At what temperature.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

frenchcarnut

At what temperature.....

Post by frenchcarnut »

....will modern diesel (50% veggie oil added) start to freeze?

-11 °C this morning when I had to get up at 5.30 to start de-icing the car. I thought something would've clogg up by now, but it started like a dream with the new Varta battery.

Used to hear loads of stories of lorries breaking down sue to frozen fuel not so long ago.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Can't say how WVO affects diesel, but normal diesel will start to cloud at around freezing point and will start to cause problems at -9.5 C.
Fuel companies have winterised diesel for this time of year though, so it should never be a problem in the UK. It doesn't get properly cold here, try -40 and below and you know it's cold !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

UK Winter diesel spec is cloud point -10°C filter plug point -15°C. It would take some time at that sort of ambient temperature for all the diesel in the tank to be down to close to that temperature - particularly if the car has been run in the previous 24 hours. My HDi started OK this morning, with the in-car temp showing -14°C - although it coughed a bit at first - suspect it's down a glow plug or two. Took a looooong time to warm up though as I was driving gently (and I think the stat is knackered!)
Richard W
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I had been wondering about the diesel in cold weather too. Though hopefully we wont see it cold enough to cause problems.

Mine stared very well this morning, its new battery is doing the job.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

In my youth I remember seeing lorry drivers lighting fires under the engine in these sort of temperatures to get them started, even my early Perkins engines were very difficult to get going, I used to put a gallon of petrol in the tank, that improved it a lot - don't try it with a common rail engine though.

Peter
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

A good idea if you are a veggie/bio user is to leave a sample of what's in your tank in a jam jar outside. If you see the stuff in the jam jar go cloudy, then the stuff in the tank will still be ok, but not far behind. The XUD is a tough old bird though, it will run on veggie approaching the consistency of porridge. Also 5% petrol will make a big difference.

A benefit of fitting a flat plate heat exchanger to the fuel line is that it ensures any globs solid veggie get turned back to liquid, and hot oil is returned to the tank keeping it nice and clean.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is there not any kind of snake (for want of a better word) you can feed into the tank via the filler neck, that warms your fuel overnight?

In cabinetry there are reasonably thin heated rubber blankets made to spec for some glueing and bending operations where even warmth is required. I wonder if something similar can't be adapted to the situation...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I removed the 'back of block and I like to take air in' fuel heater on mine.

And made this:

Note, cable ties are only there for the 'look' they do not form any part of holding it together ;)

That's the coolant return pipe so always warm.

Looks untidy but does work reasonably well, the derv does not really appear to get more than lukewarm, I think due to poor heat transfer.

Still better than nothing which was the alternative. :D

I don't run veg, just pointing out a quick DIY thing really, although I made that in a hurry and it could be improved.

Here is an 'in progress' pic:

For reference, the large 'coolant' pipe is standard central heater / mains water piping and the 'fuel' pipe is the microbore central heating pipe, simply shined them up, lay some solder on top and gently warmed them on the gas hob (when no one was looking) :oops:

EDIT... Fixed Huge pic.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Some cracking ideas, thoughts and solutions here.

Meanwhile, back in Brum, it was a balmy -2°C. I only needed 3 layers instead of the recent 5, and I felt like getting out the ice cream.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Just remembered, I recall reading in the handbook that Citroen actually recommend adding a small percentage of petrol to the diesel in very low temps !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

frenchcarnut wrote:Some cracking ideas, thoughts and solutions here.

Meanwhile, back in Brum, it was a balmy -2°C. I only needed 3 layers instead of the recent 5, and I felt like getting out the ice cream.
Funny you should say that...i stopped off for a Magnum last night on the way home at the petrol station :lol: Heater is on in the van so its still ice cream weather :P
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Just been out and started SWMBO Picasso. It's currently -10 and has been down to -15 last night, and the Pic hasn't been out since Sunday. Once I'd got over the problem of not being able to open the doors (got the boot open so put the fan heater in it and managed to get in it eventually) I was able to start it - just! It took a fair bit of cranking with periodic coughing before it would run. OK once started. So it would seem that some time at this sort of temp is enough to prevent starting. A night at -20 and it will be game over I think!
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just a bit of a nip in the air!

It was -38°C in Poland last Thursday - 50 people have died from hypothermia :(

A balmy -4° here.
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

Slightly off topic this i realise but i went out in my car today & was rather miffed to 'hear' my (sony) CD player acting up (thoughts of buying a new stereo or even removing a faulty one didn't fill me with joy!) i ejected the CD to find it covered in a light frost :shock: , i cleaned the frost off & tried again but it soon started skipping & then packed up altogether, i resulted in listening to the radio in order to warm up the head unit which then cured the fault.

In all my years of motoring i've never seen a CD get covered in a light covering of frost whilst still inside the stereo, i wouldn't mind but the car was still in use at 7pm+ the previous evening & has never suffered with any sort of dampness/excessive condensation, i guess I'll just have to turn the stereo up to get more heat into it :lol:
Music keeps me going.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Not diesel of course, but my Activa has started PERFECTLY in minus 10, only a slight slowing of the starter but it fires the moment the engine turns, pretty impressive, and shows good compression and overall health.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;