Wiper problem, help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Roy, the problem could be the auto park on the wiper motor or it could be a short in the wiring near the wiper stalk or it could be fused contacts on the relays serving the wiper motor.

To get at the wiper motor, from memory, you will need to remove the plastic windscreen scuttle. Do not crack the windscreen removing it! :shock:

Any smoke or burning smells eminating from around the steering wheel?

Sent you a PM about the other car. :wink:

Handyman
RoyChristie
My Cars:

Post by RoyChristie »

Found the main wiper relay behind the carpet above the accelerator pedal, it was a bit green, cleaned the contacts.

Now I have normal and fast wipers again,
no intermittent wippers, no self parking, washers work.
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

the parking problem will be in the motor assembly i reckon, a clean up might be all that is needed
RoyChristie
My Cars:

Post by RoyChristie »

I cleaned it
it worked fine in normal wipe and fast wipe, no response in intermittent, still worked ok on washwipe, still no self-park.

Now it has decided to be permanently on, will not switch off, no park.
The wiper motor(just cleaned) is permanently on with ignition.
Washwipe still energises the washer motor, fast speed still works ok
the thing goes off with the ignition
Also goes off with the switch disconnected

Questions
1. where is the intermittent timer? what's it look like?
2. the dash cover had been out before - do I have the correct wiper stalk?
3. Where is the wiper relay? the one I disconnected/reconnected when I first had the problem don't appear to be it, as the motor runs with any relay under the dash removed
4. Has anyone got a specific list of relays and locations.
5. What's a 1997 Xantia without electrical problems look like?

Thanks for all the help and
please help me from going crazy with this brat.

cheers,
Roy
aquamac
My Cars:

Post by aquamac »

so annoying when you find a thread with your exact problem and you read it to the end only to find - no answer lol

I have exactly the same problem, wiper permanently on on all modes, if i pull wiper fuse and engage intermittant then intermittant works until i got into any other setting including stop in which case the wipers just constantly on and intermittant cannot be selected....

searched many sites and noone seems to know where the main wiper and intermittant relays are located in a xantia mk 1, haynes manual has wiring diagram but not location, there are a couple of relay in fuse boz in engine bay and a couple of green ones under panel above accelerator pedal, but pulling these with the wipers on does nothing?

confused here? thanks
aquamac
My Cars:

Post by aquamac »

ok the intermittent relay is somewhere around the fuse box under the steering column i can hear the little beggar click but having pulled cowling off the steering column and all the mats away i still can see it but i can feel it clicking in that area, its like its on the reverse side of the fuse box or something? does any of this make sense? tried the green one above the accelerator pedal but thats not it, and its not the 2 in the fuse box???

1 solution is the indicators and the hazard warning lights worked most of the time then failed inexplicably for no reason - i figured this was the relay and found that as the big grey relay in the fuse box, switched it and it works fine - in case anyone else had probs with that

anyone know how to get to stuff behind the fuse box?
aquamac
My Cars:

Post by aquamac »

Ok think i found it, its a massive orange relay situated (as you look at the fuse panel) to the left hand side nearest the top of the panel (position number 12), it IS on the reverse side of the panel, as its dark i will have to check this tomo but i can see the orange relay in there having stripped the car down lol, just cant get to it yet as its on the reverse side grrrrrr...

i hope this fixes the prob, will let you know, i found a useful thread here which whebn i read it confused me, but it now makes sense, also has with a diagram which i will try to post here... till tomo

ok dont know how to embed pics but click on the link...
http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Uploads ... 2-f828.jpg

and heres the thread...
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... iper+relay

:)
aquamac
My Cars:

Post by aquamac »

ok finally found the damn thing, it ISNT the large orange relay - (i think that may well be for the intermittent rear wiper - i didnt check) it is a large blue relay situated at the deepest point below the fuse panel right above where the drivers toes are.

You need to remove the plastic housing around the fuse box, which is no big drama as it turns out to be only 6 screws, the relay is screwed into the frame and mounted facing upward. Be careful when unscrewing it as the relay has a mounting clip which i dropped off somewhere and managed to lose duh.

Changed it and now the wipers behave normally and intermittent works everytime - if you have the same problem as me then wipers are on all the time even on park, and intermittent didnt work at all, until i turned off ignition selected intermittant (with ignition off) then turned ignition on at which point the intermittent kinda worked, although switching to steady wipe would never go back to intermittent (hope this makes sense).

Ok here goes the pics first is blue CORRECT relay
Citroen Xantia Mk 1 Intermittent Front Wiper Relay Location / Located

For completeness next pic is orange BOGUS relay

enjoy...