Can you believe it?!!!! C5 door handle snapped off.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Ow yes, it works for me too now, so where did I goof ? :oops:
First time it went to an ex.com/ place :?: that had nothing coming from it.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Clogzz wrote:You’re welcome, but how did you print, laminate and reply in two minutes ? :lol:
I'm in my office with a laminator on. I don't know if you noticed, but I edited in the 'laminated' word afterwards. And I'm quick!!! :wink:
Clogzz wrote:I get the diagrams from http://service.Citroën.com
You can enrol by filling the application to their requirements. :twisted:
Marvellous, thanks Edit: I have to be a professional not an ordinary end user. Oh well :cry:
Clogzz wrote:Looked at a C15 clutch, but there are different ones depending on engine and RPO number; there’s even an electric clutch.
I know, but at least I can ensure all the variants available for a particular year and RPO before entrusting it with dealers who keep supplying wrong parts.

Thanks for your help, appreciated
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

a professional
So did I, and I improvised myself as a professional. :D
It’s not cheating; it’s filling the application to their requirements. :twisted:
I got an address from a little industrial grotto, and they won’t come checking.

Some members tell us with certainty that you can enrol as an end user, but I haven’t worked that out yet.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Managed to do this over the weekend without too much bother. I decided to reuse the rear O/S assy (and wait for that to turn up at a local scrappy), and fit it to the front. Can't believe how cheap the trim is!!!

Anyway, on my C5 the narrow and wide plastic hangers of the latch assy that attach it to the door body are reversed on the rear. So I had to shave some plastic off to get it to fit.

Other than that, slightly damaged one handle shroud retainer from the rear, but managed to do the job in under an hour.

Thanks to everyone - esp Clogzz for the procedure and some general info I needed about another vehicle, and coastline taxis for the heads up in swapping the rear with the front. This'll give me some breathing space while I source a replacement rear handle assy.

.....and now I don't have to keep winding the window down to get out :lol: :lol:
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Proinsias
My Cars:

C5 Interior door handle

Post by Proinsias »

I would have been happy with 40 quid for a handle. The dealer in Perth wanted $250 plus $150 to fit it!! So.......
It seems these handles break quite readily after a few years - the casting is good but the leverage on the regularly used handles snaps them at the weakest point, just above the hinge pin. What I did was disassemble the front door panel (easy done - nothing should be forced off - all parts just unclip - take your time). Then I removed the complete handle assembly - again easy, 2 screws and wriggle off the wire lever. With the complete casting off, I drilled 2 small holes through the base of the casting, in line with the 2 grooves in the upper handle. Into this I poured a resin glue mix (something like Liquid Metal from Selleys or Halfords). Before it set, I inserted 2 nails (yes - the sort used in woodwork!) through the holes in the base and up into the grooves. Some jiggling with a couple of clamps held the whole thing together while the resin set. I left it 24 hours then used a small sanding disk in an angle-grinder to tidy the whole lot up. Once done, reassemble the door. I did this 18 months ago and all is still well. Cheers. $400 saved!!
Citrnman
frenchcarnut

Re: C5 Interior door handle

Post by frenchcarnut »

Proinsias wrote:I would have been happy with 40 quid for a handle. The dealer in Perth wanted $250 plus $150 to fit it!!
That's 'an arm and a leg' pricing - even with the exchange rate (£246 as of Google Currency Converter). Disgusting! But then if I'd asked Citroen to fit it, I bet £246 wouldn't be far off the total mark, albeit with £200 for Labour costs and charges for broken clips :roll:
Proinsias wrote:So.......
It seems these handles break quite readily after a few years - the casting is good but the leverage on the regularly used handles snaps them at the weakest point, just above the hinge pin. ...... I drilled 2 small holes through the base of the casting, in line with the 2 grooves in the upper handle. Into this I poured a resin glue mix (something like Liquid Metal from Selleys or Halfords). Before it set, I inserted 2 nails (yes - the sort used in woodwork!) through the holes in the base and up into the grooves. Some jiggling with a couple of clamps held the whole thing together while the resin set. I left it 24 hours then used a small sanding disk in an angle-grinder to tidy the whole lot up. Once done, reassemble the door. I did this 18 months ago and all is still well. Cheers. $400 saved!!
Planet saver too (well in theory anyway). Well done. There's nothing like a bit of ingenuity to stick two fingers up to the extortionists!!!
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
frenchcarnut

Re: Can you believe it?!!!! C5 door handle snapped off.

Post by frenchcarnut »

Update: Just to let you know, the rear I moved in order to replace the front, has now just been replaced thanks to scrappie. How many months? :roll: =D> :lol:

Edit Almost 3 years :oops:
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Same speed i work at!
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Mikrosoft
My Cars:

Post by Mikrosoft »

:P

frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Mikrosoft wrote::P

LOL dededeedddddeee <Bam>. "Yes, that Citroen owner went through a timewarp Robin. The Joker returned his inner rear right hand door handle in the nick of time. <crash> <Wallop>
SaabC5 wrote:Same speed i work at!
Yes shameful isn't it Saab?
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They are cheap enough off ebay, that's where I got mine from, and easy to fit.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C5-20 ... 3a8350d228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Peter.N. wrote:They are cheap enough off ebay, that's where I got mine from, and easy to fit.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C5-20 ... 3a8350d228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, have done mine and they are easy to install aside from the few awkward manoeuvres. However, the joke being, it took me 3 years from moving the rear to the front to procuring and installing a new one for the rear #-o :oops: :lol:
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...sounds like me.. :wink:
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Peter.N. wrote:...sounds like me.. :wink:
I'm surprised it got through the MOT without the rear lever installed. It'd fail on the fronts because they told me so with an old classic. I had to sort out some "stickiness" on the opener as it was a "health & safety" issue, and had it got worse, they'd have failed it. But then child locks etc preclude this for the rears I suppose?
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Well, stupid me. Should have left it - all things considered:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 66#p379166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll:
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR