AL4 Ageing...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

frenchcarnut wrote:
CitroJim wrote:and bring the gearbox to me.
Where are you based? How much for an AL4 oil change?
near Milton Keynes and nothing if you supply the oil. Time and weather is the critical thing. I can only work outdoors and time is always short. I have a garage but it's crammed full of spares and tools...

I will only consider rebuilding a 4HP20 as I know them a little. No way will I attempt an AL4 unless I've had the opportunity to practice on a scrap one first and even then I'd be wary. Rumour has it the 4HP20 is a pussycat compared to the AL4.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

spider wrote:Perhaps the definition of 'life' = 'warranty life'
Close most car manufacturers are reputed to work on the basis of warranty period plus one year to get it out of the franchised dealer chain at minimum cost. If they could design it to fall into an instant heap of rubble during year five they would.

As I understand it when choosing a component the car designers main considerations are cost and weight which are for more important than extended performance or extended life BUT the component has to last the warranty period or it impacts on cost.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've been struck by the odd bit of breathtakingly "good" (highly subjective term) engineering on PSA cars, where a number of articles have reached their design life in either unison or rapid succession.

Coming from an engineering POV, one side of me admires it, while the inner traditionalist cringes with further anticipation of failures...