CX info required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

CX info required

Post by alan s »

Ever since I've owned my CX series one, '79 model, it has leaked oil from where the pump is connected via a flexible (like a hardydisc) coupling to the HP pump.
As a result, I have now to look at replacing the lower engine mount; now there's a bit of good thinking for you :>( so I decided in my wisdom today that I'd so something about the problem so I disconnected & dissassembled and was real "happy" when I found the pulley on the end of the camshaft had been epoxied on (car was professionally serviced prior to me buying it) due to the spline having been butchered presumably when the bearing or pulley boss had been gently fitted using a sledge hammer.
Upon removing the housing behind the camshaft pulley, I discovered a bearing in there and when removed, could find no sign of any seal on teh shaft which, incidentally, is a larger size once it gets past where the bearing sits.
My question is: does a seal fit on the larger portion of the shaft & if so, does anyone have the dimensions or the manufacturers part number (as I doubt anyone out here would produce it from a Citroen manual). OR, is the bearing supposed to act as a seal as obviously only a small amount of oil gets into that area.
Anyone???????? any ideas????
Alan S
ghostrider
My Cars:

CX info required

Post by ghostrider »

Alan
Is this the 2.0litre 829 engine (ex renault I believe)
Pete
________
No2 Vaporizer
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's the good "old" cast iron Citroen engine found in 2000/2200/2400/2400GTI variants - cam chain driven. This engine type was later modified a couple of times for the 25/25GTI/25turbo1/25turbo2 variants - with belt driven cams - but still same basic construction.
The later Douvrin/Renault engine is an all-aluminium construction in 20/22 variants - becoming available in CX'es from '79 (20 variant) and replaced the smaller variants of the "old" engine types.
These 2 engine types are VERY different. The "old" one having the cam located on the side of engine block with pushrods in all variants. The Douvrin engine have "in-head" side-located cam, with rocker arms directly to the valves (no pushrods) - cam belt driven.
I guess the CX'es that reached aussie - was all 2400/2400GTI variants.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

That's correct Anders, we got the 22 - 24 & 2500 series engines.
More investigations have shown that the seal was not replaced when it was last removed and it would appear that it may be almost impossible for me to get a replacement unless I can find an "SKF" or (whatever brand) part number.
Possibly a verniier to measure or an old motor to strip the part out of so as to match it appears to be the only way I can get it replaced which is a bit of a bummer but never the less essential if I'm to be at the Bastille Day French Car Clubs meet they have annually out here.[:D][:D]
Alan S
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Alan I wonder if one of the Administators could get you the part No off a Cit Microfiche, We have a company called Bearing Services over here who have a useful crossreference list equating manufacturers part nos. to companies like SKF etc.
What the hell were the previous bodgers up to? I don't think I've ever heard of anything being done to cams etc on the M series engine, someone on the forum asked how hard were they to recon to which the mechanic replied when one wears out we'll tell you:-))
I get on quite well with my local main agent if your stuck I could go and try to wheedle the part no out of him
Pete
________
Find Headshop
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm still between a rock & a hard place; it would appear that this "seal" or deflector is fitted at the rear and the engine & the gearbox needs to be separated to access it.
The idea when we discovered this was to fit a seal at the pulley end but when measured, it was discovered that it was 44mm ext & 26mm int.
The best we could get was 42 or 47mm and apparently that's all that is made; full stop.
It has been suggested that as the thing is not a really solid seal that it may be feasible to poke a drain hole in the bottom of the deflector to allow the oil to drain back to its source. Apparently, this is commonly done in performance engines with timinbg chain covers, so that's the option I'm going to have to take.
This means one of two results; either it will cure it & be a very simple mod, or it will '!$$ oil everywhere, which means I'll have to split the motor & transmission & fix it properly.[:o)]
Alan S