205 STDT Engine Swap

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

205-STDT-XUD9
My Cars:

205 STDT Engine Swap

Post by 205-STDT-XUD9 »

I've been cruising the forums for a month or so now, contemplating replacing the 1.8td engine in my 205 with a 19td engine. I had thought long and hard about it, and eventually decided that what with having next to no money and very little mechanical experience, it probably wasn't worth it for the 17bhp increase..

With the decision made it was time to sort my current engine, the cambelt needed doing and i'd decided that an intercooler and a tweaked bosch pump would keep me happy for now, so about a week later I started to change the cambelt on my existing engine. I'd never done a cambelt before, but it seemed straight forward enough just a little fiddly, so I got stuck in. Prior to this the car had been leaking oil for quite some time, and I noticed that after tightening my aux belt the leak had increased quite dramatically, so whilst doing the cambelt I also opted for replacing the crankshaft oil seal. I'd read it's best to pry it out with a screw driver, or use a drill to put two pilot holes either side and then pull it out with screws. I opted for the latter, but unfortunately my drilling accuracy was a bit off! Alas, I'd drilled a nasty gouge out of the mating surface for the seal.

At first I was considering using some metal epoxy to fill it in, but thought that inevitably i'd be left with a perpetual oil leak, that, given enough time would be more expensive that putting a new engine in.. or so I told myself. Also I figured i'd learn a hell of a lot, plus, a friend was selling a 1.9 engine from a 405 for £50! Oh, and i'd have a faster car. So I looked up the part numbers and it turned out the cambelt kit, oil seal and water pump that i'd just bought for my 1.8 would go straight onto the new engine, so off I went to collect it.

I managed to get it into the car with the help of a strong friend and lots of swearing, the other end was a bit more difficult but I managed to borrow an engine hoist and got it into the garage to prepare for the changeover. So once again I started to do the cambelt, this time on the new engine and in the comfort of my garage. All was well and i'd even plucked up the courage to replace the crankshaft oil seal, (this time without the drill) next I removed the engine mount, only to find a corner of the head gasket broken off and poking out the side of the engine. I wasn't too worried as it had a fair bit of oily muck on it and looked as though it had probably been this way for a few thousand miles, I did however decide that now would definitely be the time to replace it and so removed the head to retrieve the gasket.

That is about as far as i've got so far, next step is to clean the surfaces and fit the new gasket. I've measured the piston protrusion and according to my feeler gauge it is 0.70mm all around which I believe to be as standard? I'm hoping to get a Haynes for it in the next couple of days to confirm this, I also want to get the shim measurements and the correct torques for re-assembly.

I've learnt so much so far from reading the forums and thought this thread and the information contained in it may be of use to someone in the future.

Please feel free to comment, advise and enlighten

Pictures to follow

Dan
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Would like to see some pictures. Note my signature ;)

Oil seal is best removed with either a tool or screwing a few self-tapping screws into it.

Headgaskets, its best to simply get the thickest one in most cases, (ie: the one with the most 'notches')

As you know the 205TD does not have an intercooler, probably worth about 10bhp. I'm not 100% sure if it will fit (the "top" one) without an automatic bonnet, I suspect it would.

Problem is it will not do a lot of good there, remember the cars with it on top have channels in the bonnet to direct air towards it. You might want to consider a front mounted one maybe ?

I heard there's a problem getting the exhaust fitted on a 1.9 although I cannot see why, you might have to use your 1.8 inlet / exhaust manifolds though, you may have to find a early 405 1.8TD unit to get the inlet manifold for the intercooler to fit.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Dan

You sound as though are on a steep learning curve, we have all been there. In intercooled form there is not much difference in the power output of the engines, they are both rated a 90 bhp I believe but the 1.9 has better low down torque. You would get a better improvement by fitting yours with an intercooler, if you can, but as spider says fitting one may be a problem. I don't think the top mounted one is viable unless you fit an air intake to your bonnet. You need a front mounted one from a 405 or Xantia perhaps, if there is room to fit it.

Peter
205-STDT-XUD9
My Cars:

Post by 205-STDT-XUD9 »

evening chaps,

definitely going to go for an intercooler, I've found a Xantia td with an inlet manifold at my local scrap yard, which i'm going to go and buy. I've done some research and it will fit straight on and will allow for a front mount inter cooler.

Also on the to do list are the front breaks, going to go for the 309 1.9 gti calipers on the front but will leave the discs and hubs as current. I'm going to lower the car very slightly, just to try and eliminate some of the body roll, but not enough to ruin the handling. Thinking about -25mm to -30mm but am open to suggestions. Also considering changing the current air box but don't know what for, the current setup seems a little elongated and bulky, anyone care to suggest ways to improve? Thinking I might just use an air box off of a much newer turbo diesel with a similar size engine.
spider

Post by spider »

Air intake is probably best to just see what you can make.

If you are using bits from other models, avoid doing what the 306TD's have with the air filter actually mounted at bumper level. Keep it reasonably high up.

Driving through flood = drink = hydraulic lock = :( = expense ;)
Andy.

205-STDT-XUD9
My Cars:

Post by 205-STDT-XUD9 »

So another year and another post, hope to tip the 1:1 ratio later this week with a bit more of a write up but for now here are a few pictures:

Here's the head gasket poking out the side of the engine as previously described

Head before

Head after

Out with old... watch this space

The can definitely said red!

New calipers, pretty rusty looking

after a bit of tlc

Gear box back on

Hoping to get the engine back together this week ready to put it back in the car next weekend, just waiting for a new aluminium cutting head to arrive so I can finish port matching the head.

I got an inlet manifold off of a Citroen Xsara waiting to go on, I also got the turbo off of this car because it was a lot newer than mine and only £30. It's a Garret GT15 which isn't much bigger than the current KKK, if at all. However after spending absolute ages getting the inlet manifold off of the car in the pouring rain at my local scrap yard I thought I'd treat myself.

Fitted a new clutch as the current one was about 0.5mm from the rivets, got a front mount intercooler from a 4x4 Sierra Cosworth, some 309 gti struts and springs which should lower the car adequately, Group N strut rubber mounts, and a few other small bits that I can't remember right now. I also changed the lower steering column and my steering feels amazing! That was long overdue.

Hope to have more progress to report later this week.

Dan
spider

Post by spider »

Looking good so far :) , keep us updated.

Bear in mind the cooler is vertical (around the oil filter) on these and some 309's due to no space for it to be mounted normally, the turbo rad is thicker than the NA one on the 205 / 309 = less space.
Andy.