Xantia gears gone mad

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

i3 wrote:would it be possible to get a horseshoe clip from the dealer?
any idea on the part number for it?
Sure would :lol:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT
0000699743 HOG RING 0.95 GBP 1.14 GBP 1.14 GBP

You might have to buy a bag of 10 or something stupid though :roll:
Richard W
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

Thank you very much Richard, just ordered one, should be available to collect from dealer on thurs :)
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ok..so..moved the car forwards,,and found the horseshoe clip :roll:

this one is even harder to refit then the other, as this one has the air pipe directly on top of where the clip fits..so almost no hand room at all.... any tips?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

The bracket is only fixed on the back of the box by 3 nuts - it might be easier to drop the bracket off, fit the cables, then put the bracket back on. When we did the clutch on my mate's C5 recently there was not a hope of getting the clips off (different design) but taking the bracket off was dead easy (if you've got long arms!) :lol: Or can you not just take the air pipe off?
Richard W
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

anyy ideas how to take the air pipe off?
and will have a look at taking the bracket off,,see if i can locate the nuts that keep it on...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased you found the clip Isa :D

I'm trying to visualise which pipe you mean, is it a turbo pipe?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

no Jim, its the pipe that the airbox connects to, but i have got the clips on now...thanks Richard,,,took those three nuts off and removed the bracket and it was easy...

nearly completed now, just one more thing...the front pipe bolts...ive forgotten which way around they go...i know exactly which way they fit in..the bolt goes in the engine side just cant remember where the spring goes,,,,am thinking it goes underneath the little metal plate and nut on the the side closer to the cat/back of the car....?
or does it go somewhere else...i know it definitely doesn't go on the engine bay side,, so am thinking it either goes on the other side? or in between the frontpipe, and manifold pipe?

at the moment have got one bolt in the way i think it goes, spring out the other side closer to the cat...it looks right, but cant remember....

please hell
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Spring - cup - washer (if fitted) - nut. Tighten the nut up till it bottoms out on the shoulder on the bolt to pre-load the spring and hence the joint.

You have of course checked the gears feel like they are working now before you spend 3 hours arsing about with the exhaust.... :lol:
Richard W
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

RichardW wrote:You have of course checked the gears feel like they are working now before you spend 3 hours arsing about with the exhaust.... :lol:
:lol: I must admit I was thinking the same thing meself..even if just on the driveway,no zorst on..BAAARM BAARM, like a blown dragster or summat :lol:

Jesting aside, I'm sure every diy'er has done jobs on cars, thought..cool, that's that sorted, then spent HOURS putting everything back together nicely,tourqued,greased etc..
..only to find the aforementioned deeply buried job, requiring half the dismantling of the car, wasn't tested and sorted :lol:

I know I have :roll: :lol:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ok...can confirm that the car is now driving once again :D
i did find this quite hard to do,,but it is done, and now that it is, i can tell you all something funny, which shows just how much of a novice i am: when i was first trying to remove the first downpipe to manifold bolt, i was under the car, trying and trying so hard to turn it, soaked it with plusgas few times tried and tried, whilst holding the other side of the bolt with another spanner, then after probably about an hour of trying over and over, i was laying under the car, and i thought,, wait a minute, am i turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?? it took me a few moments to figure out which was which because of my position, then i realised, i had been turning it the wrong way all this time!!! i was turning in the tightening direction! :oops:

anyhow, that all out the way, have put it all back together securely, driven for about 300miles since. it seems to be working okay thankfully :)

thank you all for your help!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The 'Which way does it turn?' thing catches out even experienced mechanics from time to time - it's not so much inexperience as the fact that the brain finds it hard to cope with the relative positions of hands, eyes and fasteners!
I sometimes find that I have to set a ratchet whilst looking at it from a normal perspective, then compare the direction of rotation with whatever I'm using on the fastener.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I did the same on Sunday, fitting a TV antenna to the mast.
I was somewhat contorted and managed to spin the wing nut the wrong way and of course it spun off and landed in the garden 30' down.
Working alone, of course. Back down the ladder with the huge clumsy antenna, root around in the bushes for the wing nut, back up the ladder and another attempt, with a bit more success this time.
All in the rain,with a back to front brain, naturally :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well done Isa, pleased it has now all come good for you!

Despite many years of playing with cars I still have to stop and think of which way something unscrews, especially when contorted into a strange shape under a Xantia.

I take a large nut and bolt with me and if in any doubt, I orientate the nut and bolt the same way as the one I want to undo and then see which way I have to turn the nut to undo it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...