Consensus?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adrianeaton</i>

when cornering hard or going round roundabouts, the fluid moving to the left of the car is enough to cause the stop lamp to come on if the level is at the 'correct' position.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Like I said, I've never seen that happen and it's not because I'm not cornering fast enough. I'm an ex white van driver and had 10 points on my licence at one time[B)].
Catalin
My Cars:

Post by Catalin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adrianeaton</i>

when cornering hard or going round roundabouts, the fluid moving to the left of the car is enough to cause the stop lamp to come on if the level is at the 'correct' position.
Like I said, I've never seen that happen and it's not because I'm not cornering fast enough. I'm an ex white van driver and had 10 points on my licence at one time[B)].
Wow, I must be driving like a mad man [:D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

its a shame points dont mean prizes [:D]
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

its a shame points dont mean prizes [:D]
They do. 2 more and I would have got a bicycle.[:p]
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Sorry guys but it's the LOWER (yellow ) disc. It is in my BX (1991 TGD) owners manual - pages 42-56, levels, checks for all engine types, it was in my 1983 RD manual, my wife's 1994 Xantia TD manual, her 2000 Xantia HDi manual, a Russek manual etc. To quote from the book " the yellow disc must be between the two red rings". The yellow disc is the lower disc. If you want a scan of the picture clearly showing this I can send you it.
It isn't in my new Berlingo manual????????!!!!!!
By the way, in 20 years of driving BXs the warning light has NEVER come on unless I have not had it at the correct level - happened a couple of times when low pressure return pipes have failed.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

The upper disc is YELLOW, the lower is brass so just looks yellow!!
Having had a good look at one earlier, the brass marker isnt a marker but a stop to make sure the guage doesnt drop too far down. I imagine there is something that will get stuck if it goes too far down.
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pwatson</i>

To quote from the book " the yellow disc must be between the two red rings".<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is what my manual says but the diagram shows the top disc as being <b>yellow</b> when it is actually orange on the car (a minor point).
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> The yellow disc is the lower disc. If you want a scan of the picture clearly showing this I can send you it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes please. efg_homer_j@yahoo.co.uk
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It isn't in my new Berlingo manual????????!!!!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sarcasm????
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

So it's a top yellow disc, although its color is orange and its shape is a cone.[:D][8D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Folks,
At the risk of sounding like the Honest John Forums (and not that I am given to lots of moderating as you all well know) has this topic run its course?
Does anyone consider that they have the definitive answer (Vanny's picture is looking good) or, um shall we move on? Unless proved otherwise.
PS Glad I own a ZX really.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

On all the info that I have, they all indicate that the correct disk to use for the LHM level is the top yellow plastic one.
The bottom brass disk is in fact the switch, when this drops to a lower level this touches the contacts of the warning light circuit.
If the warning light comes on during fast bends, and the level is correct, this may be that the plastic plug at the bottom of the float tube has come off, (this is held in place by a metal spring) and then the damping effect is lost on the float.
Brian.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Now i get it, the Xantia's have the orange disc dont they!! Any ideas what a CX has??
or should i just be quiet?
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Vanny's picture looks good but it doesn't look the same as in my handbook! (1991 TGD)
Perhaps this is the cause of all the confusion. I cant fid a way of including the picture so will send to Vanny and he may be able to include it in another post. Moral is - don't go by colour of disc but it is NOT the conical one at the top but the lower one which indicates the correct level.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

This hydraulics is really extremely complicated. Pipes, sensors, indicators, discs, colors all over the place ...
So, Phil, how do you know whether your LHM tank is overfilled, if the lower disc can't go above the upper mark (at least not in my BX) ?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

Now i get it, the Xantia's have the orange disc dont they!! Any ideas what a CX has??
or should i just be quiet?
CX is yellow & according to all the books I've read it should be set at normal ride height at which point, the disc should be set approx centrally between the two lines; then you find the float or disc is stuck which is why it reads wrong which is when you stick yer finga in tha 'ole & say "that's near enough" & use that system for the rest of your days whilst sitting back in amused amazement watching all these other owners trying to find ways of suffering from ulcers worrying about it.[:D][:D][}:)][;)][:D]
Alan S [:p][:o)]
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Alexx,
It will go TO the upper line and since the book says it "must be BETWEEN the two red rings", if it gets to the upper line it must be overfilled. Book actually shows correct level as being exactly half way between the two red lines.
By the way, I'm not arguing or being stroppy, merely quoting what my BX manual (and, as I said before, my previous BX manual and the manuals of my wife's two Xantias have said - I would also stress that I have not had a problem with lights coming on in following these instructions in 17 years of BX/Xantia driving. But, if your manual says differently, follow those instructions)