1999 Xsara head gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is very easy realy and you dont need to get directly at the flywheel as there is a peg sized small hole in the crank case, about two to three inch's up from the ledge at the bottom edge of the crank case and at the gear box end,

it can be easaly reached from under the bonnet,

regards malcolm
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

citronut wrote:it is very easy realy and you dont need to get directly at the flywheel as there is a peg sized small hole in the crank case, about two to three inch's up from the ledge at the bottom edge of the crank case and at the gear box end,

it can be easaly reached from under the bonnet,

regards malcolm
By the image shown on http://www.eastment.net/206cb/206cbpage2.htm i presume this is what u mean.

So do i do the following;

Release tensioner.
remove belt.
turn cam sprocket anti-clockwise to the point were i can get the bolt back in the hole. (only about 90 degrees)
put peice of brake pipe into hole on crank case and retate the flywheel back (about 45 degrees until the pipe pushes right in.

Thats how i would image it, however please correct me if im wrong lol

d3xt0r

appreciate all the help chaps
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Ideally you should have the pins in before releasing the belt / tensioner.

Get the crank one in first. Then check the cam one is ok (it will either be OK or 180degree's out, if its out remove crank pin and turn engine another turn and try again)

Is best to not turn anything without belt fitted if possible...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

spider wrote:Ideally you should have the pins in before releasing the belt / tensioner.

Get the crank one in first. Then check the cam one is ok (it will either be OK or 180degree's out, if its out remove crank pin and turn engine another turn and try again)

Is best to not turn anything without belt fitted if possible...
I will try and fit the peg in the crank case first then if not move it back.

Hope it works. its my first time doing such a big job(big for me anyway)

cheers
d3xt0r
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you need to gently juggle the cam and the crank till you get them peged,

but to make sure you have the crank at TDC remove 1 or 4 spark plug and feel for the piston getting to the end of its stroke, then rock the crank till the peg drops in,

also whilst the cam belt is removed take the tensioner off by undoing the 13mm nut and sliding it of the spindle, now you can find/make a square drive/tool to adjust the tensioner once the belt is re/fitted,

as i said earlier early tensioners have a slightly smaller square hole than the later 1/4 drive type,

imade my earlyer tool by lopping the head of a coach bolt, filed the square end to fit the tensioner hole, then put a right angled bend about half an inch donw the shank from the square end,

regards nmalcolm
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

ok guys, everything back together engine running fine upto temperature

while ideling i herd a whipping sound. checked under bonnet and the auxiliary belt had jumped and half stripped.

could something ive done cause this. hope all is fine.

regards
d3xt0r

EDIT: The belt from the Alternator to the crank shaft, this belt only does the alternator, it doesnt do the water pump of power steering, thats a different belt.

Cant seem to find the part number for the belt and eurocarparts doesnt show it either.

The belt has tracks not teeth and i can only find belts with teeth. any ideas.

thanks
1999 Citroën Xsara Westcoast 1.4i
d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

sorry to drag up an old thread but the car has been on the drive for a few months as i used my other car.

the alternator belt problem still exsists. ive released the nut so it can slide back and forth but its not budging.

any ideas? tryed loosening the other bolts but that just loosens the alternator from its bracket and doesnt help
spider

Post by spider »

I've not re-read the whole topic (sorry)

Depending on the type there's (I'm assuming manual adjustment with a 10mm bolt) a big bolt underneath 21 or so mm, that needs not to come out but to be undone half a turn or so otherwise it will not pivot.
Andy.

d3xt0r
My Cars:

Post by d3xt0r »

Thanks spider, i noticed that bolt later on and gave it a go. Job done but what a fanny on to turn that 10mm bolt, had to do it 45degree turns with a small spanner as i couldnt get in with my socket as ive only got a 1/2" set.

Took about 2hrs on total to losen it, change belt and tighten again.

but 2hrs is nothing compared to forking money out.

Cheers
spider

Post by spider »

You're welcome.

I have a tiny ratchet spanner to do these. Much easier.
Andy.