help please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Naffa thanks mate
any chance you can confirm for me that the oil leaking into the water is likely to be the oil cooler and where is the oil cooler im assuming its the piece where the oil filter screws to only i dont fancy stripping parts i dont need to
Allso once off the car how do i test this and is there any place you would recomend to get a replacement i dont mind having to spend a little as like i said i love this car and whant to make sure she carries on for as long as possible.
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
naffa
My Cars:

Post by naffa »

Synergietom wrote:Naffa thanks mate
any chance you can confirm for me that the oil leaking into the water is likely to be the oil cooler and where is the oil cooler im assuming its the piece where the oil filter screws to only i dont fancy stripping parts i dont need to
Allso once off the car how do i test this and is there any place you would recomend to get a replacement i dont mind having to spend a little as like i said i love this car and whant to make sure she carries on for as long as possible.
Sorry Tom my experience with Citroens and A1 clutches doesn't extend that far. However I think that an oil cooler will look something like a mini radiator ( probably shinier) with smaller diameter pipes going to it. By virtue of it being a cooler then its likely to be located near the very front of the car.

HTH Nath
Cheers Nath.
1998 Synergie petrol.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

The oil coolers on these are Water cooled, are almost round in shape and are fitted between the block and oil filter, they are easily removed if my memory serves me correctly by removing the oil filter, undoing the lage bolt that holds the clloer on and screwing the filter straight back onto the block, you will also need to loop the coolant pipes together.

Testing is easy, remove the coolant pipes and loop them together then refill with oil and run the car, if oil comes out of the water jacket of the cooler its goosed.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
naffa
My Cars:

Post by naffa »

Deanxm wrote:The oil coolers on these are Water cooled, are almost round in shape and are fitted between the block and oil filter, they are easily removed if my memory serves me correctly by removing the oil filter, undoing the lage bolt that holds the clloer on and screwing the filter straight back onto the block, you will also need to loop the coolant pipes together.

Testing is easy, remove the coolant pipes and loop them together then refill with oil and run the car, if oil comes out of the water jacket of the cooler its goosed.

D
Not really much help am I?
Sorry.
Cheers Nath.
1998 Synergie petrol.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

on any other car you would be right but PSA have their own way of doing things :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

naffa so far youve been a great help and i apreciate it
D Thanks for confirming that for me ill be having a go at that tommorow if the snow stops as there is no way the other half is going to let me do it in this weather she is pregnant and hormonall and its just not worth arguing.
naffa
My Cars:

Post by naffa »

I dont need a pregnant and hormonal other half to stop me working on the car in this weather mate. :D
Cheers Nath.
1998 Synergie petrol.
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

What can i say im enthusiastic and more so crazy ( thats what 4 kids and a grand child can do )
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

well with th weather getting so bad ive still not had chance to look under the bonnet due to frozen water pipes in the kitchen and christmas shopping at least it meens i get to keep her for a bit longer.
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

well i finally managed to strip her down and there is oil everywhere it shouldnt be ( in the coolant system) and none where it should ( sump) ive allso noticed a complete lack of water in the system now ive removed the oil cooler and ran it under the tap hoping to see water pouring through the oil channel but nothing came out at all so im assuming that ill need a little more presure or that there is nothing wrong with it. any sugestions ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have just fitted a new oil cooler to a Y reg ALFA twin spark for a customer,

one heck of a job to flush all the oil out of the cooling system, got there in the end,

what a mess as it had more oil in the coolant than in the sump,

regards malcolm
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

oh yes and now ive got oil all over my drive still i supose it needs a clean anyway.
Any ideas how much an oil cooler will cost
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

well after the car sitting on my drive for a couple of weeks now with no oil cooler or radiator i had a quick look thismorning with fresh eyes and have decided to completely strip the head and fit a new head gasket and timing belt as im short of any amount of time this is going to take a while but ill keep you all informed as things progress.