesel mechanic and I was able to get a few answers from him which I'll share here. Rather than put you to the trouble of stripping down your spare pump, I think these answers might serve both our curiosities.. He did say that of the hundreds that he had done that he never had to replace a drive coupling spring or a distributor head body. I guess that we can take that as both these items in my pump being ok. He did labour on the importance of post rebuild recalibration and correct assembly. In relation to assembly he also mentioned that the lift pump outer ring was cambered for left or right direction of rotation and to be carefull of correct orientation with that in mind.

I know when I sent the parts away to be cleaned that I had them in the correct orientation, plus there was a tarnish witness mark on the bottom of the ring confirming its seating position. On return however the ultrasonic cleaning had removed the witness mark and I can't see a noticable camber on the pumping surface of the rotor ring to be sure of its orientation. Have you heard of this and do you know how I can double check this?

He didn't seem too worried about the mention of the wear mark on the lift pump pressure plate or cross coupling. He said it wasn't usually there but if it bottomed out it would be. Otherwise no biggy in the scheme of things. I also mentioned the drive shaft end float and as you mentioned he asked about the housing bushings but assuming they were good some end float was ok.

Moving on; Thinking back to the lateral movement of the front shaft that I mentioned earlier in this thread, it would be occuring in the drive coupling spring area. Other than the drive shaft thrust plate there doesn't appear to be another mechanism short of the spring, the drive coupling and the thrust washer to limit the drive shaft from floating back a bit when turned with the tension of the cam belt attached. I recall that I wasn't able to duplicate the movement when the pump had been removed from the car.

The pump is currently assembled up to the lift pump, pressure plate and roller cage and with the roller cage held down firm in the casing I was able to measure close to .4mm of float in the drive shaft using the side face of governor drive gear as my reference. Image

The only way I can see to reduce that clearance is to fit a thicker thrust plate. From what I can see, the roller cage is going to move from side to side with some possible lateral movement as well when the timing piston aticulates. In theory then this will allow the drive shaft to move a little more as well. Yes / No?

When I measured the combined movement (i.e. roller cage and drive shaft included) I got close to 1.5mm of end float. Image
That additional lateral movement is of course coming from the oval connecting pin slot to the timing device in the bottom of the housing. I can't see any way to reduce that clearance.

Seeing now how these pumps are put together I'm wondering if that end float at the sprocket (when on the car) might be normal? There would be an inherent clearance created by the drive coupling spring. My theory is that as the spring is compressed via the cam plate, the clearance, or part thereof, is taken up to accomodate the travel and to maybe serve as a damper. This same clearance would also allow the shaft to float back and when the shaft and the cam plate take up all the clearance that point is where the cross coupling and the drive shaft dog drive touch and hence the witness marks and maybe the clicking noise as well. Your thoughts?
Cheers
Ron
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ron,

I'm sorry it has taken so long to do a decent reply to this thread :oops:

I've stripped a pump this afternoon and this is the findings.

The wear you see on the sides of the body in the region of the roller cage is normal... Here's the inside of the one I stripped:

The free length of the spring I measured at 16.2mm so yours is fine.

I made an endfloat measurement by pressing hard on the back of the roller cage and using a DTI to measure the end-float. 0.27mm. Yours at 0.4mm should therefore be OK.

In service, the pressure applied by the two large springs exerting pressure on the roller swashplate via the shim should result in any endfloat being completely taken up throughout the full revolution of the drive shaft. You can check this by assembling the pump fully except for the governor (the weights are not position critical by the way) and throttle plate and rotating the pump to ensure all endfloat is in fact taken up during a full rotation. The two big springs exert a very substantial pressure.

A small witness mark on the cruciform drive piece is normal. It's on the side facing the driveshaft.

The lift pump ring is indeed "handed". Your man is absolutely correct. This picture shows the correct orientation and it's visibly easy to see. The widest part is to the left.

The wear on your pump plate looks a little worse than this one

But there is plenty of end-float potential on the roller cage and a very smooth witness mark can be seen on the side of it facing the plate. This large range of end-float is normal enough. Having said that, the roller cage should be a good, tight fit in the pump body bore and this can be seen that when reinstalling the cage; it must be pushed into the bore absolutely square or it will bind.

Hope that is OK Ron and I've learned a lot from all of this. I thought I knew this pump fairly well but I now know it a bit better so thanks for that!!! :D :D :D

Reassemble your pump very slowly and if anything is not clear, get in touch. I'll leave mine disassembled to act as a reference for you until you're home and dry with yours...

Next time I'll answer a bit quicker but you know why there's been a delay this time. Happily, things on that front are improving a little and the spanner therapy has been good for me today :D

Looking forward to hearing from you very soon :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
patanga
My Cars:

Post by patanga »

Hi Jim

Thanks for your thoughts... I am finding this new learning fascinating and I'm glad if my journey has been able to add a little to your knowledge as well :D Your explanation on the orientation of the lift pump ring proved invaluable as up till then I was looking for a cambering on the inside running surface of the lift pump stator ring. When the diesel technician said "camber" I immediately thought of the pumping stator i.d. surface, not the orientaion of the eccentric offset. I was looking for something completely different. You definition helped and when I dismantled and double checked things it became obvious that I had oriented the ring for operation in the opposite direction. No good for the 405. Will get back to the rest of it later.
Cheers for now.
Ron

P.s. I've since reassembled the pump and I'm satisfied that everything is correct. The ultrasonic bath removed the zinc plating from the external steel parts so I had those replated to prevent them from rusting. Lucky I didn't send all of the steel items in to be cleaned. Note the shiny cover plate in the pic below.

Recalibration is next and I'm hoping to have that done over the next couple of days. I made sure to record and restore all of the original settings so I'm expecting it will be close to right.

I will let you know how it goes in a few days, once it's back on the car :D

Cheers
Ron
Last edited by patanga on 09 Mar 2011, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.
patanga
My Cars:

Prime & test pump?

Post by patanga »

Hi Jim

There's been a delay in getting the pump calibrated due to the guys workload. In the mean time I am keen to prime the pump and turn it over to see what I can get out of the distributor head. I've filled the pump with diesel and have been turning it over by hand with a socket and bar but all I seem to be getting is some diesel flowing from the return line. Is there anything else I should be doing? Is hand cranking enough or does it need to have some RPM's? Do I need to supply 12V to the cut off solenoid? etc etc.

Thanks
Ron
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You will need to supply 12v to the cut of solenoid (or remove it and fit it temporarily without its spring / rod / plunger)

Caution: Its not safe to use diesel to bench / hand test it really. LHM is preferred, but still keep the outlets pointed away from you or others.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
patanga
My Cars:

Post by patanga »

Hi Andy. Thanks for your tip. I used the diesel because I wasn't sure what else I could safely put into the pump and I wanted to make sure it was well lubricated internally to prevent any rust from forming. I've also attached pvc tubing to the outlets and am running them into a container to prevent fuel from being sprayed everywhere. "LHM" is the oil used in Citroen hydropneumatic suspension systems right?
spider

Post by spider »

Yes. :)

I remember Jim saying he used LHM to bench test them. Derv is a bit dangerous at its 'outlet' pressure to say the least. The outlets spray quite far :o

Well, the pressure is dangerous, but the fact that its in the atmosphere is not good.

I think he said that as I was not sure what to use at the time, I think I was going to use paraffin as that's slightly greasy but I'll go with the 'expert' recommendation. I'm sure he'll be along when he reads this to confirm or not. :)
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

LHM is fine but expensive just for a test. We Citroen owners always have loads of LHM kicking around so it's easily available. I've also used filtered second-hand Hydraflush (a fluid used for flushing LHM systems) and LHM for pump testing.

A good and fine test oil, so long as the pump is going back into service soon, is ordinary culinary Vegetable Oil such as rapeseed, canola or sunflower oil. One oil not to use on any account is olive oil. Why olive oil is not good I'm not sure but it's a waste as it's the best stuff for cooking with :D
Jim

patanga
My Cars:

Post by patanga »

Pump is back from the being recalibrated. I wasn't going to bother but the guy offered a really good price and allowed me to watch the process so I had to satisfy my curiosity. Interstingly I was only a fraction of a turn out on the max fuel screw and all other adjustments were within spec. What the bench flow test was able to determine was that the plunger and head are worn and are only flowing to minimum spec. Not enough to cause problems yet, but something to be aware of for future. Plus I was shown what is involved in reeming the front housing bushes if ever I go that far. Beware if you want to tackle that job, as a special reeming jig is required. Not just a hand reemer. Other than that the pump is now working perfectly and is ready to be fitted. Weekend calendar is full though so it will have to wait for a few days.
patanga
My Cars:

At last

Post by patanga »

Hi Jim.. Well I finally got the pump back on and running today. I ran into another delay with a broken stud on the top engine mount.

It seems to be running fine under most conditions but I now have a cutting out symptom as the car slows down. It seems to occur mainly on the over run when in gear and slowing for a corner or traffic. The motor cuts out at the most inconvenient of moments. At first I thought it might be air in the system and so I re bled the filter can and also the pump via the return line. That didn't work and so now I'm thinking what to do next?.. The Idle speed on the instrument cluster tacho shows 500RPM so I'm wondering it resetting the idle higher might help?.. Have you come across this symptom before?
Cheers
Ron
spider

Post by spider »

Idle with a warm engine and the fast idle cable slack should be around 800 to 900 rpm.

It may be that and also your antistall wants adjusting a bit too.

Set the idle speed first then see how it is, as when you adjust the antistall the idle speed changes slightly anyway.
Andy.

patanga
My Cars:

Post by patanga »

Thanks Andy... I thought the idle on the tacho seemed a bit low. Motor sounded fine though. By the way, where can I find the anti stall device? Fast idle cable is the one to the waxstat at the thermostat end right?
spider

Post by spider »

Yes, the fast idle is the waxstat one. As long as its a bit slack when the engine is hot (ie: its not pulling the lever) that's fine.

Erm, I would show you which is the idle and which is the anti stall but I don't have a Bosch pic to hand. :( :oops:
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Ron,

Excellent news :D

The idle screw and anti-stall adjustment screw are shown in this picture.

As you look at the pump, these adjustments are on the back.

If your pump does not have the damper and anti-stall screw exactly as above then it'll be necessary to adjust the idle screw and the screw that works on the fast idle lever plate in combination to get the right idle speed when warm and to ensure the engine does not falter as the throttle lever is rapidly moved from near full-open back to rest. I suspect that just upping the idle will do the trick for you...
Jim