Top Gear

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Xac wrote:They should do "James May and CitroJim's book of truth"
A weekly informative program on different car related issues :D

Obviously VBH should make regular guest appearances.
That would be interesting to watch!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well not the best topgear, granted, but it was entertaining.

I really liked the Skoda section though, I really like the Yeti anyway, it was good to see a more normal car put through its paces, even if in a strange way, it does rather demonstrate the cars strengths.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Wonder how much Porsche pay Hammond to eulogise over the 911 ??!!
All the derogatory comments he made about the Beetle in the feature apply better to the 9 what ever Porsche it was. At least the Beetle is honest. The 911 is just a triumph of engineering compensating for a poor design.

Oh how I wish they would just allow it to die and design something good.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

HDI wrote:Oh how I wish they would just allow it to die and design something good.
Isn't that the Carrera GT? Although a limited run car:

Isn't Hammond still 'under' after his hypnotism by Paul Mckenna?

Andrew
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Not exactly a replacement at £300 K !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Citroenmad wrote:Well not the best topgear, granted, but it was entertaining.

I really liked the Skoda section though, I really like the Yeti anyway, it was good to see a more normal car put through its paces, even if in a strange way, it does rather demonstrate the cars strengths.
Yes it was certainly entertaining. 8-)

Although when they did the comparison with a Wange (Chelsea Tractor) Wover Clarkson favoured the Yeti, while when they tested an X5 previously they showed up the Beemer regarding its poor off road capabilities especially poor traction, and grip off road, when a Range Rover climbed a wet muddy grass slope with ease.

They also said that because of the ability of the Range Rover, that's why they are used as camera cars on the programme.
ACTIVA

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

ACTIVE8 wrote:Although when they did the comparison with a Wange (Chelsea Tractor) Wover Clarkson favoured the Yeti
He also unnecessarily put the Range Rover suspension in high mode which just like our Citroen's gives additional ground clearance but makes the ride much firmer, typical Clarkson move the goalposts to make a point :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I suppose the Yeti would be a good choice if you're planning on setting up a mobile tattoo parlour...

Apart from that, the biggest impression the Yeti had on me was its sheer fugliness :twisted: I despair of ever seeing a pretty new car ever again.

There was criticism (veiled perhaps) that the 911 is now old and style-wise well past it. I beg to differ, it was far and away the prettiest looking car they had...

Everything else was just awful...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:There was criticism (veiled perhaps) that the 911 is now old and style-wise well past it. I beg to differ, it was far and away the prettiest looking car they had...

A couple of years ago my mate turned up at my house and parked his two year old £50k 997 911 in my drive then asked Dawn for her opinion :roll: bad move :lol: "Nah I don't like em, they look like squashed beetle" was her reply which pretty much described how my mate felt at that point!!! Several minutes later I managed to stop giggling :lol: :twisted: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:"Nah I don't like em, they look like squashed beetle" was her reply which pretty much described how my mate felt at that point!!! Several minutes later I managed to stop giggling :lol: :twisted: :lol:
I can just hear Dawn saying that Richard..

That's brilliant...

:lolsign:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

DickieG wrote:
ACTIVE8 wrote:Although when they did the comparison with a Wange (Chelsea Tractor) Wover Clarkson favoured the Yeti
He also unnecessarily put the Range Rover suspension in high mode which just like our Citroën's gives additional ground clearance but makes the ride much firmer, typical Clarkson move the goalposts to make a point :roll:
Yes, I agree the ground was not that bad, to require the Range Rover to be set on high, that setting would be for extremely bad deeply rutted surfaces etc, and then you would not leave it there for long like on a Citroen.

So he made a point, but should not have.
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:There was criticism (veiled perhaps) that the 911 is now old and style-wise well past it. I beg to differ, it was far and away the prettiest looking car they had...

A couple of years ago my mate turned up at my house and parked his two year old £50k 997 911 in my drive then asked Dawn for her opinion :roll: bad move :lol: "Nah I don't like em, they look like squashed beetle" was her reply which pretty much described how my mate felt at that point!!! Several minutes later I managed to stop giggling :lol: :twisted: :lol:
That's funny, and £50k to get a direct, and honest answer, might as well have bought a Yeti, and saved some money! :wink:
ACTIVA

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I like the Yeti, a great family car, robust, good engine, spacious, flexible interior and cheap to buy compared to hatchbacks.

Though the range rover test was far retched, obviously the RR will have a better ride in its normal height setting, they ride badly in high. The Discovery 3 is claimed to have a very soft ride, so that would have shown it up too.

Still, a £15-£20K car against, what, £70-£85K .. not really a fair test.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Y'know, I'm pretty sure his Clarcksonness didn't whack the Range Rooney in High mode to move any goal posts or make the Yeti look any better.. he did it to ensure the wanger in the back seat got what he deserved for being such a plonker in volunteering to do the obviously ridiculous stunt in the first place.......

Lighten up and enjoy it.... They openly admit it's nothing but a chance for them to act stupid in ludicrously over priced cars and/or get away with things they/ we just couldn't do in everyday life....

Best damn show on the telly..... Top gear, flipping the bird and blowing a rasberry at seriousness and it's ambassadors!
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

my thoughts exactly, top gear is the only thing on telly that isnt poisoned by low fat, equal rights, euroism......which is why i like it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............