Can't open rear passenger door

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oskin

Can't open rear passenger door

Post by oskin »

My 6 year old Xantia TD Estate has behaved quite impeccably but now the nearside rear door will not open either from the inside or outside. I can hear the solenoid clunking on the cental locking and all appears normal. Anybody got any clues?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My bet is that the link rod to the lock inside the door has dislocated.
It's a known - but happily rare - problem to all cars.
Commonly these rods are located by a small nylon bit each end.
Usually the nylon bit has lost it's clamping action - and won't securely stay on.
May be necessary to visit the scrap yard for spares - but try first your Citroen dealer for this very special (& cheap) bit.
If you miss your luck - the lock mechanism is dry (rusty) and stuck - which means a very bothersome stripdown of the mechanism - plan at least a full weekend for the work.
Either the cause - you need to strip the door to access the problem.
oskin

Post by oskin »

Fortunately I've managed to fix it but with a lot of hassle. The directions for changing the lock in Haynes says "Step 1 Open the door". I then gave up the manual and plodded through all the forums for tips. Ultimately,by removing the base cushion of the back seat, which is easy -just 2 nuts under a plastic cover- gives you some access to the door trim. Remove the door grip, just 2 screws and then explore the trim for push in fasteners. When all are released you can remove the trim by lifting it where it hooks onto the door along the lower window line. There are some electrical push-in terminals along the way. You should now be able to get at the screws which secure the outer door handle disconnecting the operating rods along the way. Now comes the naughty bit: operating from the outside you have to smash the lock, firstly the white cover of the lock itself and then the black baseplate. Thereafter I just fiddled about with the remaining bits with a narrow screwdriver and, lo and behold, it opened. Lock removal is then easy.A new one costs £71 plus VAT and although it fits in the same fixings it is of an entirely different design suggesting the original design was c**p.