Good driving roads

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote:In fact even getting there is good. The M6 through the Lake District is jaw droppingly beautiful...
This is not helping Toby, but....

The M6 is a mere peppercorn down payment :lol: . Many of the main routes in the Highlands are spectacular - A82 from Crainlarich to Fort William (avoid the bit up Loch Lomond, that's just tedious and the road through Callendar to Crainlarich is much better!); the Road to the Isles from FW to Mallaig; almost anything around Ullapool; the A9 (it has a bit of a dangerous reputation, but that's probably due to everyone watching the scenery!). To name but a few. May is the time to come - weather usually not bad (for Scotland!) and the midges have not really got into their stride.

Hope you have a good day Toby!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Toby,

That's a good route :D I know all of those roads. Hopefully there'll not be another soul about and you can enjoy them to the full :P

Going up Caen Hill toward Devizes on the A361, stop off at Caen Hill Locks and admire the engineering that went into the flight of 29 locks on the Kennet and Avon canal. It's quite something. You'll see how steep Caen Hill is and then imagine a canal going up and over it! On the other side of Caen Hill you can see some substantial earthworks that did the same for the now long-disused railway as the locks do for the canal.

Richard, Scotland. Yes, I must. I have an idea now for a nice holiday in 2011. You have sold it to me 8-)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

RichardW wrote:
CitroJim wrote:In fact even getting there is good. The M6 through the Lake District is jaw droppingly beautiful...
This is not helping Toby, but....

The M6 is a mere peppercorn down payment :lol: . Many of the main routes in the Highlands are spectacular - A82 from Crainlarich to Fort William (avoid the bit up Loch Lomond, that's just tedious and the road through Callendar to Crainlarich is much better!); the Road to the Isles from FW to Mallaig; almost anything around Ullapool; the A9 (it has a bit of a dangerous reputation, but that's probably due to everyone watching the scenery!). To name but a few. May is the time to come - weather usually not bad (for Scotland!) and the midges have not really got into their stride.

Hope you have a good day Toby!
Seriously, an FCF roadtrip somewhere would be great. We could hook up with our southern friends in Glasgow or wherever, head up the A82 to Fort William then on to Applecross, have a BBQ then a few pints at the inn :beer:

Me going up the pass of the cattle 3 years ago (in October...a bit damp and cold):

View across to the Isle of Skye from the Applecross Inn:

I'm sort of going off topic, but if there's suitable interest, we should start another thread! FCF Roadtrip 2011 8-)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

evilally wrote: I'm sort of going off topic, but if there's suitable interest, we should start another thread! FCF Roadtrip 2011 8-)
Good idea Ally :D I'm keen on it and just the reason I need to come to Scotland at long last!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
evilally wrote: I'm sort of going off topic, but if there's suitable interest, we should start another thread! FCF Roadtrip 2011 8-)
Good idea Ally :D I'm keen on it and just the reason I need to come to Scotland at long last!!!
+1
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

We'll lay on a petrol tanker as part of the convoy for those of us in V6s and Activas :lol: :lol:
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I'll hold you to that
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thats a great idea.

Also, providing I can get the Activa sorted for 2012 (including insured etc.) There is the Citroen Classic Challenge around France which should be good.

Updated the route to include a blast up the M5, needs to be done :wink:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 469177&z=9
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ill be up for that, certainly. :D
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

cant remember what it was called but i loved the road that ran along st Mary's loch in the borders, me and the Mrs went on our first holiday there, been back three times and am hoping to go nxt year on our honeymoon, with the Activa :twisted: 8-)

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Scotland is within easy reach for me, and there are some great roads in places.

I think we should get a thread going? :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm off, in just under thirty minutes. The route for curious bods: Sydney - Temora - Ganmain - Wodonga - Wagga - Ganmain - Sydney.

Say 1600km; one day, one driver, one passenger.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Varied the route slightly due to some incredible deluges, but got my 990 miles in. Aquaplaning with a trailer is outside even my ideas of "fun". Returned 0430H Boxing Day (a day, as I observed to my somewhat pious neighbour, that we celebrate the birth of the baby box).

Disappointingly no snakes spotted - dead or alive. Plenty of roadkill; mostly wallabies and wombats. Cleared some weeds, fed the mozzies generously, watched a wood duck in my dam, picked pears from the tree - petite old school fruit that reminds one how the trend to "supersizing" has even affected fruit and veg.

Brought my ID19 back seat up to Sydney for a scrub - the vinyl is basically undamaged but filthy, and it will come up a treat.

This abandoned community hall is about 25 miles from my place. I'm fishing for how to approach the locals to buy and relocate it... Would be a ripper, with excellent historical cred.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Whilst not as impressive as addo's, I completed mine yesterday. 240miles in the end, which kept me out the house from 10 until 4.

Was pheasant suicide day it seems, I was following a Land Rover who hit a pheasant with some force. Then 45 mins later one ran out in front of me and as much as I hate hitting anything, I won't swerve so just hit it. Thankfully, no damage to the Coupé's notoriously fragile bumper. The entire journey was strewn with dead pheasants and coming out of Salisbury on the A338, about 7 were all over the road as if they'd been bowled through. They really are stupid! :lol:

There was a bit more traffic around than I thought and it wasn't until I hit Somerset it really thinned out and I started to enjoy myself a bit more.

The A356 was fantastic, there is excellent scenery and then just outside Beaminster an array of transmitters which I find interesting for some reason. Climbing out of Crewkerne on the A30 was brilliant as just at that point, my music and the scenery was perfectly matched. There is something special about a snow covered landscape and Brian Eno's An Ending (Ascent) combined together. Quick blast up the M5 which the Coupé seemed to appreciate - it was also fairly empty :wink: The Mendips were stunning and Cheddar Gorge was brilliant. Climbing up the Gorge was fun. Coming back down was not!...

I'd chosen a minor road to get back to the A371 and on turning into it could see it was not a good choice. It was covered in ice and thick snow, and obviously went fairly steeply back downhill. Back end all over the place and was very bottom clenching. ABS was useless as it would stop the wheels locking, but wouldn't slow the car down which I needed to do as it was downhill and a narrow road. I found I could cadence brake more effectively than the ABS on this occasion and get the speed down. I really wish there was a legitimate (in insurance terms) switch for the ABS.

Salisbury Plain is good for a drive although yesterday visibility was useless with freezing fog. Good job I've got some decent screen wash.

All in all a great drive, not quite as spirited as it would have been due to the conditions and the unfamiliarity with the roads (from a speed camera point of view) but all the roads were pretty good for driving. Some were particularly suited to an Activa and next year I think I will do the same route with mine. I also used less fuel than I thought I would. Just a smidgen over half a tank. I've done 240miles and the range readout suggests I still have another 240 left. Not bad for a V6! I certainly wasn't trying for economy... Also, still the Coupé manages to look good when its now absolutely filthy.

Definitely one for the summer though - maybe an FCF Cheddar Gorge meet sometime? :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Was wondering how the drive went Toby. I went out for a potter around the countryside in the afternoon. Rather picturesque and theres something quite tranquil about watching the world go by, standing on a hedge covered in a thick layer of snow.

Another FCF meet down here would be most welcome, I've not been to Chedder Gorge either.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair