comfort spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Alan
Thanks, I'm convinced, I'll do it myself. Never been very impressed with main dealers (for any brand not just Cit), have to say that the parts man is excellent though. The only thing I really wanted out of paying someone else was for a second opinion on the measurements, mine were a bit rudimentary. I do think the ride is suffering as a result because If I push and pull at either end the car feels really fluid (no pun intended) but doesn't appear to have much in the way of travel say when compared to my BX.
Mark_sp
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

bought a set of ramps today, wasn't sure they'd do the job so before buying took one to the car and raised the car onto its intermediate height. Bought the ramps although they were borderline, 185 tyres look like the side-walls will hang over the edge. Returning to the car I noticed how high it looked for the intermediate setting. Started the engine and put the car into high, no change. Although the lever moved freely to the high position. So as well as the automatic height adjustment being low in normal height it looks like the manual height adjustment is wrong as well. Thing is Haynes manual says 'take it to dealers' or words to that effect. I do have an old haynes manual for 1986 bx, don't suppose theres any chance that the procedures and measurements are the same ?
Mark_sp
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Mark,
I may be talking through what I'm sitting on [:0] but I can't see it being a big deal and I would expect it to be worked on the same principle as a BX.
Anders & I and a couple of others had a long winded debate on this point recently but I don't remember if it was this forum or not.
Just check out thet the front to back adjustments, those attached to a forward & aft steel rod are adjusted about central in the slot that it has in it; it's bloody hard to describe without pics, but basically there's a slot and a rod, bent at approx right angles sits in it. On a BX is should be 5mm from one end & 7mm from the other which is why I say set about halfway. This is done by adjusting clamps on this bar which is about 3/8" diameter. Once that is set, <b>then</b> reset your height correctors. It's not impossible to set the adjustments using the ramps although it is a bit of trial & error. Whatever you do though, don't touch anything on that suspension adjustment without having that car airborne.
The difference that setting this adjustment had on my sons TZi you would have had to experience to appreciate.
Alan S
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Alan
Thanks. I've not had a look under the car yet but what you describe sounds like the BX setup that I have instructions for. Your point about setting manual height before automatic height is the opposite to what I expected. I'll go with it though.
Mark_sp
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

If I remember right, the BX intermediate hight was exactly that, with the top height being higher again. On the Xantia, the intermediate height is very high, with the handbook telling ou to drive very slowly, while the highest setting is no different except that there is no suspension movement - totally locked out.
Jamie