xsara Automatic gearbox,Very Strange behavior

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OzRX4
My Cars:

Post by OzRX4 »

CitroJim wrote:
OzRX4 wrote: The ELF RENAULTMATIC D3 SYN is what Renault recommend for the same transmission, i.e. DPO as per Renault nomenclature. {I'd paste the file but as I am a computer fool I can't
:cry: :oops:
Thanks Oz, brilliant.

Here's the Elf Spec. sheetand as the DPO and AL4 is one and the same 'box, that's an excellent discovery. The Elf stuff should therefore be OK in the 4HP20 too if the Mobil/Esso recommended LT is not available.
There's so much talk of fluids and the correct type for what box Jim that it isn't funny. Good ole' AlanS will be looking down at me and laughing, :lol: 'cause I am beating the drum he so faithfully rapped for years.
I've got on file here somewhere a ZF spec sheet for oils for all their boxes and the 4HP20 does have different requirements than the earlier ones.
Here's a link to a USA based re builder who has parts and a forum for discussion and questions about transmissions. He seems to know his stuff and was puzzled when i mentioned the problems associated with the boxes on Euro cars. Here's the link for Cobra transmissions, you'll have to have a poke around for the forum.
http://cobratransmission.blogspot.com/
Can't locate the ZF files, will look further.
LIFE: the cost of living hasn't reduced it's popularity

2001 Renault Scenic RX4 2.0i
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.8i (auto...hers)
1969 Renault R10 's' replica(in progress)
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I get the distinct impression that automatics are largely misunderstood here in Europe.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:I get the distinct impression that automatics are largely misunderstood here in Europe.
D'know Sid, I get the very same impression.

Much maligned too at times.

People just don't know how good they are these days. I worry they base their opinions on the hydro-mechanical 'boxes of old, such as the BW35

They need to sample a good electronic one to know just how magical they are...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
OzRX4
My Cars:

Post by OzRX4 »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:I get the distinct impression that automatics are largely misunderstood here in Europe.
AT least these days there is the benefit of the innenet :lol: for experience sharing.
Years ago, when they released DIII, many auto shops and resellers were under the impression it replaced DII. That could not be further from the truth. I can say I am guilty of probably selling some as such, because we were fed that line by the boss and the Oil company reps. I'd have no idea how many transmissions were likely destroyed or required major work after this butt here'd have been a few if the Citroen numbers are anything to go by.
Totally agree on the newer electriccery boxes being better. Wife has a 1998 Xsara and one of our sons just bought a 2003 Clio. The transmissions behave so differently that my wife, at this stage doesn't like the Clio much as she's used to the old hydro type 4HP14 of the Xsara. I love it and when the valve solenoid is replaced, it should be better again.
LIFE: the cost of living hasn't reduced it's popularity

2001 Renault Scenic RX4 2.0i
1998 Citroen Xsara 1.8i (auto...hers)
1969 Renault R10 's' replica(in progress)
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Years ago, when they released DIII, many auto shops and resellers were under the impression it replaced DII. That could not be further from the truth.
This is still very much an issue over here, ask for Dex 2 you'll be offered Dex 3, actually ask for any AFT you'll be handed Dex 3.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
abdalla

Post by abdalla »

I asked Citroen dealer and told me that they use the ORIGINAL TOTAL oil !!!,

Actually I checked Citroen Service and found that I shall use LT 71141 ATF ...As you told me :) .

But this is ESSO product and I do not have ESSO dealer.

what about MOBIL ?

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Esso and Mobil LT71141 is exactly the same stuff. Esso and Mobil are one and the same company these days...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Your Citroen parts department should be able to supply you.
In my experience sometimes you meet a parts dept guy who knows what he's talking about, but most of the time they have no clue, and try to fob me off with Total AFT which is a red Dexron 3 based fluid, however if your insistent they usually 'find' the correct fluid.

Bottle should look like this.

Thats the stuff I've always got

Although it seems the bottles could look like either of these.

I guess as long as the bottle says LT71141 its the correct stuff.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx