Why French Cars?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote:
That's what it's for! Haha.
True, though my posts do go on a bit! :lol:

I have two big dogs, which wouldn't take too kindly to be squeezed into a dark small box that is a saloon cars boot :lol: Though worryingly ive seen it done! I also have to transport things for work and private needs. Just yesterday i had the boot full with a huge reptile vivarium and flack packed stand, i didnt even have to fold the seats! But it would never have gone through the opening of a saloons boot.

So its not that I don't like the look of a saloon, i actually think it makes the car better proportioned in some cases, but they are just not practical for me. Which the C5 does kind of, as it looks a bit like a saloon with the boot sticking out the back but its a huge hatch. I wouldn't discount a saloon if I liked it enough, as long as I had something more practical to use when needed.

Yes, i noticed that about the sensor paced in the middle of the screen, though they have the MPV style wipers dont they, where they sweep in opposite directions, meeting in the middle.

As tempting as a 3.0 is, I can't see me ever owning one. Partly because im a diesel person and Im smitten with them, but mostly because the cost of running one is just not worth the extra outlay for me. I spend a lot of time traveling at motorway speeds and thats when a diesel is perfect. As i can set the cruise to 'some' MPH, waft along in the outside lane while returning great MPG, usually if im being good doing 70 ill get over 50MPG without a problem. Doing relitively high speeds without needing to accelerate would be, in my opinion, a waste of a big petrol. A V6 would still be as refined but using twice the fuel for the same driving. Plus they are usually all autos and I cant live with one of those either.

The only time I favour a petrol is in a small city car, as i get bored of the diesel clatter which resonates through tiny cars at low speeds. And with a performance hatch, but even then id rather have a remapped diesel hatch ...

... However, ive yet to sample the French V6s, though ive been in a fair few and driven a few bigger engined petrol cars.

Ive never had a close look at a 607, their rarely and looks do really appeal. The interior trim does look nice too.

I noticed you had another Volvo, nice is it? :lol:

Funny that Luke, we like similar cars but fuelled by different juice!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Yep, completely different preference for engine... and gearbox! I reckon if I'd have started off with diesels I'd have the same attitude as you. But I went and bought V6s when I turned 18 and have just been used to the effortless power and smoothness of a petrol and learnt to live with poor economy, whereas the power only comes when the turbo kicks in with a diesel - along with a nice puff of the black stuff out of the exhaust :)

The Volvo is 2 years older than I am. The headlining is sagging, the speedo rarely works and there is a country CD jammed in the CD Player. Electric windows and sunroof though plus rather intense seat heaters. I'd post a pic, but this is a french car forum after all! I love old Volvos, but they'll always play second fiddle to the french :D

Yes 607s are a bit of a dark horse. I've never really expressed much interest in them either. The one in work was a 2007 model, facelifted, sold for £4,000. But the speedo was reading 40,000 miles. It was returned today by the buyer who uncovered the true mileage of 150k +(somebody has been busy), so I'm not sure what will happen with it now. It'll probably stick around for a while and I can play with the electric boot :D
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

No puff of black smoke with the HDi :( Shame as it would fend off tailgaters in traffic :lol: Also they are not as torque peaky as older TDs. One thing i love about them is that there is always power and torque on hand when you need it, requiring few revs and gear changes.

A, the Volvo, it sounds like a Volvo .... :lol: at the country CD! Very fitting! I don't love old Volvos, but the 'S's are usually nice cars. S60 and S80 is appealing.

Ah, thats a bit of a problem then. Was it a dealer trade in car? Perhaps they will need to get it back and get in touch with the old owner.

Any sign of an Avantime being added to your signature any time soon?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Citroenmad wrote:No puff of black smoke with the HDi :( Shame as it would fend off tailgaters in traffic :lol: Also they are not as torque peaky as older TDs. One thing i love about them is that there is always power and torque on hand when you need it, requiring few revs and gear changes.

A, the Volvo, it sounds like a Volvo .... :lol: at the country CD! Very fitting! I don't love old Volvos, but the 'S's are usually nice cars. S60 and S80 is appealing.

Ah, thats a bit of a problem then. Was it a dealer trade in car? Perhaps they will need to get it back and get in touch with the old owner.

Any sign of an Avantime being added to your signature any time soon?
My Vel Satis used to puff out a good bit on kickdown, it was a great insult to the person you were overtaking! I think I've just got used to the Mégane being able to accelerate easily from 30MPH in 6th gear... even from 1,000 rpm there's plenty of power there. But I hear what you're saying, I'd much rather have a HDi than a Renault dCi.

Yes, the 607 came in from one of our traders. He took it as part exchange, believing it's mileage. Poor guy, we'll see what happens.

I doubt the Avantime will be happening for a while due to my ongoing headache over insurance. I'm due renewal at the end of this month and may well find something that could accomodate an Avantime. But looking at their prices, the majority are sitting around £5k on Autotrader, but nobody is buying them. eBay auctions for them barely make just over £2k... so I reckon the prices are about to take a huge tumble. I'm happy to pass the time with a few more Vel Satis' until then :D
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its unusual for a petrol, especially a relitively small one to pull from such low revs. Similar to the HDi in that it will happily pull from around or just over 1000rpm. Accelerating from 40mph in 6th is fine, obviously they are too highly geared to do 30 in 6th.

Ive not looked at used Avantimes for sale for ages, im surprised that they only reach £2K on ebay, thats a bargain! Certainly a future classic and one which is surely to appreciate. If you get one id be tempted to keep it as a hobby car and keep it for some years. They will only get more scarce and desirable.

I see quite a few Vels around here, but never an Avantime, I might see one or two a year! The last one i remember seeing was a bright blue one in Birmingham on the road, the next day i saw a dark blue one - but that one was inside the classic car show at the NEC. I got talking to the owner of it who couldn't rate it highly enough - it was a 2.0 manual. I took quite a few pics as it looked great in that colour. Why didnt they do a diesel, I could easily live with an Avantime! Though saying that, it would be a Dci :? :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Citroenmad wrote:Why didnt they do a diesel, I could easily live with an Avantime! Though saying that, it would be a Dci :? :lol:
Haha exactly! It was available with the 2.2 dCi in Europe. It's a real shame it wasn't sold here... for the simple reason that they would have sold more which would all have a failed turbo by now and values would be right down with the Vel Satis! It would be horrible having that engine in such a beautiful car though, it's bad enough in the Vel Satis!

If I got one, it would definitely be a keeper. I know of 2 in NI. One is a bright blue (it's called Illiade Blue) 3.0 V6 Privilege, I see it about once a month. The guy is ALWAYS smoking, with the windows UP!! I'll sit tight and snap it up cheap, along with a few buckets of Febreze :D

Shifted your C5 yet, Chris?
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yuck! I could never buy a car that has been smoked in! No matter what it was. Though if it has a leather interior, at least the smell might not have gotten into as much fabric.

No ive not yet Luke, ive got it on pistonheads but only on there. I need to advertise it elsewhere. Autotrader wont let me advertise with a pivate advert now, which is really annoying. So ive not been able to put it on there as yet. I usually have the most sucess with autotrader too.

Any advice on where else to advertise? :roll:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Citroenmad wrote:Any advice on where else to advertise? :roll:
Car and Classic is good.
Franklin
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Citroening wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Any advice on where else to advertise? :roll:
Car and Classic is good.
Yep! Or a Buy It Now with Best Offer on eBay?
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I might have to give ebay a try. I forgot about car and classic, thanks!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10