Poor fuel efficiency - diesel Xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The memories come flooding back :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:The memories come flooding back :D
Ahh yes :D Going sea fishing with dad late at night with a Tilley lamp for both light and warmth, not forgetting the gentle homely hiss that it made.

Where we lived as a kid in the rural Somerset sticks, a Primus stove was essential as our electricity supply was not that reliable...

Our first touring caravan had gas lamps. They had the same lovely light and warmth as a Tilley along with the hiss but were rather less trouble. You just needed to be sure you had some spare mantles as a particularly vigorous tow could break them...

I've still got a couple of paraffin blowlamps in my workshop, not fired them up for years now. I found a packet of prickers for them the other day. A pricker is a tool for clearing the vapouriser jet when it got blocked, a frequent occurrence if the paraffin was not spotlessly clean.

Dave, sorry to drift so off-topic in your thread. It happens a lot on this forum :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ahhh, I did my first diesel conversion in 1959, a Perkins 4/99 engine into a Vauxhall Cresta, I can still remember that 'sweet' exhaust smell when starting from cold. Practically everyone had paraffin heaters in those days, they used to do terrible things to the inside of TV's. I still have a blowlamp and a primus stove in the garage.

Peter
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Never done a diesel conversion myself (yet! The MGB still beckons.) but in the late sixties, while we were still at school, a friend of mine inserted a Perkins diesel into a Mk IX Jaguar.

He got it up and running and actually took it out on the road. The problem was that there was no vacuum for the brake servo and you had to grab hold of the roof to get enough pressure on the brake pedal to have any effect. He experimented with a flap on the inlet tract to get some vacuum (a la Land Rover) but it wasn't enough and he project, sadly, mouldered away in his drive.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The cars used with my early conversions didn't have servo brakes :shock: so it wasn't a problem, when the need arose though I devised a butterfly valve arrangement in the inlet manifold connected to the throttle cable, worked a treat, when the Sherpa van came out I found that British Leyland had nicked my idea :x

Peter
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Like I said, my friend borrowed the idea from Land Rover so it predates the Sherpa by a good while.

IIRC the Jag had Dunlop disc brakes all round, which is why it was so poor without a servo.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​