Citroen C5 Steering Wheels, they don't wear well ...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: I wonder if a Xantia wheel would fit! :lol:
I was just wondering the same Chris. A MK2 Xantia wheel looks very similar and the leather wears well on those..

Tactilely, I find the MK1 Xantia wheel better as it's chunkier but then I like chunky steering wheels.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I saw someone wearing driving gloves the other day, i couldnt believe it. He looked to be a right faff, it took him about 10 minutes to park his car, getting out a few times to see if it was right then moving it again, then he checked all of the windows were shut by going around feeling the top of them, then he checked twice to see if each door was locked. Though it was exactly the type of person i thought would wear driving gloves :lol: He did have a very nice car though, pretty new Alfa Mito.

I like the look of the C5s wheel and if the leather effect wasnt coming away i wouldnt be at all bothered, as it is quite a chunky wheel.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Citroenmad wrote:then he checked all of the windows were shut by going around feeling the top of them, then he checked twice to see if each door was locked.
I have a neighbour who does exactly that, but about 10 times. First he checks the windows encircling the car like a bird of prey, then the door locks...and seems to spend an entire age until he's satisfied. I know it's probably an OCD he's suffering from (and I am sympathetic), but the indecision and uncertainty is a sight to behold.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, classic case of OCD :D

It takes one to know one :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

CitroJim wrote:Yep, classic case of OCD :D

It takes one to know one :wink:
Oh I've got several manifestations of the condition, nearly all related to mechanically informative Internet forum boards. :lol:
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

frenchcarnut wrote:Oh I've got several manifestations of the condition, nearly all related to mechanically informative Internet forum boards. :lol:
I wish that was my only manifestation :roll: Takes me ages to leave the house in the mornings. I check at least three times the gas is off, electrical appliances are off and so on...

Then I have to check the house is locked several times...

And that's just part of it...

OCD is no laughing matter :twisted:
Jim

frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

CitroJim wrote:that's just part of it...

OCD is no laughing matter :twisted:
I notice it gets worse as you get older. Certainly the case for me....until I get beyond middle age when I expect BCS (Beyond Caring Syndrome) to well and truly kick in!!!!
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think some of these lower level disorders can be seen like a shopping trolley. These never run true; they always take a succession of nudges and the ocasional brute effort to keep more or less on course.

The other trick is to develop a liking for masochism. Then you can enjoy not allowing yourself the "necessary" checklists/routines. :lol:

It's also amazing how effective (sad but true!) nicotine is as a symptom weakener for many people affected by low level disorders. Take it away and things often fall significantly apart.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

The wheel on my C5 was sticky when I bought it. I bought a leather steering wheel glove from Halfords, a length of black thread from Hobbycraft and spent several hours lacing it on. Not ideal but it fixed the problem and wasn't intrusive or bulky.

Steve.
not applicable
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

OCD indeed, im sure i have some mild form of it, as im a little like what has been mentioned and with odd things.
steelcityuk wrote:The wheel on my C5 was sticky when I bought it. I bought a leather steering wheel glove from Halfords, a length of black thread from Hobbycraft and spent several hours lacing it on. Not ideal but it fixed the problem and wasn't intrusive or bulky.

Steve.
Our previous C5 estate had a stitched on wheel cover, it was ok and felt quite good, but i didnt like the rough stitching!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

My C5 steering wheel was very sticky when I got it too, so I cleaned it off with Acetone (nail polish remover). I had assumed it was just a build up of dirt/oil/cr4p from the hands of the previous owner...

Took a lot to get the gunk to go, but its been lovely since. Felt a bit iffy at first (too clean and a bit residual stickyness) but its settled down nicely.
JLS
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

jimleshed wrote:My C5 steering wheel was very sticky when I got it too, so I cleaned it off with Acetone (nail polish remover). I had assumed it was just a build up of dirt/oil/cr4p from the hands of the previous owner...

Took a lot to get the gunk to go, but its been lovely since. Felt a bit iffy at first (too clean and a bit residual stickyness) but its settled down nicely.
JLS
Thats interesting, might give that a go.

Mine isnt too bad at the moment, but it will get there.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I had a similar problem with my old Bx and my MkI Xantia, both steering wheels started to 'decay'! I DID find out the problem though.... my wife used hand cream and something in the hand cream reacted to the steering wheel material. The hand cream had lanolin in it and I think that was the cause. Maybe just maybe that could be the cause????

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

addo wrote:I think some of these lower level disorders can be seen like a shopping trolley. These never run true; they always take a succession of nudges and the ocasional brute effort to keep more or less on course.

The other trick is to develop a liking for masochism. Then you can enjoy not allowing yourself the "necessary" checklists/routines. :lol:

It's also amazing how effective (sad but true!) nicotine is as a symptom weakener for many people affected by low level disorders. Take it away and things often fall significantly apart.
True but I have also observed that alcohol can restore a degree of balance in these matters at the risk of upsetting the mechanical balance :-)
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »