Xantia Comfort?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've always understood sphere volume to play a large part in that aspect of ride comfort - going to a larger sphere gives you more compressible gas at the original pressure, same suface area.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hydropnumatic suspension is like that, beautiful ride over large undulations at speed but won't cope with small sharp bumps. My best XM gives a surperb ride on good roads but nearly shakes your teeth loose on the forest track I have to drive over to reach the road.

I have a BMW 5 series which are renowned for a good ride - and for a conventionally sprung vehicle they are not bad, it rides as well as the XM on the track but is rubbish compared with it on the road.

Peter
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Thanks for this re-assuring post. I've had two Xantiae and on both thought that, while really good on good roads, did bump around a bit on less-good surfaces.

On my first car I did find, however, that changing the rear three spheres did improve things a bit.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

rmunns wrote:Thanks for this re-assuring post. I've had two Xantiae and on both thought that, while really good on good roads, did bump around a bit on less-good surfaces.

On my first car I did find, however, that changing the rear three spheres did improve things a bit.
Its also put my mind to rest a little bit :)
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sphere changes - by default - introduce air, oddly enough a compressible gas at low pressure.

I believe that as we bed in a new sphere set, we gradually become accustomed to the air being purged from it, so the change in ride quality isn't "night and day" like when we go from flat to fully charged.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Peter.N. wrote:Hydropnumatic suspension is like that, beautiful ride over large undulations at speed but won't cope with small sharp bumps. My best XM gives a surperb ride on good roads but nearly shakes your teeth loose on the forest track I have to drive over to reach the road.

I have a BMW 5 series which are renowned for a good ride - and for a conventionally sprung vehicle they are not bad, it rides as well as the XM on the track but is rubbish compared with it on the road.

Peter
I must agree with you Peter, I currently run a 5 series as a daily workhorse and find the ride more than acceptable.. on the other hand the Xantia V6 is very good on motorways etc but the ride is spoilt around town with drain covers pot holes etc. Incidentally the Xantia has 'fresh' spheres all round with 'comfort' or non hydractive spheres on the corners and I shan't make that mistake again... a bit like sailing a ship!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Ian

My estate has comfort spheres which I find quite acceptable but on the hatch rear the ride is a bit nautical.

My 5 series is an estate with rear air suspension which I understand does make the ride harder and is only comparable with the XM over rough unmade roads, otherwise not nearly as good a ride.

Tyre type and pressures can have a marked effect on the ride, unless I am carrying a full load I tend to run mine a little underinflated which makes quite a difference at low speed, the figures given are assuming a full load. The BMW gives different pressures for fully and partly loaded and they are quite a bit different.

There is quite a variation in tread stiffness between different tyres, what I have done in the past is to get my local friendly tyre fitter to let me 'feel' the tyres on offer, hold them by the edge and press your thumbs into the center of the tread and see how much force is required to push it in.

Peter
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Your right, tyres have a big effect on the ride and handling feel of a car.

I know someone with an XM who has over-pressured spheres all round and has their tyres very soft, this does give it an ocean liner like ride but i can't imagine its too good to drive or very safe with its very squidgy tyres.

Michelin often offer very soft sidewalls - hence Citroens being fitted with these as standard. I usually find that cheaper brands have very stiff sidewall, which along with the bad ride i would think also contributes to the awful grip as the tyre is unable to flex to the road.

I always run our cars tyres at the lower recommended pressure, sometimes one or two PSi less. I usually play around and see what works best, taking into account, ride, handling, feel and tyre wear. I find different tyres work better at different pressures.

Tyre pressures for the Xm are stated for an empty car and driver, there is an upper limit for loaded. Same with the C5s etc.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10