Xantia ABS rings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

There's a place in Carnoustie does rings, might be worth speaking to them.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-B-S-RINGS-SC ... 4340.l2563
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia ABS rings

Post by RichardW »

Finally got round to fitting a new ring today. I bought one from UKparts direct: MK2 ABS Ring Note Mk1s use a smaller ring, but they seem less prone to failure.

The job is not too bad: slack off the hub nut, jack and support, split the bottom ball joint, separate the shaft from the hub, remove the old ring, clean up the shaft (mine was well cruddy, I had to scrape, chip, file and sandpaper till I got it clean), heat the ring (I just put it on the gas hob, adjusted so the flames impinged on the ring) for about 10 minutes, turning it half way through to make sure it was evenly cooked), then slipped it onto the shaft - it went on loosely, but soon tightened up when it cooled down. Re-assemble!

Edit: I did the NS with the shaft still in the car and managed to avoid pulling it out. Worth putting a bucket under the diff though just in case! If I was to do it again on that side, I would get some new gear oil, and use the opportunity to change the oil - it would be much easier to work on the shaft on the bench!

I still seem to be getting some kick back from the ABS - the old ring appears to be partly worn away, and I suspect it has worn the end off the sensor opening up the gap, so I may have to replace that too #-o
Last edited by RichardW on 17 Nov 2011, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Richard :-D You must have cooked yours a bit hotter than I did as mine needed gentle taps from a hammer and punch to get it fully home.

Mine was well shiny in pats but I believe this comes about from it falling of to the side and into the hub and rubbing there, not on the sensor.

My ABS is good now and interestingly a Lexia session today showed no faults on the ABS, stored or otherwise so once the light goes out any faults are automatically cleared it seems...

Maybe a Lexia session whilst driving will pin down the problem...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No spurious action from the ABS since the first day so it seems to have fixed it now =D> Till the other side lets go :cry:

Was looking at the old ring the other day, and it was not in bad condition really - I rather suspect it is the joint that is made of crap, and this rusts and puts pressure on the ring till it lets go.
Richard W