What is the highest mileage Xantia on the forum I wonder ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I don't know about indefinitely but regular upkeep should work for anything,
not just TD XUD's.

I've scrapped x5-6 XUD's which were mostly showing around 120k
- two with serious head gasket issues, the others had failed diesel pumps,
blown turbos and duff gear syncros. It's crazy, all the recent cars I've
scrapped have had superb rust and damage free bodywork but crocked
mechanicals - not how it used to be with GS and Cx.

BTW, I'm not a hard driver, they were mostly inherited and/or bought in
to be harvested for spares. The late s1 VSX died though because of
MickeyMouse Homebrew diesel that pretty much seized the diesel pump
ruining a superb car. :(

One of the remaining ones I'd like to keep is a '98 TD 1.9 auto Exclusive
that has a significantly goosed crank at 110k miles with believed full service
history. I don't think they'll last forever to silly high mileages although the
x2 daily drivers I have had for years are at 160k and 234k which do get
regular servicing in my keep.

Andrew
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Well, there you go then - different people, different experiences, although I wouldn't expect a failed head gasked to put an end to the engine, except perhaps on economic grounds, its a common problem but about the only thing that I have had go wrong, usually at about 150k, once fixed they should go on for at least another 150k. The only pump I ever had fail was on a BX, Lucas pump, front bearing went due to water in the fuel. The only other problem I have had was a failed crankshaft pully at about 250K! That was easily rectified. Never had a turbo fail.

Peter
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The big plus with diesels is lower operating revs than petrol. Generally I don't exceed 3000 RPM unless I need to really go for a gap :twisted:

Motorway cruise is always less than 3K, mostly around 2750.

This makes a big difference to engine life expectancy, means lower bearing surface speeds, lower piston speeds, less demand on the oil, etc, etc.
Turbo's should last much longer than petrol as the EGT is much lower, and especially if the driver exercises good turbo shut down practice. I always let the engine idle for at least 30 seconds before shutting off.

HDI's should theoretically last longer as they shouldn't pollute their oil due to much better fuel management than mech pumps.

Maintenance and care in use are the key to long engine life, many people these days take car reliability for granted, so they never check engine oil level, scream the car away from cold, shut down as soon as they stop etc, etc. The first owner will probably get away with such treatment but the results will become apparent as the mileage accumulates.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

This thread became very interesting and as expected highly dominated with TD and HDi figures :lol:
Where are all the Petrols? Only a couple of V6 Xantias so far :wink:

... 200k plus miles at the moment with
- one Engine (and headgasket), one gearbox, one clutch, one Hydraulic pump, one fuel pump, edit: one heater matrix ....
- two drivers (I'm the second one), edit: two catalytic converters
- three wheel bearings, edit: three ABS sensors
and the list goes on ... Image

Picture Quiz :)
This is my next milestone approaching (in kilometers) 8-)
Last edited by VertVega on 28 Nov 2010, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If my Roman Numerals are Ok, that's 350 so, 350K(ilometeres) then..

That's impressive, especially the list of what it's consumed in that time :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

350K kilometers? 217.5k miles

I've got some petrols that are high milers but do agree the daily commute
sloggers will tend to be the TD's - economics count with the mpg although
the extra costs of the TD engine with it's upkeep as it runs at higher stresses
aren't always considered. Petrols are less likely to require new HG's, rebuilt
pumps and injectors or constant fuel filter and oil changes.

Andrew
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Yes, 2 correct answers! :D
I forgot these: one heater matrix and three ABS sensors....
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

My 1992 1.9 TGD BX has 85k on it, bought it with 27k. It was like brand new and has been my daily runner for 7 years.

It gets a yearly service with it's Mot, It had a clutch fitted just before I bought it 'little ole lady, previous keeper' mr clutch did it! the sump was bent some bolts were missing and the hydraulic pump supply pipe broke soon after.. I took this to a local agent and it was all fixed for free.

Its had two cam belts, the last change included a water pump the spheres have had valves fitted and only charged once. The exhaust hanger at the rear had to be welded on at 45k. rear arm bearings were done at 60k or so, done at first signs.

This MOT it got new discs pads and a nsf ball joint and two new Michelins for the front

I had a CX GTI TURBO 2 with 170k when when I sold it, this was run on Amsol oils, a CX GTI turbo 1 I sold with 150k on it these were dealer serviced. Another Turbo 2 had a new engine supplied by Citroen as it snapped its camshaft at 62k.

Then theres my CGAT, 123k 4 engines '3 piston failures' 4 clutches '1st changed because it was out, 2 AP racing, one tore in pieces after the 8 injectors fitted, the latest is a hand made affair from Helix and is lighter on the pedal than std! two gearboxes 1 first motion shaft failure, the one in now is the hybrid T1 gti turbo and T2 diesel. A few driveshafts, bottom arms bent!

We had a nice AX 1.5 with 140k on it when I sold it, just before we sold it it got a head gasket because it was leaking oil, still ran fine. There was one of these at the local dealership still getting serviced with 330k on it :)

My brother had a 1.9 td xantia he paid 150 for and got 18 months out of it that 200k on it, he only bought that because his 1990 1.9 petrol bx hydrauliced on the motor way paid £85 for that one and got 5 years out of it! from there he went to a Xsara HDI but not for long, nice enough just not him. That had the crank pulley changed on it at 85k.

My brother in law has a 1999 1.9 td xantia, he's had that for 8 years, it did the clutch pedal thing early on. when he got it the injector with the sensor went on it that and the service was 400 quid. The brakes were done at a main agent just before he got it and it didn't sound quite right. When I had a look the corrosion that builds between the arm and caliper hadn't been removed, it looked like the caliper had been hammered back on, rubbing the the discs! Now wiith 130k its 'touch wood ' fine

The wife has a 1.6 HDI picasso, at 12k it had a new turbo and clutch! at 55k now it's still on its first discs and pads and second set of tyres :)
Last edited by CGATCX25GTITURBO on 28 Nov 2010, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well my 1.9 NA BX had the LUCAS pump fitted and it still didnt have the usual leaky throtle lever spindle seals,

regards malcolm
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

My xantia must be low mileage as its just turned 109k but my previous cars where better my xud 405 had 300k and ran great ( i should never have sold it ! ) and i had an 406 hdi ex private hire with 230k mile which you would never know !! sorry for the non xantias but they are french ! :)
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Not really worth another thread but this is what my 200,500 Mile Xantia looks like today.
Xantia in Snow Blanket
Yesterday I dug it out, gave the glow plugs two switchings on, and it fired up first time. Added about 400yards to the mileage before deciding that normal road tyres just aren't up to winters like this, turned back and slithered back into the parking slot again.

Read this post Winter tyres for the Xantia but came to the conclusion that its probably better adopting the "don't travel unless absolutely necessary approach" than forking out for a proper set of winter tyres. It's a good advert for Land Rovers round here at the moment, as they tend to be the commonest vehicles still mobile. Would a Xantia with winter tyres be just as good?

Neil
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

every one should get a dersh (2CV) as they love the snow

regards malcolm
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

citronut wrote:every one should get a dersh (2CV) as they love the snow

regards malcolm
Until they brush up against a kerb and tip over!? :)
French is best.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

:lol:

That's a bit harsh - it's not that easy tipping a Dersh - most (if not all) of the
weight is the chassis and the rest of the bodywork isn't exactly 5* NCAP rated!

Totally agree with Malcolm!! :D

I've run a 2CV in the snow and nothing would match it. Barely any weight,
bicycle thick BIIIIIG diameter wheels and FWD. A better go anywhere car
than all these Chelsea Tractors trying to be posh limos or Japcrap wannabee's.

Andrew
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote:
citronut wrote:every one should get a dersh (2CV) as they love the snow

regards malcolm
Until they brush up against a kerb and tip over!? :)
So, you have not been in a 2cv then!

Despite the video ive seen on youtube of one falling over at walking speed ... they are incredibly hard to tip over and roll. Grip is excellent and they corner well.

My dad ran one after the other years ago, he used to even do a bit of autotesting in one! Ive seen the pictures, the body roll is unreal but they dont let go and dont go over either.

Much like the Renault 4s, which is the most fun car ive ever driven and i miss ours. Just like the 2Cv, there is tenacious grip but they wont roll over, You can be quite silly with them and nothing happens apart from your grin gets bigger! They are very slow, but the body lean and interesting brakes make them so much fun and they feel so much quicker than they are. Getting into a mundane modern car after one feels odd, and boring.

I took 3 mates out in the R4 down some winding country lanes, after they got over the initial bodyroll and realised it wasnt going to fall over despite cornering on the door handles, they thought it was as much fun as i did. The the rear mudflaps were quite wedge sahped after that!

I used to do classic car runs with it, following our traction which does take a bit of keeping up with for an old car, some of the roads were quite demanding but the R4 was excellent, i never felt it would come unstuck.

One run i had 5 people in it, going around a roundabout flat out, passing a lotus on the outside, who obviously wasnt trying but he was laughing.

ARBs spoil the fun of cars :lol: Well not really, but the 2Cvs and R4s are definitely worth a drive at some point, im not into fast cars, so maybe they appeal to me more, but they are fantastic fun to drive. The earlier the 2cv or R4 the better!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10