Xantia Niggles

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LaLinea
My Cars:

Post by LaLinea »

Kleber Dynaxer HP2 are very soft tires so if you like to drive fast on twisty roads they worn out fast. Dunlop Fast Response SP2 are good good and fitted on my BMW and that car have been driven like I had stole the car and fuel! Good on wet, dry and gravel, good price. SP2 is also a bit soft but harder then Dynaxer.
'00 Xantia 1.8i Millenium estate
'96 BMW 328iA Coupe

Youtube in Myspace, and I'll Google your Yahoo ;)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Check at the pump that it is actually pushing water out. To blow it out with an airline it needs to be from the pump end anyway as there is a one-way valve in the pipe.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stepto wrote
"Thought I might try an air line on the rear wash.)

if you use and air line with the jet in place and blowing from the out side, all you will do is push the blockage (in Vince's case dried up wax :twisted: )
back into the pipe, then when you use your washers the crap will go back into the jet,

Mark wrote
"If its the same as mine its because the hole through the attual wiper motor is rusty!"

this is the BX front washer syndrom, i have in my tool box a length of stiff wire with a spiral along its length,
this is just the right thickness to clean the BX metal tube running through the wiper spindle, but mind you disconect the rubber pipe from top and bottom of the metal pipe,

regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

rmunns wrote:Strange that you're paranoid about brakes but then fit second-hand tyres that have an unknown history. The time you find out that one of them was kerbed at 40mph is when you emergency brake.
the trick is not to put yourself in that situation give yourself plenty of time to stop if need be.
in 20 years of driving mostly citroens Ive only ever had one blowout on the front and that wasn't a part worn tyre, I guess I tend to go for the part worns not just for cheapness but because the fella who supplies them knows how to balance them properly and keep them balanced first try.
he is old school and really knows his game very well.
its a shame he doesnt do tracking anymore because he was far ahead of any so called proffessional garage.
As for kerbed tyres they go in his shredder and end up in playgrounds.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

In fairness, do you ever know when your going to have to do an emergency stop? Same as its not often someone knows they are going to have a crash, or they would avoid it!

I didnt know that a lot of the part worn tyres come in from Germany, that is interesting and explains the availability of so many part worns.

If it was a choice between budget tyres (Heros, Triangles, Linglongs etc) or high quality part worn tyres, id go the part worn route. Id say that some budget brands are dangerous and i do wonder how many accidents could have been avoided if better quality rubber had been fitted.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

the part worn supplier I use is based right next to a company car storage facility (a huge car park) where the cars await a valet new tyres and either re-issue or selling on via auction, many of the corporate vechicles have their tyres changed much more frequently than the average vechicle, the tyres that come off of these cars are recycled.
What I do like about part worns is once they are balanced they stay balanced there is no going back for a second balancing half way through the tyres life.

kerbing can usually be detected by an elongated dent in the wall/tread of the tyre or a flat spot on the internal wire ring.

My last New front two were NEXEN tyres (printed in caps on the tyre).
although great tyres in the dry absolutely useless in the wet, they cost about £42 + vat each and claim to be a mid range tyre, I wont be buying them again grip goes out of the window completely in the rain nearly always loosing traction from a standing start in the wet.

they have no directional rotation and can be used in either direction so the tread pattern can be fitted one way on one side and in the opposite direction on the other side, unfortunately I think this means that grip is subsituted by the tread patterns being put on the vechicle in different directions, when I bought some new wheels I asked the tyre company to make sure that the tread patterns were both in the same direction and low and behold it has made a small difference in wet weather.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Right. Turns out one of the front pads was jammed. It was like brand new but the other one on that side was down to the metal. Both disks trashed so bought a new pair and new pad, all Bendix. What a difference! Not bedded in fully yet but much more bite.

Changed the accumulator while I was at it. I knew it was shot as it was ticking every few seconds. Well now the pump kicks in about once a minute, the STOP light goes out straight away and it rises and falls much more quickly. I may be imagining it but the steering feels better too now? Is there a seal butween that sphere and the housing? There wasn't one there and I fitted the new one in the same way and there's no leaks.

Fitted a K and N air filter I got cheap off Ebay. No idea if it makes a difference but I like the intake noise!