Couple Questions about Xantia!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ref

Post by Ref »

Old-Guy wrote:Over-optimistic fuel gauge - I'd check the easy and obvious first:

1. Are the connections at the sender unit clean and and firmly located?

2. Remove the tank unit (it will drip so have a fuel-proof container to put it in) and check that the float arm isn't bent downwards and there's nothing preventing full travel. While you're at it, clean the in-tank filter if there is one.

Jim's suggestion about coolant stains as a give-away for pin-holes - look at both faces of the radiator (and elsewhere); the front face of the radiator is more vulnerable to impact damage and corrosion.
Is the only way to get to the float is to remove the tank? i'm a noob sorry
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Lift the rear seat squab and there is an access panel under it.

Lay down some polythene sheeting covered by something absorbent - old towels or sheets, and have a clean bucket or similar to put the pump/sender into.

Remove the access panel, tie up the pipes and leads before disconnecting them to prevent losing them down the side of the tank.
Unclip them then remove the locking collar - which can be a challenge.

Carefully lift out the pump and sender for checking and cleaning.
Ref

Post by Ref »

myglaren wrote:Lift the rear seat squab and there is an access panel under it.

Lay down some polythene sheeting covered by something absorbent - old towels or sheets, and have a clean bucket or similar to put the pump/sender into.

Remove the access panel, tie up the pipes and leads before disconnecting them to prevent losing them down the side of the tank.
Unclip them then remove the locking collar - which can be a challenge.

Carefully lift out the pump and sender for checking and cleaning.
Added to the to do list, many thanks!
Ref

Post by Ref »

Old-Guy wrote: Whining wheel is wheel bearing. Leaning wheel could be just wheel bearing if worn to extreme, but more likely to be rear arm.
i went to buy the arm bearing and the guy there gave me this
http://us.gsp.cn/main/proView.asp?id0=2&id1=2&id=12
and since they don't speak english here i feel it's not the right one, any ideas?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, that's not the one.

Arm bearing kits look like this:

This is the full kit. Just the taper roller bearings can be bought separately...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ref

Post by Ref »

thanks Jim will return it tomorrow then!
Ref

Post by Ref »

got the arm bearing thing and will fit it this week end, the clock and heater control lights where out i gave them a little knock as it was adviced in someother post and they came back to life lol amazing.
Ref

Post by Ref »

OK Changed the wheel bearing and resolved the coolant leak which was just the cap, now when i jacked the car it seems like there might be a leak from the gear box i couldn't see where it is coming from or is it a leak or not, has anyone ran through something like this? also is there a recommended transmission oil?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A favourite place for the gearbox to leak is from the driveshaft seals. It's recommended they're replaced whenever the driveshafts are disturbed...

Another cause can be overfilling and oil blowing out of the breather on top.

Only thing to do is to give the gearbox a good cleanup to remove all the old oil and then watching carefully to see where fresh leaks first emerge.

I take it that it is a manual gearbox?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ref

Post by Ref »

CitroJim wrote:A favourite place for the gearbox to leak is from the driveshaft seals. It's recommended they're replaced whenever the driveshafts are disturbed...

Another cause can be overfilling and oil blowing out of the breather on top.

Only thing to do is to give the gearbox a good cleanup to remove all the old oil and then watching carefully to see where fresh leaks first emerge.

I take it that it is a manual gearbox?
yes it is manual gearbox, it looks like it's coming from the housing as everything else is clean, could be a crack? guess the best answer is to take your advice and clean it!