C5 Rear Calipers and Disks CHECK YOURS!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, this is a well known C5 problem, brake calliper twisting. With some alloy wheel designs and especially C5s with steel wheels (15") the calliper will start to make contact with the inside of the wheels!

Often new callipers are fitted due to this problem, as the corrosion can sometimes ruin the calliper, the bolts snap too. So most garages just fit new callipers an dbolts. Also the material behind the pad retaining screw is quite thing, this can corrode and leave the screw with nothing to old it in place. So this is often a reason why they are repalced too.

My C5 had new rear discs, pads and callipers just before i bought it, due to this reason. I have the bill for around £400!

Ive recently fitted a calliper to the SX C5 as they were starting to twist and wear the pads wedge shaped. One one calliper was needed as the other side was fine, corroding but a good sanding down had it good to go again.

I bet if you take the rear pads out of most C5s you will see they have worn wedge like. Just because you have not had to have new callipers or had the calliper touching the disc yet doesnt mean its not happening.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Flipping 'eck Clogzz
Not my floor or tools, I scabbed the pictures from a French site. :twisted:
It looks like a piece of laminate on these pictures.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Citroenmad wrote:Yes, this is a well known C5 problem, brake calliper twisting. With some alloy wheel designs and especially C5s with steel wheels (15") the calliper will start to make contact with the inside of the wheels!
No C5s have steel wheels, the ones you are talking about are actually alloys with wheeltrims :shock: Apparently that's becoming quite common.

Our C5's callipers (looks so wrong with two Ls but every dictionary I've looked at says it's right) started to contact the wheel and I was forced to do something about it. I discovered some suitable M10 bolts in my shed so I decided to risk trying it in the driveway. After much buttock clenching the first bolt came out intact and, to my great surprise, it wasn't bent. The second one came out ok too! I chipped the crud out, swapped the brake pads and reassembled. Success!. The other side went equally well.

Encouraged by that I ordered a set of discs and pads (£89 delivered for those plus a set for the Volvo) and fitted them with no problems.

After the disaster I had with the same job on the Xantia I was delighted.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

reblack68 wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Yes, this is a well known C5 problem, brake calliper twisting. With some alloy wheel designs and especially C5s with steel wheels (15") the calliper will start to make contact with the inside of the wheels!
No C5s have steel wheels, the ones you are talking about are actually alloys with wheeltrims :shock: Apparently that's becoming quite common.
Ive seen C5s with steel wheels, the LX has steels. Though you have an LX and you say they have alloys?

The C5 LX i was looking at had steel wheels and wheel trims. Just like the steel wheel i have as a spare.

They catch steel wheels as they have welded sections on the inside of the wheel which make contact with the calliper.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10