Need some advice -Update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wizzer59
My Cars:

Post by wizzer59 »

dieselnutjob wrote:just fill it up until it overflows and makes a mess :D

just don't drink it or stick it in your eye

repeat every couple of years.

Eventually the economy will start to drop off and it will start to regen too often at which point you can either put in a new DPF or disable it all.

Bolting in a new DPF is not a big deal, it's just a spanner job.

The complications and diagnostic computers only come into to it if the fluid ever runs out (allegedly).

Thanks for that dieselnutjob

Problem with that is I do a fair few miles and Im thinking it would be better to spend that money on getting rid of this lot and then maybe get the ecu remaped for economy and see how good these engines can be 8-)
wizzer59
My Cars:

Post by wizzer59 »

My understanding is that providing it meets or exceeds the pollution standards that were in place at the time it was registered it is legal. The C5 even without the FAP will more than meet the required standard, everything else being good. Ergo it's legal and by all accounts the MOT people have never made any observations on those that have been modified.

Without doubt in my mind the best way of resolving this is to get the Injection ECU code modified so that the system works without it, there are companies that will do this and there are contributors on this site who have done this and would likely assist should you want to go that route.

It is my belief that one reason the 2.2 is so heavy on fuel is that the injection system is configured to keep the exhaust temperatures as high as possible just so that the FAP system will work with the minimum number of re-generation cycles. The 2.2 was one of, if not the first car to use this system and as such it was a work in progress at the time the car was put on the market hence the later changes. If this theory is correct there is probably a lot of scope in ECU re-mapping that would substantially improve the fuel consumption characteristics once the FAP is removed.

cachaciero[/quote]

Thanks for clearing up the legal issue cachaciero and because I do plenty of miles I think what you suggest is probably what I would like to do if I can find someone with the knowhow :?

[/quote]
wizzer59
My Cars:

Re: Need some advice

Post by wizzer59 »

Well just a little update on this thread I started all that time ago. I have not had to replace the filter or top up the fluid yet so have not removed anything, The car has now done nearly 112,000 miles and is still running as sweet as the proverbial nut and I can only put this down to the fact that, A. I aways run the tank down to empty then fill to the top, B. most of my driving is long trips of 200 plus miles :) The last owner must have had everything done by the book or he removed it himself :lol: