Valeo Alternator Insides

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

That’s not too bad yet, mine made it to over 100,000 km with more crackles and didn’t break.
From what I’ve read, if it’s crackled all over every inch, then it’s due for renewal.
I used to watch the edges for fraying more than crackling of the ribbing.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Although I don't doubt that sort of mileage is possible from a ribbed belt I wouldn't advise leaving it to the point of risk. If it were to break it could become entangled in the cam belt with obvious consequences :shock:
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Touch vinyl, it's still unbroken.

Getting back to the core issue of electrics:

If the starter was shorting - would the current drain not cease upon release of the key?

Because this is the "weird" part - once it's done the naughtiness, it stays flat (for want of any better word). I can take the key out and there's barely enough current to light the interior lights, and not enough to lock the doors.

I've been hatching another theory.

As I usually have the aircon running, when the car starts it instinctively (via Bitron controller) tries to put the fans on low speed. I know my fans are not well, as the relay contacts have been melting again recently. What if there were a serious short through a stalled cooling fan, or a dodgy relay or Bitron? Enough that while it didn't blow the fuse, it took away the solenoid's ability to pull in, and the dash/CPH functionality.

I'm almost keen for it to happen again, so I can test this theory! (Of course, if it's wrong then I'm still up the creek without a paddle...)

Part II of my questions now, relate to alternator isolation.

If I ran a dedicated cable with 150A capability direct from the alternator output to the battery terminal and lopped off the original at the starter (or vice-versa) am I compromising any aspect of current flow? To a layman's mind I can't see how, but not an expert...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Did you do any voltage checks yet ?
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Last things first, as long as the alternator is connected to the battery, where it goes on the way is irrelevent, although the shorter the path the better.

If the battery goes flat or appears to when you try to start it, there are three possibilities, 1. the battery is flat, 2. the battery is faulty, 3. you have a faulty connection on the battery or from the battery to everything else which goes high resistance when you apply a load to it.

When the battery appears flat connect a voltmeter across it, make sure you connect it to the actual battery posts not the lugs, if it still shows 12 volts or more, turn on the ignition or lights or anything really to put a load on it and check the voltage, if it has now dropped well below 12v its either flat or faulty, if its still reading around 12v you have a bad connection somewhere.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, when either restive (with the subject condition extant) or with the key turned to "D" it still registered 12.7V - as a side note the store battery tester showed 12.8 so my kit isn't too inaccurate!

I've kicked a few cars around and this is one of the more difficult problems I've chased.

From memory (can't find the screenshot to verify) end of last year I was showing a charge voltage in the mid-low thirteens, whereas now it's over 14. Haven't changed any electrical components inbetweentimes.

Snagging a Valeo reg/brush holder and possibly diode packs seems like a good possible "hedge" against it being a generation/rectifier problem. Does anyone know what is in the rebuild kit PSA sell - just the reg?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That would seem to confirm that your battery is OK then so you need to check further down the line, sounds as though you have a fault on the main supply somewhere. First check the voltage on the battery terminal connectors as a poor connection between them and the battery is quite common. Check between earth and batt + see if you have 12v+ when under load, if so the fault must be in the + supply. Check for 12v on your cigar lighter, if its not there run a lead from batt+ to the live connection and see if it 'wakes everything up'.

Battery voltage with engine running should be just over 14v so that sounds OK.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Just noting no recurrences to date; I have adopted a routine of turning the A/C switch off whenever parking up, and not putting it back on until the car is started.

Given the recent weather I often start the car by reaching in, then reach across to put on the A/C - then stand outside for a minute or two while it gets up to height and cools the cabin somewhat.

Over the next week, I'll drop this (A/C off to start) habit again, and see if the problem returns.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

End diagnosis an odd one: poor crimping into the positive terminal.

Terminal became hot under "no start" conditions, whereas wires and battery post didn't. An almighty squeeze or two with the mouldygrips on the terminal crimp area seems to have ameliorated the condition.

Really, though, crimping five wires into one hole on the connector is a bit daft of PSA.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

There you are then, it was easy really :D
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

:D well done, problem traced. Maybe you'll need to remake or resolder the wires properly?

At least you didn't have the cables catch fire/burn out on top of the battery :D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I suggested battery cables in the 4th post on this thread 8-)
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote:I suggested battery cables in the 4th post on this thread 8-)
It's getting quite a frequent problem now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Indeed, Xantia's are getting on a bit now ! Battery cables and terminations get a hard life, battery end terminations are exposed to the damp and salty breeze from under the bonnet edge, combined with high starting current and hot and cold cycles corrosion is inevitable.

I use purpose made battery terminal grease on all my vehicles now and it seems to reduce problems in that area. It also changes colour to yellow if acid is present for any reason, which is a clear early alert to impending problems.
Preventative maintenance is the key.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Not many damp salty breezes here, unless locust plagues are corrosive. :lol:

Going to investigate my options for an aftermarket style distribution block, with only a short single cable from the battery to a small bus bar. A new Citroën cable is 65 Euro plus postage.