C5 Aircon flap motor - long spline

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 Aircon flap motor - long spline

Post by myglaren »

Clogzz wrote:Don’t know if the flap comes separately, picture of the heater box in this topic:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 12&t=37424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seen a story that the flaps are openings in a cylinder turned by the spline, and has friction from foamy air seals.
Picture of a dash out job, with the heater box firmly fixed to the tunnel. :evil:

Hells bells! I'd scrap the C5 before tackling that - looks like a months job at least.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My comment are generalisations.

I have dismantled and reassembled a number of heater boxes, both Valeo and Behr, of different PSA cars.

The flap motors and train components (such as that which has broken on yours) fail because the heater box housing distorts with age/heat cycling and this "grabs" the heater flaps, making the effort required much much greater. Grease applied at the factory also dries up or is blotted by dust - which further adds friction.

The receiving (female) spline can usually be detached from the cross shaft - it will probably have a detent barb not unlike many wiring plugs - you depress it with a pick tool and pull the spline outwards.

As this is dash out work, with your opportunity thuis provided it is commonsense to investigate the movement of all flaps, and if necessary remove the heater box entirely to rectify by trimming flap edges.
the bish
My Cars:

Post by the bish »

Thanks for taking the time to reply gents.

It's looking like it's going to be a garage job I don't fancy tackling a dash out job myself.

I have had car dash's out in the past, but I can't spare the time to do it myself and I can't afford to have the car off the road for any length of time.
gjtands

Post by gjtands »

Any idea how to get to this fault on the drivers side
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

myglaren wrote:... Hells bells! I'd scrap the C5 before tackling that - looks like a months job at least.
:evil: it looks like the nightmare job of heater matrix replacement in Xantia :shock: I never had to do it but I've seen some pics of the process.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
1275jstrap

Post by 1275jstrap »

Yes you can get the flaps seperate for the c5 they are very weak in design and a big job to do we have done about half a dozen C5 mk2 and 407, Dash completly out and remove and split heater box to replace. Not nice about a days work.
I can get you a part number if you like.