The Citroën Love Affair............

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Driving an A Class on a daily basis I know why I like hydro Citroens!

As soon as they rise up you know why they're special.

Steve.
not applicable
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

steelcityuk wrote:Driving an A Class on a daily basis I know why I like hydro Citroëns!

Steve.
After today ive another great reason why Hydraulic Citroens are the only thing to drive!

While i was driving the Seat today, i hit a slight pothole, a huge bang followed and the car dropped on one side with a scrubbing noise. The top of the spring has snapped off, meaning the spring is no longer sitting on the strut top spring seat, the spring has gone past that and is now supported by the top of the wheel arch. Great!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Quite a common problem now I'm told.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Far too common on modern tin spiral suspension.
My eldest son's Golf broke two in short order, on on a flat road :shock:
Other sons 306 broke one, daughter's SAAB brike one, her 106 broke one.Guy at work, his Vectra (only 2 years old) broke both front springs as he drove away on night, car just crashed to it's knees.
Followed a Mondeo yesterday that had a suspicious list to the right.
Girl lives next door to my wife has had six on her Ka(k)!

Only one I've had was on an R14. Wondered why the steering was so reluctant to turn right, until it's first MOT :oops:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

It is very common, some cars more so than others. We had a Fiat Stilo for a very short time (don't ask!), which had to go in for a recall to have cups fitted to catch the spirings 'when' they go :lol:

Springs on Ford Kaks are a common failure, even rear ones. Vws do seem very prone to them, ive seen a few Passats sat on their knees.

I saw a guy a few months back trying to jack up his BMW 3 series on the road side. The front tyre was flat, but the car was sat on the floor, being supported by the sill and front bumper, with the mudflaps tucked tight under the car. Obviously the spring had snapped and went through the tyre, i dont think he had much luck jacking it, never mind change the wheel. I can't imagine what would happen if your doing motorways speeds and one goes in that fashion.

It was a bit odd, as i drove off in the Seat this morning and came to the speed bumps along the top of our road, i thought to myself to go slow as the car had been standing, incase a spring goes. Then, later today one did. Unbelievable.

Springs are a poor and basic idea. When is everyone going to catch on, you need to be running on fluid, not bits of bent metal! :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Citroenmad wrote: Springs are a poor and basic idea. When is everyone going to catch on, you need to be running on fluid, not bits of bent metal! :lol:
The French governement should insist that Citroen make ONLY hydraulically suspended vehicles.
All the rest can stick to their bits of tin if they like, until they see the light :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: The French governement should insist that Citroën make ONLY hydraulically suspended vehicles.
All the rest can stick to their bits of tin if they like, until they see the light :)
hear! hear! :clap: :clap:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

Ahhem. Xantia strut tops anyone :wink:
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

we'd prefer not to swear on this forum.

think of the good times, if you have a citroen diesel the pleasure of driving right past fuel stations with a smile on your face.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

A Classes are notorious for breaking their springs or the cast alloy cups they sit in. However it has to be the most practical car I've ever owned, even when the SED is back on the road I think I'll keep it.

The thoughts of springs going into tyres at high speeds makes me shudder, another step backwards from the old days of large shaped steel cups that prevented this. Maybe it will take a few court cases to change things back?

Steve.
not applicable
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Something that is happening to me from reading here and the BXClub forum, and seeing that some of you have half a dozen cars, is that I'm pining slightly and feeling guilty about a BX I got rid of.

I've had this Xantia for 7 years, and one BX for 9 years before it, and another BX before that. Nearly 200k miles in the 2nd BX; close to 400k between the 3 of them.

I've no idea what the real mileage was on that second one; the bloke who sold it to me had presumably clocked it back to the 50,000 shown, and the engine in it then was a turbo with a non-turbo head, as discovered when it blew the head gasket in Germany (with the outside air temp minus 14!).

Later I had it written off bought it back and fixed for just over £100, so even though it had had a new engine and associated stuff, it didn't owe me any money at all.

It had lost its 5th gear for the last year or more (I got a spare gearbox but didn't fit it), there was an oil leak slowly affecting the driveway, the turbo seemed to be losing its effect towards the end, seemingly all going downhill together, but it still spent 2 years on the drive with me occasionally wondering about getting it going again and on biodiesel or straight veg oil, before I bit the bullet and had a scrappie come and fetch it while I was away from home.