The most reliable and unreliable Peugeots?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: The most reliable and unreliable Peugeots?

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't care for most of the modern Peugeots but the 404 we had was brilliant and I think even now the 406 takes a lot of beating, and yes, the 504 and 505 were very comfortable cars.

Peter
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

I've just bought a Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
I know there is a reputation of 307's being unreliable but compared to the Vauxhall Corsa I had it would have to explode to be a worse car.
Corsa faults in the last 7 months:
Timing chain tensioner (9 hour job done in the snow!!),
Steering rack (plastic rack bushes worn),
Rust hole in front subframe 15mm x 40mm,
Plus several other faults.
All on a car less than 9 years old with less than 70,000 miles!!!

Also fitted an adjustable steering column as the fixed one put the steering wheel so high that it was uncomfortable to drive.
And talking about uncomfortable, the suspension. Or lack of it!!. I know I had a Xantia before but the Corsa is terrible. It was nice to get into the 307 and drive a car that absorbed the bumps instead of crashing through them.
And the electric power steering was both lifeless, tiring to use and went very light under acceleration.
The French have a word to describe a Corsa. Merde!!
So although some Peugeots may have their faults, remember the dross that the competition came out with.
Really happy to have a French car again, even if it was probably not one of their finest. :-D
Last edited by Bannedbiker on 26 Sep 2013, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My 406 Hdi has been brilliant, it had 188k on it when I bought it and now has 216k and its never gone wrong, I have obviously had to de routine maintenance like brakes and so forth but I haven't touched the engine. This is the 'simple' Hdi of course with no DPF, the newer ones do seem a bit more troublesome. It doesn't ride like the XM but its not bad.

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

@BannedBiker, I'll confess I had one of these two about 10 years ago and it was not old then. I had the same problem it was the second only car that I could not be comfortable in due to the steering wheel angle, but these kind of problems don't manifest themselves on a test drive, only a week or two after purchase.

It was impossible to have a sensible seating position for me where both pedals and wheel were correct, iether one or the other not both. So I compromised with it, ie sitting a bit too close to the pedals so the wheel was OK, this meant having to pick my foot right up to operate the clutch etc.

I traded it in six months later at a massive loss. :(

Timing chain rattled as well but I just ignored it having seen the procedure to sort it (!) , it was the 3 cyl version too, I suspect the 4cyl one was slightly better ie less vibration. I thought about it breaking then noticed the availability and ease of fitment (tiny 3cyl unit) for a used replacement so it was cheaper to just replace it if it broke instead of trying to repair it. It never did.

The only other thing was (and I'm not a speed merchant) I only drove it slowly on the test drive but after purchasing I realised I was driving it flat out (!) I had it checked but apparently mine was a good one.

It was reasonably economical though but not mega brilliant estimate about 50mpg. The 205TD was both more economical and a lot more powerful.

Oh the electric power steering started to go funny too, first 'corner' of the day it would lose its assistance it almost felt like something on the column was binding but the 'cure' (I did not bother, informed when traded in) was a new motor/column assembly plus open wallet surgery to pay for it.

I did buy an Astra two or three years ago but that had the 'no wheel or pedal' concern too despite being fully adjustable with both. My tiny short legs did not help in this matter. Shame as it just did not suit me.

Never again. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

I think most of the XU/XUD era vehicles qualify for reliability. They are all pretty good.

I especially like the 305 tho, I think it's got the perfect balance of inside space, outside dimensions, weight, economy, drivability, etc etc for a small car.

205s are decent but they are smaller. 305s are significantly larger (at least inside) and more comfortable I think while maintaining the same amazing economy. The older pre-XUD stuff was heavier and less economical, like the RWD models.

My 305 had been to Africa (apparently anyways) and done over 1/4 million miles. It still runs great and when it got restored it had minimal rust. Compare it to something like another 1980s European car, and there is no contest. The 305 did not need any floor/chassis work at all, and only tiny repairs to wheel arches etc. There are alfas of the same age that need complete new floor pans!
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:
A late 405 with ES9J4 transplant would give the old V6 Vectra a run for its money - or possibly a hiding. Having said that, for a novice like Ash to drive a nearly stock Mi16 would be an educational experience! Raw power, raw fun.
A hiding, without a doubt. My boss back in the late 90s had a Calibra V6 with the same engine. I got to drive it up to MK a few times from Denham, and it was possibly the most disappointing car I've driven to this day.
Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Post by Welshy_Pete »

The old days for me would be the older peugeot diesel xud 205 305 306 309 405 models. Also citroen bx, ax and zx diesel these where well built and reliable also to.

But now I'm in to the 306 diesel hdi 90bhp and citroen xsara hdi 90bhp more refined, comfy and better mpg also modern but easy to fix and reliable.

I wont bother with the new models to many electrics, sensors and you cant tutch or fix half the stuff now.
micky707
My Cars:

Post by micky707 »

After owning 2 306 1.4 Meridians Í can say they are rubbish, both developed the same idling problems, i never got to the bottom and got rid of them, but after researching, the problems lie with the sagem ignition system. The coil rail spikes the ecu, so the answer is to replace the coil rail with a Bougicord one and reset the ecu by sending it off for repair. ECU doctor are very good but not cheap, but much cheaper than a new one. So i would say the 306 as very unreliable which is a shame as it looks and drives great when its good.
Micky

Citroen C5 2.0 HDI VTR 138 48k
Citroen Xsara 1.6SX Brilliant car, 9 years and 119000 Miles
2 Pug 306's
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport
Citroen ZX 1.9D

If it aint broke.......
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Both were KFX no doubt ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

micky707 wrote:After owning 2 306 1.4 Meridians Í can say they are rubbish, both developed the same idling problems, i never got to the bottom and got rid of them, but after researching, the problems lie with the sagem ignition system. The coil rail spikes the ecu, so the answer is to replace the coil rail with a Bougicord one and reset the ecu by sending it off for repair. ECU doctor are very good but not cheap, but much cheaper than a new one. So i would say the 306 as very unreliable which is a shame as it looks and drives great when its good.
That`s a bit harsh to brand ALL 306`s as unreliable due to one isolated problem,I experienced about three or four with this fault in all the years I was in business.
It was Sagem`s fault,their coil packs spiking the ECU,but of course Peugeot got it in the kneck and took full responsibility.If I remember Peugeot were handing out Bougicord coil packs free of charge to anyone with a Sagem coil pack regardless if they had a fault or not.It was a case of,if you saw a Sagem coil pack replace it.
micky707
My Cars:

Post by micky707 »

Yes your right that was a little harsh, just bad luck im afraid and hours of trying to get to the problem replacing sensors etc, I do think that they are a very nice looking car and drive well when running right, and by the way Peugeot Charters in Reading were absolutly no help in trying to help get to the source of the problem even though they fixed the first one i had after i sold it, it took about a month with one of the service managers to tell me what was on the job sheet and she never got back to me at all, just luck i got someone else who bought it up on the computer in about 30 secs and gave me the run down!
Micky

Citroen C5 2.0 HDI VTR 138 48k
Citroen Xsara 1.6SX Brilliant car, 9 years and 119000 Miles
2 Pug 306's
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport
Citroen ZX 1.9D

If it aint broke.......
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Charters of Reading have lost the Peugeot Franchise.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

surlt there isnt only 25k on it for only 300 pound