XM 2.1 Rebuild

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Astonishing pictures - no less :-k
Thanks for sharing your work with us \:D/

btw : are you planning to run a garage service later on - in view of the investments in tools i.e. the hydrovane driven sandblaster and mains power installations ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Very nice, I would take more energy than I have just to get it that clean. :(

Peter
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi Anders and Peter,

I've not yet got any intention of running a garage service but with the way things are at work these who knows what I'll have to do. BTW the Hydrovane isn't a monster compressor just an average size home unit.

Thanks for the encouragement. It does help.

Steve.
not applicable
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Very Impressive stuff. I'm too impatient to do all that painting and cleaning!

Xantia 1.9 TD Bosch injectors are the same as a Bosched XM 2.1 injectors in case the three you have lined up aren't up to the job!

Is that a Mitsubishi turbo? Whatever it is, can you advise any parts numbers on there please if they are easy to read?
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

There's a good thread on the 406 forum about using the 405 injection parts here -

http://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12415

The turbo is a Garrett T2. There's a fair few photos on my Flickr page.

Steve.
not applicable
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That really is very impressive Steve :D :D :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

absolutely beautiful steve, its a credit to all of your efforts.

these compressors can they be put inside a cellotex box?

I had similar probs with my neighbours and my so called silent generator, building a cellotex box around it cut the noise from 120 db to 67 db thats 50mm cellotex insulation board around the back sides and front with a 25mm celotex lid a bathroom fan and some flexi ducting for ventellation.
oh and I did forget to mention the floating floor I built for the genny but if you have a concrete floor unlike my wooden shed floor noise travelling downward shouldnt be to bad for your compressors.

my floating floor is made from studing for stud walling glued together to make three platrforms and they are connected together using 6 off set reliant robbin engine mounts the gaps are packed with loft insulation.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Thanks all. I'm hoping it runs as good as it looks but I doubt it somehow after having the injection pump in bits....

Hi Nigel,

I suppose the Hydrovane could but it would need loads of ventilation, they're very smooth and produce a much less aggravating tone than a piston type compressor but do run pretty hot. I've still got loads of Cellotex from another project so may give it a go. I built something similar for my Ultrasonic cleaner (the neighbours moaned about that too!).

Steve.
not applicable
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

steve,

if you can reduce the upward travelling noise it will probably be a lot better just 25mm celotex made a heck of a difference to my genny, but as you say ventelation may be a problem does your machine have its own fan if so maybe you could build a duct to go around it to pull air in from the outside, I use my genny to process veg oil to run my xainta
I used the tin cans to make the ducting for the shed and a Machine mart 20inch fan to do the extraction of hot air this needed some ducting. the air intake for the genny is a bathroom fan I was worried that it wouldnt be enough but it seems to be fine the shed turns into a sauna when you heat up two 250litre drums of waste veg oil. not from the heat of the genny because it is contained in a cellotex box but the heat of the oil, it is great for germinating seeds early for the vegetable plot it stays warm for several days. anyway if you get a visit from the enviroment agency you can at leasdt show that you have made a consious effort to put things right rather than do nothing about it and believe me they do have a little human sympathy even if they do take on the side of the complainant to start with, people who complain generally exagerate their side of the story to try to make it sound worse than it is, I was acdused of running my genny all day every day it has been running on one tuesday and one thrsday every month ussually the last week in the month, keep a diary of when you run the compressor because the enviroment agency will ask the complainant to make a diary to if the two dont tally up they will know instantly wether or not the complainants are lieing.

regards Nigel
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi Nigel,

After buying the Hydrovane they haven't complained so hopefully that's that.

Steve.
not applicable
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

After the recent Bank Holidays and good weather, more progress has been made on the XM.

At this stage the new the timing parts have been fitted and the engine rotated several times to check that nothing clashes and the timing pins can go back in. I also used this to prime the oil pump/system.
After the engine was in location I spun it over for a few seconds without the injectors fitted to pump some oil around it. Threading the main loom took some time to get right because I wanted it to go in the tidiest locations that wouldn't risk chafing. Self amalgamating tape has been used to bind up any exposed wires and openings where the loom exits the flexible plastic conduit.

I finally found my dial test gauge so had to strip some parts back off the engine to allow it to fit. This isn't something I've tried to do before so I've got my fingers crossed.

Steve.
not applicable
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That is very impressive.

I do hope it all works properly first time but with the attention to detail there you shouldn't have any problems.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

exellent work as always Steve, My fingers are crossed for you.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Brilliant work Steve. A very worthwhile car too.

The spigot and spline areas in photo: The best stuff to put on those areas is Rocol or Molyslip ASP paste. The Rocol is £ouch. I have the Molyslip with 60% molybdenum in it.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Well the attempts to start the engine didn't work. Basic checks seemed to indicate that no fuel was being delivered to the injectors. Due to a urge to get things moving I swapped out the injection pump from the one off the spare engine I bought. I set this up using the dial gauge. After a bit of cranking the injector pipes started to leak fuel (I'd left them loose to enable them to prime). Tightening up the pipes allowed the engine to start but boy is it rough and smokey. The engine was only run for a few seconds because it's cooling system is still in bits.

It could be that the reason for the rough running is that the hydraulic tappets haven't yet filled with oil. During the rebuild I squeezed out all I could or I've made a mess of the timing. So rebuilding continues.

Problems ahead including rebuilding the calipers, the parking brake mechanism is proving difficult to compress. Also getting hold of a DIN flaring tool that capable of producing a flare on the steel pipe that connects to the flexibles. It's seem that flare tools capable of working on steel are much more expensive and I'm reluctant to spend £100 on a tool I'll use once. Tool hire shops don't seem to have flare tools for hire.

Steve.
not applicable