Dismantle and clean height correctors?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Stepto1 wrote:... Would love a guide posting. Not even sure where the height correcters are to be honest!
This would be a good link to start with, including lots of pics ---> How To - Height Correctors

Also this warning is very important and has to be taken seriously.
myglaren wrote:As always, prior to starting any work that involves getting underneath a Xantia, or any Citroën with hydraulic suspension, make absolutely certain that the car is firmly supported on axle stands or ramps. This is particularly important when working on the suspension system hydraulics, the car can drop very suddenly with fatal results.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

I bought a load of bits to redo the height correctors from brian primmer at a recent rally included rubber caps and links.
Still have not used them though!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote:unfortunatly seperate parts are no longer available for the height correctors
Hopefully, as the rubber bits are common right across the range, right from (I believe) the earliest DS, if Citroen have declared the rubber bits NFP than I'm sure they'll soon be available again from some enterprising soul as most rubbery bits for the DS are.

Having said that, if the HC is not leaking and it's dismantled/reassembled with due care, the seals can be reused quite happily.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Folks,

This link may help with removing and cleaning the damper disks.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=13442
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

G4EIY wrote:Hi Folks,

This link may help with removing and cleaning the damper disks.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=13442
Excellent stuff Brian :D Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

It's part of my standard routine after buying a hydraulic citroen. Usually it goes like this - engine oil & filter, fuel & air filter, replace spheres, drain lhm tank, wash out and clean filters, refill with hydroflush, drain 1 litre from each brake caliper and keep topping up lhm tank as you go. After somewhere around a thousand miles or so drain tank clean it and filters, depending on state of original lhm maybe refill again with hydroflush. On a part by part basis remove, strip, ultrasonically clean the regulator, height correctors, hydractive blocks. Usually I tweak the regulator whilst I'm at it. Eventually replace hydroflush with lhm after another tank and filter clean.

The amount of gunk that gets trapped in the valve work is surprising, even on cars with very clean lhm. I guess that's why in industry they back flush with hot fluid where possible. I'm still convinced that the sinkers stay supple with less maintenance than the anti sinkers. I also think there is very little movement of fluid after the the height correctors, sure it goes back and forth but how often does it get replaced with 'fresh' fluid unless you gave a excessive leak back problem and even then is it enough to flush gunk back to the filters in the tank?

This HC cme out of the XM SED that I have, the LHM in the tank was bright green -

All just my opinion you understand.
not applicable