Citroen C5 brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As you have alluded to, it depends on the state of the disc - mine were OK, fortunately, again, you would need to replace both discs.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

It depends on how badly the disc overheated, if it was just 2000 miles of town driving with the caliper only rubbing a little then you probably dont need to, discs are designed to take a fair amount of heat and punishment, if the caliper was locked on hard then you probably should. If i was you i would just change the caliper and see what it feels like, try spinning the wheel with it off the ground and see if you can feel it rubbing unevenly
michael maurice

Post by michael maurice »

The first time it happened, I could smell the pads overheating.

There isn't any brake judder which would happen if the disc had warped
Jeff
My Cars:

Need to change disc?

Post by Jeff »

check this out

http://www.justpartsbiz.co.uk/acatalog/ ... discs.html

one cause for warping discs is after they get very hot (even from normal driving but that included a lot of braking), once the car is parked up and the hand brake is applied.....this causes the discs to cool down unevenly across whilst held under pressure between the pads, hence possible warping.

just because the discs became very hot from pads that were burning does not mean they need changing, discs are designed to get very hot. if you can turn the disc and there is no rubbing on the pads they sound okay though thickness of the disc should be checked as over time they will wear and need changing.

pads and discs today are not made with the same quality materials as years ago and seem to wear out quicker to me, though I stand to be corrected :lol:
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If the brakes feel OK, and there's no sign of surface cracking on the disc, it'll probably be fine.
There's some pretty comprehensive information here:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml
michael maurice

Post by michael maurice »

Thanks to everyone who helped, I replaced the Caliper nothing else was needed.
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

when asbestos was removed from brake pad the material they use since does wear the discs out quicker
ConradM
My Cars: Citroen c5
Ex Renault Savannah x 2
Peugeot 505 familiale
2cv x 2

Re: Citroen C5 brakes

Post by ConradM »

Bit late but may be useful....
I snuggled up the handbrake cable a bit too much, to what I thought would give me time before having to retighten the cable again. At 1-2 clicks on, I found the metal bracket holding the cable adjuster under the handbrake lever would interfere with the spring catch for the drink holder divider.
(I know, what an incredibly serious issue😉).
At 3 clicks the bracket clears and we're all good again.
Just love Citroen designers!