Dentists

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Reminds me I've not been to a dentist in years now. 20 at least.

No probelms though. maybe as I've always used an electric troothbrush. That seems to be the secret, for me at least.

They really do need a bit of a clean though. All that tea drinking takes its toll...

DIY fillings :shock:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I didn't go to the dentist for 26 years on the basis I didn't have toothache, then one morning whilst eating a lovely crunchy piece of French bread the large molar on my upper left gum disappeared (I'd swallowed it :shock: ) thankfully I didn't feel it emerging at a later date :lol:

Lesson learned I now go every six months :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

So it didn't bite you on the backside? :lol:
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

addo wrote:So it didn't bite you on the backside? :lol:
Thankfully not!!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Richard, after your experience, I reckon I'd better book an appointment for a checkup. Like you did, I base my dental health on an absence of any toothache but your experience shows this not be be reliable...

Just got to find a dentist now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:Richard, after your experience, I reckon I'd better book an appointment for a checkup. Like you did, I base my dental health on an absence of any toothache but your experience shows this not be be reliable...
You certainly wouldn't want me to go into the detail of removing the remainder of the tooth after the root had fused to the jaw bone, not a pleasant experience :evil:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

CitroJim wrote: Just got to find a dentist now...
Have a word with Addo, sounds like he knows a bloke that could take a peek. :lol:
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Not one in Wolverton ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:
Not one in Wolverton ;)
Well, yes, I must confess I'm tempted to avoid that one :lol:

I shall undertake a search of ones in Newport first before venturing further afield...

I fear they may all be private though... Olney apparently is good for dentists...
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Apart from the dubious wallet surgury, i have to say the dentist and hygienist were good, and they print your appointment details on an easy to keep card as well as phoning you the day before.
It's a shame.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I didn't go to the dentist for 12 years because I was too tight to pay the fees. The longer I left it the more scared I was of the potential bill but when I did go all I needed was two fillings. My dentist seems to be competent and honest and as an added bonus she's called PJ Duncan, which always amuses me more than it should.

On the subject of DIY healthcare I had a sebaceous cyst on the top of my head for years and I seriously considered removing it myself. I was going to set up a camera so I could see what I was doing on the PC. It was only the thought of the conversation that would ensue at the doctor's surgery when it all went wrong that put me off.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Speaking from bitter experience, the drawback with DIY/inattendance is getting back onto the lists once you've been off for years.

I've been recently trying to get sorted with a medico and the number of private clinics who aren't taking new clients is amazing. Not keen on the national health service (Medicare, as it's called here) because I doubt there would be adequate continuity in patient oversight.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It's the same problem here, you risk being deregistered if your dentist doesn't see you for 15 months.

I spoke to a dentist (actually the dentist's husband, who was acting as the practice manager) about the shortage a few years ago.

Apparently as our society became more affluent there was an improvement in dental health. The powers that be expected the trends to continue and reduced the provision for training dentists. The trends didn't continue, largely due to the efforts of the confectionery industry, and we were left with a shortage of dentists.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

If you're having a filling done it's worth asking if it can be done without an injection; it's often not necessary and avoids the horrible numbing business which lasts for hours afterwards.

I started using a Philips Sonicare a few years ago --- they really are excellent at keeping plaque away.
David

BX19TRS 120K E Reg 1992-2013
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg