Which to buy? Citroen C5 V6 vs Renault Laguna V6

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

C5 or Laguna?

Comfort before performance - C5
83%
Laguna will tidy up well!
17%

Total votes: 12

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im not convinced. Its a bad picture maybe, as usually i do like the Laguna interiors.

Funny you mentioned the radio as i think its very dated, I really dont like the conventional radio, thank goodness its behind a bit of trim, though that in itself annoys me as it looks messy with it open.

Though i will say thats one thing there is rarely in a Citroen, a good cup holder.

I dont know how you can say the C5s interior looks thrown together, the dash design is far more interesting than many cars, i think it actually got praise from the motoring press when it was launched due to the curvy dashboard with well placed switches.

Mind, i really like the look of the C5 S1 saloon, it took me a little time to get used to it, but i now like it. The C5II is a huge improvement though. It does have presence with its proportions and saloon like appearance. I can't see how the C5s appearance should put people off, and even so, a car should not be judged on its styling alone, they are very good cars.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Excellent contrast in opinion here! In fact, I'm reading through the post in a separate tab so I answer all questions and cover everything.

Firstly - Chris, no manual available with the Laguna, like the C5, it was only an auto! I sold the C5 originally as I only bought it as a means of getting home from England after dropping the Vel Satis off to it's new home, so hadn't really budgeted for that money being tied up long term. I sold it for £950 which was £250 profit. Ferry paid for!

My insurance is due for renewal soon. I'm actually thinking of selling the Mégane and replacing it with either a 2.0 Avantime or a Peugeot 407. It's likely that I'll get laughed at and have to stick with the Meg though (which is no bad thing).

Xac - Interesting point. The quality of that walnut dash was horrific, it had actually cracked in a few places showing gracefully that it's just plastic! And I also prefer the Laguna's interior. It's a smart, clean design. In saying that, I have few complaints about the C5s interior, other than NO CUP HOLDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

And the Renault dCi engine rears it's ugly head again. I don't ever want to own one again. That Vel Satis was plagued by the hideous 2.2 dCi. It's slow, smokey and SO unreliable. Our auction is littered with smokey old Laguna and Espace dCis. The 3.0 Diesel V6 Auto fitted to the Vel Satis and Espace is branded a dCi, but is actually an Isuzu unit... so much more reliable and ownable - If that's a word.

Toby - Nice option actually. Need to drive one at some point.

Citroenesque - I very nearly bought a Xantia V6 that was on ebay a few weeks back. In fact, if it wasn't for my payment being late for the Vel Satis, I'd have it now.

I'll add a poll just for you, Chris!
French is best.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I did 76K in 2 years from new with my Laguna, most of that driving up and down between Portsmouth and Grimsby.
It would often come out with the fuel injection system faulty error, meaning I had to pull over and reboot (was the ecu written by microsoft?) which would nearly always result in a puncture which 9 times out of 10 meant a new tyre at £120.
I was a little lax on the servicing due to the costs and availability at garages, and eventually the turbo blew up.
Renault did replace it under warranty but she was never the same again, much louder and rougher.
PX'd it for a Meganne which was great fun to drive being more powerful, but not as comfortable and didn't have the wow factor for passengers when they got in like the Laguna did.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool