I am so flabbergasted at no oil in the engine.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

Doesn't help that modern car service schedules are now longer than ever & quite a few have variable servicing, our mini was last serviced over 2yrs ago :shock: But according to the garage, thats fine, hmmmmm.

I do think that most people think that the mot is like a mini service on your car, get the tyres pumped up etc...quite hilarious really. Mind you, we had a clio that, ahem, missed a service, seemed fine whilst we had it, oops. This was before i had a clue about doing basic servicing on cars, i would never do that now i know how cheap & easy it is to change the oil & filter etc....
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I have a very cynical view about modern service intervals. My way of thinking is that by making them very long it makes the car financially attractive. If this leads to a reduced engine life it doesn't matter so long as it makes it past it's warranty and just long enough that it won't get the maker a reputation for cars that go pop. When I first started driving diesels (A Reg Astra van) the mini service was just 4500 miles (oil and filter) with a main service at 9000 miles. Now I know that lubrication has improved but I can't believe it's as good as car makers would have us believe. I notice one or two have had to revise timing belt intervals because of failures.

Personally I'll stick with twice yearly oil and filter changes using quality oil of the correct spec.

Steve.
not applicable
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

Modern oil in cars is like water, that's probably how they can extend the service intervals, i think mine is 00 30w, apart from the colour, it pours unlike any oil that i use on my other older cars.
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

its not only the lack of oil in the sump that bothers me its the amount of time the car has been running absent of enough oil to prevent damage.
the unusual belt clicking sound could very well be the tappets complainning that they are dry and it may already be to late to save the engine just by adding some oil, the damage is probably already done.

I dont know what milage that one could expect from a 1.8 petrol xantia these days they used to say 150,000 miles for a petrol, engine this particular one has gone past that mark by 15 thousand miles.

with the last 2,000 miles probably done with hardly any oil in her sump I fear that the engine will probably not last very much longer and wouldnt mind betting it fails the emissions test this year to. I bet the oil rings are absolutely worn down flush with the pistons allowing the thin oil left to pass them by and be burnt off in the cylinders coking up the two upper piston rings restricting their free movement.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

I'd expect bottom end trouble but I've not run an engine to ruin so it's only a guess.

Modern car oils are like much thinner and have very closely specified properties, this improves engine efficiency through less drag but is more prone to leaking past worn seals, etc.

I used to like Duckhams in my old cars or if not that then Castrol GTX. This was back in my Cortina days...

Steve.
not applicable
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The fact of life is that some people are completely without interest in cars !
An analogy would be how interested is the average person in their fridge or central heating system ?! I know I'm only concerned that they work as they should, and very upset when they don't !
That's the attitude of the vast majority of people towards their cars, as long as they continue to work they are happy and oblivious to the effects of their neglect.
Some even have a deliberate policy of not doing ANY maintenance or servicing, just hoping the car struggles along for 2-3 years until they chop it in for a new one.
Some years ago I knew this bloke, he was a customer running his own company, he bought only Audi's. Once over lunch I tried to start a conversation about cars as I'm a petrol head and can't restrain myself, he responded by saying that he had no interest in cars, only bought Audi's because he thought they were the cars with the best chance of going 2 years without any attention whatsoever until he PX'd it for a new one !!!
You know what, he got away with that 3 times until the next one blew the motor on the M6 one dark and rainy night !
The difference between these types and us is that they are mechanically ignorant which allows them complete detachment from the car and it's plight, to them it's an appliance.
They may also be right, as long as they continue to have the funds to allow them to buy new cars every 2 or 3 years !!
Last edited by HDI on 13 Jan 2011, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

I bet these are the type of people who get into their car and dont treat it as an extention of their body, they are completely detatched from the vechicle, if I stop in a que of traffic and a pedestrian brushes against the back of my xantia as he/she crosses the road I can feel it. a lot of people dont.

this is also the ability to tell a really good drive from a bag of bolts.

I think it should be common knowledge that oil/filter changes improove miles per gallon as well as a lasting engine.

perhaps with petrol/diesel prices now hitting 1.30 a litre this tiny piece of knowledge would change a few minds or attitudes to basic servicing?

I wonder how many car owinning save the planet types never change their oil actually reversing just about everything good they have ever done for the planet?
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

My view is that if it can let you down, it will at the worst possible time.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. That said I've only needed towing home twice in all the years I've been driving (22 years), one was a collapsed hydrogas unit on a Metro and the other was a broken gear linkage on the black XM TCT. I've had the odd cut out and blocked fuel filter but always got where I was going.

Steve.
not applicable
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The most salutary failure "lesson" I've had, was when the 405's alternator expired on a main highway, on a Sunday (fortunately sunny weather).

Someone who at the time I thought a friend, said words to the effect of "I thought it was you, but I was too busy to stop"... Well - they were en route to the same destination; a car show!

That's where honesty and diligence ultimately leads - nowhere that anyone respects you!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I agree, a lot of people do see a car as an appliance, these people seem totally oblivious to car maintenence and the state of their car.

Its all well and good having money to but a brand new car every 2 to 3 years, and expect the car to last that long without the owner even opening the bonnet once. Some cars might last that long, but someone is going to get that car after them, they are going to experience the neglect of the first owner.

Obviously this doesn't bother the first owner, by now they are onto their next shiny car, but checking a car regularly is often about safety, and this is my gripe with people who couldn't care less about their car. If they drive on bald or under inflated tyres and cause an accident, perhaps kill someone, will they think its their fault (as it would be) or would it be just one of those things?

I like the fact the driving test now makes learners learn a little about their car, what checks you should do etc. Questions are asked during the test about maintenance. However knowing what to say and show on the instructors car does not mean they will check their own car or know what to check.

Someone at work was driving around with bald tyres for months, I mean bald with no tread at all and the cords showing, the tyres were also very soft. Eventually with me going on at him he got a pair of tyres for it, the cheapest possible of course. I asked him when he last checked the oil level, never he said, not in the 2 years ive owned it. Its a petrol car and has done 120K, so it probably uses oil. I changed two brake light bulbs on it as only the centre one worked. A month ago he said he had smashed into a curb and bent the front wheel, of course it was still fitted to the car, the steel rim was half the width it should be in the damaged area, though the tyre was still inflated, it was badly nipped making the tyre very badly out of shape. It was in that state for days, until I eventually changed the wheel for him. Happier thinking its safer to be on the road again, if it had caused an accident and i knew i could have done something about it id not have felt too pleased. Not for me to have to check other peoples cars, but some people dont care.

The rest of the tyres looked very soft so i took it to a local petrol station and pumped them up, the front tyre was down to 22, and the rears were 15 and 12psi!

Totally unacceptable and dangerous, despite me telling him this it made no difference, he didnt appreciate how this would effect the cars stability and handling, not to mention a risk of a blow out with its aged rear tyres which are down to the wear marks, no doubt they will be on for a good 20K yet!

I would put good money on a bet that people with a little bit of mechanically ability (even regular checks of the important things, fliud levels and tyres, it should not be beyond anyone with a driving licence) and have slight mechanical sympathy are involved in less accidents.

Im a stickler for car care and maintenance, I hate seeing cars neglected.

Our cars get very regular checks and maintenance, ive never had one break down. Mind they are Citroens!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I'd have just tipped off the police, a number of penalty points & a maaaaasive fine would have sorted out the neglect & the frankly appaling blase attitude of that driver, pathetic :x
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

SwissSPEC wrote:I'd have just tipped off the police, a number of penalty points & a maaaaasive fine would have sorted out the neglect & the frankly appaling blase attitude of that driver, pathetic :x
I told him its 3 points and a fine per tyre, 6 points mean a retest for people who have been driving for less than two years.

I did consider it, plus with the stop lights out he was asking for being stopped anyway. Some people are very lucky!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
falling-out-with-my-car

6 points each for each bald tyre these days, thats an instant 1 year ban is it not for any driver with two bald tyres, except a newbie who has to take his test again. the points when up for bald tyres last year to six per tyre.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

3 points and £2500 fine according to the AA and the RAC. :dunno:
Of course to us lot, the risk of the loss of life is a much greater potential penalty.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Anybody that reckless should be off the road. I doubt his insurance company would be pleased. After several warnings I'd have tipped off the police, it could be a member of your family he kills or any other innocent person come to that.

Steve.
not applicable